Reload this Page >

British 28 y/o looking to work abroad in multiple cities for a year

British 28 y/o looking to work abroad in multiple cities for a year

Old May 12th 2018, 9:17 am
Just Joined

nayan166 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British 28 y/o looking to work abroad in multiple cities for a year

Hi guys,

I am brand new to the forum! I joined because I need some advice on short term work permits in different countries.

I am a Management Consultant and work in a global company with offices around the world. I have been really keen on spending some time abroad (6 months to 1 year) and experiencing different cultures, and so I spoke to my manager to see what options I had within the company. One option was a sabbatical which I'm exploring but the more attractive option for me is the offer of continuing to work for my UK team but no longer on client facing work, and working remotely from another office.

This is a great option for me because in theory, it gives me the option to work in any city I want where we have an office, in theory. If I was going for a year, I would love to split the time between Singapore, Sydney and San Diego.

My manager is open to this but doesn't know how it would work in terms of work permits. In theory I thought it shouldn't be a problem as I'm still working for the UK business and being paid in my UK bank account. All I'm doing is taking my laptop and getting on a flight and logging on from another country for a few months. She has spoken to HR who have taken it up with the global mobility team, but seems like there may be some visa/work permit implications. Even though they should be sorting out, I want to make sure I have as much information as possible from my side.

Has anyone done something similar to this/know of the rules and regulations relating to visas for this situations, in those countries (Singapore, Australia and USA)? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks
Old May 12th 2018, 9:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British 28 y/o looking to work abroad in multiple cities for a year

Originally Posted by nayan166
Hi guys,

I am brand new to the forum! I joined because I need some advice on short term work permits in different countries.

I am a Management Consultant and work in a global company with offices around the world. I have been really keen on spending some time abroad (6 months to 1 year) and experiencing different cultures, and so I spoke to my manager to see what options I had within the company. One option was a sabbatical which I'm exploring but the more attractive option for me is the offer of continuing to work for my UK team but no longer on client facing work, and working remotely from another office.

This is a great option for me because in theory, it gives me the option to work in any city I want where we have an office, in theory. If I was going for a year, I would love to split the time between Singapore, Sydney and San Diego.

My manager is open to this but doesn't know how it would work in terms of work permits. In theory I thought it shouldn't be a problem as I'm still working for the UK business and being paid in my UK bank account. All I'm doing is taking my laptop and getting on a flight and logging on from another country for a few months. She has spoken to HR who have taken it up with the global mobility team, but seems like there may be some visa/work permit implications. Even though they should be sorting out, I want to make sure I have as much information as possible from my side.

Has anyone done something similar to this/know of the rules and regulations relating to visas for this situations, in those countries (Singapore, Australia and USA)? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks
Welcome to BE

Please have a quick read of the site rules, pale blue bar at the top, and should you have any site related problems please contact one of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom right of each forum page.

You will certainly have problems with San Diego, as you will need a work permit to do any work in the US, and that will have to be applied for by your company, I don't know the answer regarding Australia or Singapore.
Old May 12th 2018, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go the USA what visa would you go on ? Have you done any reading on that ?
Old May 12th 2018, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
If you go the USA what visa would you go on ? Have you done any reading on that ?
not extensively, i was initially hoping a tourirst visa may work as I would only be there for around 3 months but i guess i'll need some kind of working visa
Old May 12th 2018, 4:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nayan166
Hi guys,

Many thanks
As you're under 31 you could look at a Working Holiday Visa for Australia, valid for 12 months. You can only work for one employer for 6 months, but I'm not sure if that only applies to onshore work and whether it would affect your remote working if you were to stay longer than 6 months - would need to check that one with a good migration agent (NOT with the immigration department)
Old May 12th 2018, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to BE

This forum is purely for introductions...I therefore suggest you open a new thread in the forums for the various countries you are interested in. Below is a list of the countries we cover...Australia and the US have dedicated immigration forums.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/livi...ing-abroad-53/
Old May 12th 2018, 5:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The US forum for visa questions is to be found here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/
The forum for Singapore is to be found here: https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/
The Australian forum is to be found here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/
Here is the link for the site rules: http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/

Sounds like a wonderful adventure. Do hope you are successful in your endeavors.
Old May 13th 2018, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated! I will post in the individual country forums