Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Contemplating the move back home

Contemplating the move back home

Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contemplating the move back home

Hi All, I found this site yesterday and it was a great revelation. Already feel that I have friends who understand how I feel, especially on the "Over 50s & 60s moving back to the UK" forum. I left England 40 years ago! and have lived in NewOrleans, Boston, Calgary, Lethbridge, Vancouver and now on Salt Spring Island. I still obsess about all things British and have been thinking about moving back for the last 10-15 years, but it's a huge move for many reasons (age, money, work, house, etc.) and want to be sure before I go ahead.
Don't get me wrong, it is great here...but it's just not England and I never really feel that I belong. I crave the beautiful English countryside, the ancient sites, the closeness to Europe, the food, the telly, the old ways, etc., etc., etc. I think the time has come tocome home.
Linda aka bandrui
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating the move back home

Originally Posted by bandrui
Hi All, I found this site yesterday and it was a great revelation. Already feel that I have friends who understand how I feel, especially on the "Over 50s & 60s moving back to the UK" forum. I left England 40 years ago! and have lived in NewOrleans, Boston, Calgary, Lethbridge, Vancouver and now on Salt Spring Island. I still obsess about all things British and have been thinking about moving back for the last 10-15 years, but it's a huge move for many reasons (age, money, work, house, etc.) and want to be sure before I go ahead.
Don't get me wrong, it is great here...but it's just not England and I never really feel that I belong. I crave the beautiful English countryside, the ancient sites, the closeness to Europe, the food, the telly, the old ways, etc., etc., etc. I think the time has come tocome home.
Linda aka bandrui
Hey Linda...welcome to BE.

I'm so glad you've found us. The MBTTUK forum is the best isn't it? I used to think I was the only one who longed to be back in the UK...it really helps to know there are plenty of others out there...just like me.

Have you had a look at the BE Wiki? Another great resource for information.

Please shout out if you need any help.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 3:19 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bandrui,

I am so pleased you are enjoying being part of BE. YOu seem to be finding your way around ok, but don't forget there are plenty of us around if you get stuck on anything.

Welcome and I hope you will be with us a while, we've got great friendships to be made here
Old Feb 25th 2011, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hey Linda...welcome to BE.

I'm so glad you've found us. The MBTTUK forum is the best isn't it? I used to think I was the only one who longed to be back in the UK...it really helps to know there are plenty of others out there...just like me.

Have you had a look at the BE Wiki? Another great resource for information.

Please shout out if you need any help.
Really appreciate your message. We are having a fairly rare freeze here at the moment so can't get out to my gardening jobs and have been on this site for 2 1/2 days almost solid now!
Yes, it REALLY helps to know there are others who feel like I do. Off to take a look at BE WIki.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Really appreciate your message. We are having a fairly rare freeze here at the moment so can't get out to my gardening jobs and have been on this site for 2 1/2 days almost solid now!
Yes, it REALLY helps to know there are others who feel like I do. Off to take a look at BE WIki.

Heck it's been freezing here since Christmas. I've lost count of the number of snow storms we've had. Pouring with rain today and above freezing temps so I'm hoping it will wash much of the snow away. I can already see patches of brown grass. The grass turns brown in winter because it's so cold and brown in summer because it's so hot and little rain.

Ah ah!! You're hooked on BE already.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 12th 2019 at 10:55 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Heck it's been freezing here since Christmas. I've lost count of the number of snow storms we've had. Pouring with rain today and above freezing temps so I'm hoping it will wash much of the snow away. I can already see patches of brown grass. The grass turns brown in winter because it's so cold and brown in summer because it's so hot and little rain.

Ah ah!! You're hooked on BE already.
I know what you mean. I lived in Boston for a while and I actually immigrated to US at McQuire AFB in New Jersey. We tend to get lots of rain here on the West Coast in the winter but summers are nice.
Yes... hooked for sure. Great site! Finally a place to get some of my questions answered.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I know what you mean. I lived in Boston for a while and I actually immigrated to US at McQuire AFB in New Jersey. We tend to get lots of rain here on the West Coast in the winter but summers are nice.
Yes... hooked for sure. Great site! Finally a place to get some of my questions answered.
This site should come with a health warning!!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

This site should come with a health warning!!
No kidding.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:48 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Linda

Welcome aboard from me too.
It sure is addictive - it is probably the only thing which I find enjoyable on the computer !

Glad to hear you are enjoying it?

If you return to the UK where do you think you will go?

Dread - x
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Linda

Welcome aboard from me too.
It sure is addictive - it is probably the only thing which I find enjoyable on the computer !

Glad to hear you are enjoying it?

If you return to the UK where do you think you will go?

Dread - x
Well, I was born and raised in Bedford, have family in the potteries and Worcestershire but am thinking about an area in the South West probably Wiltshire or Somerset .... near Salisbury? Frome?... because I want to be equally accesible to Worcester (for family research), London, Glastonbury, Avebury and the Salisbury plain and the seaside, devon and Cornwall so Wiltshire and Somerset are pretty central to all these. But honestly, who knows?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 6:38 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I was born and raised in Bedford, have family in the potteries and Worcestershire but am thinking about an area in the South West probably Wiltshire or Somerset .... near Salisbury? Frome?... because I want to be equally accesible to Worcester (for family research), London, Glastonbury, Avebury and the Salisbury plain and the seaside, devon and Cornwall so Wiltshire and Somerset are pretty central to all these. But honestly, who knows?
The South is good - Wiltshire and Somerset are beautiful parts of the world so good choice. Salisbury is a great city - everything you need on the doorstep but still surrounded by some beautiful countryside within minutes.
property prices are pretty high there though, but not as high as some parts of the south.

Good luck with your move

Dread -x
Old Feb 25th 2011, 6:42 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha, you REALLY have been reading up on the over 50's and 60's LOL!!

Welcome Linda and don't be a lurker, pull your chair up and somebody will make you a cuppa.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Ha ha, you REALLY have been reading up on the over 50's and 60's LOL!!

Welcome Linda and don't be a lurker, pull your chair up and somebody will make you a cuppa.

You folks are the best! You have no idea how great it is to have found this site.

Yes, after I saw Frome in the forum I googled it and I thought "I could live there." I work with textiles, dyeing and fibres, and I see it is an artsy community and has a crafts market 1st Sunday of every month. Can you recommend any other communities like this? I would like to live semi-rurally. Currently I live on an acre of land and am very into veggie gardening, seed-saving, alternative living, etc.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:55 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & a warm welcome to the forum from me too.....I've found the MBTTUK sub forum almost as 'addictive' as the NZ sub forum ....once you're hooked there's no escape Noticed your researching a move to the lovely south west which is where I live....try posting a new thread on the MBTTUK forum with specific questions on the towns / areas you've mentioned....I'll look out for you.
good luck with your plans.....'see you soon'
B