Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Making the Dream Come True - looking at emigrating to Australia

Making the Dream Come True - looking at emigrating to Australia

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:02 am
Just Joined

miketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nice
Default Making the Dream Come True - looking at emigrating to Australia

Hi everyone,

Great to be here and reading all your threads.

My wife and I (and can't forget the little one, daughter 5) are currently looking at emigrating to Australia.

It is something that we have considered since we were both in the forces, but like most things in life it just gets pushed to the side and life goes on.

We have now sat down together and decided that if we are going to do it we need to do it and stop procrastinating.

We currently live in Worksop, Nottinghamshire and I run a Franchise Business and my wife works in clerical support.

I must admit it is very daunting. We are going to an emigration expo in Birmingham next months to see whats what, but I must say without the internet finding info out would be a bloody nightmare.

Look forward to chatting with you all and any advice would be great.

All the best

Mike
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making the Dream Come True

Hi there Mike...welcome to BE.

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. Moving to a new country is daunting for everyone...but there of plenty of people here who have been in the same boat as yourself...they will try to answer any questions you may have.

We have a great bunch of people who post in our Australia Forums...they will give you tips and advice on life Down Under. The link I have given you will take you to the main index page of the Australia Forum...at the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums. The top forum is the Australia Immigration Forum....the Main forum is for topics relating to Australia and The Barbie is for general chit chat. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of useful info in there.

Before you begin posting please take time to read through the Site Rules and any stickied threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

Kelli28 is the concierge for the Australia forums...so if you have any problems finding your way around our many forums please contact Kelli.

For all other concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. Every BE forum has at least one moderator dedicated to that forum...Australia has 4...Cresta57, Monneypenny20,, Sonlymewalter and Alistairboyle.

I hope you enjoy your time with us and don't forget to shout out should you require any help.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 2nd 2011 at 12:21 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

miketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nicemiketwitty is just really nice
Default Re: Making the Dream Come True - looking at emigrating to Australia

Thanks for your welcome.

Look forward to chatting
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miketwitty
Thanks for your welcome.

Look forward to chatting
We tend to do a lot of that.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Must be a woman thing.

Will probably get a slap for saying that now off the boss.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:33 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mike

You might want to take a look at the Australia visa and immigration forum to see if you are eligible to migrate here.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks Kelli,

Am looking at various online medias with regards to Visa application. on the front of it it is quite scarey, but with the help of various forums like this it makes it a lot easier.

I suppose the sense of not being the only one out there that has been through this life changing experience.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:52 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kelli,

Am looking at various online medias with regards to Visa application. on the front of it it is quite scarey, but with the help of various forums like this it makes it a lot easier.

I suppose the sense of not being the only one out there that has been through this life changing experience.

Thanks again.
It's great to have people in a similar situation as yourself to chat to, funnily enough when I was going through the process none of my friends really cared if I had a case officer or how long processing was taking I think they were all pleased when it finally arrived and I could shut up about it!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Haven't really told anyone in the family that we are doing yet it is that early days.

Will get round to it shortly no doubt and wait for the tellings off by parents and grand parents for going half way round the world.

O well
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Mike. You find lots of useful info for New Zealand's West Island in the Australia forum as I'm sure you've already discovered .

Emigrating is such a roller-coaster ride of emotions but jump on & enjoy the ride

Have a friend who comes from Worksop, her parent's live next door to Lee Westwood's Gran. Just thought I'd get a spot of name-dropping in there

Happy posting & good luck with your plans
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks vitalstatistix. Lee Westwood hey! What a crap golfer. lol. Our next door neighbours are quite pally with his mum actually. very nice lady.

All the best
Old Feb 26th 2011, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Well, my wife and I went to the Downunder live expo today in Birmingham.

Not impressed one little bit.

Very cramped
They were making us pay an extra £2 to get a carrier bag with a couple of magazines and we couldn't get a programme for the day without buying the bag. I know it's only £2, but when you have paid to attend an exhibition you would think you would get a programme at least.

As far as information was concerned I didn't get anything from today that I haven't got from here. So thanks everyone.

We spent all in all 1 hour there. Nevermind, learning curve I suppose.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 7:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Well, my wife and I went to the Downunder live expo today in Birmingham.

Not impressed one little bit.

Very cramped
They were making us pay an extra £2 to get a carrier bag with a couple of magazines and we couldn't get a programme for the day without buying the bag. I know it's only £2, but when you have paid to attend an exhibition you would think you would get a programme at least.

As far as information was concerned I didn't get anything from today that I haven't got from here. So thanks everyone.

We spent all in all 1 hour there. Nevermind, learning curve I suppose.
You'll get loads of info/tips/opinions on here...from people who aren't trying to sell you anything. Although you have to sift through them...they are opinions from people who have moved there and aren't making money out of you.

Have you every been to Oz Mike? I ask because before we moved to the US I dreamed of moving there. 5 years after we moved here we went to Oz on holiday...mainly Sydney. I then realised I could never settle there.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 26th 2011 at 7:09 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

No. Never been to Oz. Have got a few friends over there and when I was still in the Army I nearly transferred to the Australian Army. Back in my younger days obviously.

Moving to Australia has always been something of a pipe dream to be quite honest.

I think the ultimate thing that spures me on to go is the wildlife. I love wildlife and you may ridicule but I love Steve Irwin (God Bless).

I know it is easy to say but we won't knpow we like it until we have done it. Big step to make, but we will have to wait and see. Still early days for us really.