Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Brain freeze over US move!!

Brain freeze over US move!!

Old Aug 20th 2011, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brain freeze over US move!!

Hi from a newbie

I found this site last week and have already learnt loads.

My hubby works for a US owned company that have wanted him to come over for some time and it appears for us, that time is now.

I have a trip next week to come and look at areas to move to in NJ.

I am finding it a bit daunting as we have spoken to the company relocation team and they said we should be there by 1st Nov I was thinking more like the new year.....

I'm sure I will have loads of questions, but am aware there is lots of info here already, and hope I don't duplicate as my brain is really struggling as I worry about the millions of things that will need sorting out to get us there in that timescale.

Anyway hello and thanks!!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brain freeze over US move!!

Originally Posted by mum 2 3
Hi from a newbie

I found this site last week and have already learnt loads.

My hubby works for a US owned company that have wanted him to come over for some time and it appears for us, that time is now.

I have a trip next week to come and look at areas to move to in NJ.

I am finding it a bit daunting as we have spoken to the company relocation team and they said we should be there by 1st Nov I was thinking more like the new year.....

I'm sure I will have loads of questions, but am aware there is lots of info here already, and hope I don't duplicate as my brain is really struggling as I worry about the millions of things that will need sorting out to get us there in that timescale.

Anyway hello and thanks!!
Welcome to BE...from a hot and sunny New Jersey.

What area of NJ will your husband be working? Many of our members who post in the US Forums live in NJ...including myself. First of all I recommend you use the link I've given you and search for old threads on NJ in the US Forums. If you click on 'Search This Forum'...located at the right hand side of the page in the blue bar. Go to 'Advanced Search'...'Search Titles Only' for New Jersey...this should pull up all the past threads. Also search for posts by Englishmum. By doing this you will find lots of info about schools, transportation, areas to live etc.

All questions regarding visas and the immigration process should be posted in the US Immigration and Visas forum. You will get lot of good advice from the regulars who post in there. General questions about life in the US should be posted in the US Forum...the Trailer Park is for general chit chat.

Please take time to take a look in the BE Wiki...it's a great source for information. Also please read through any stickied threads that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Meauxna, Noorah101, Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Glad you're spending time to have a browse around, as you say, a lot of info already here

Just take your time, list stuff down that you want to know about, search it out and go from there
Old Aug 21st 2011, 7:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:52 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mum 2 3,

I can totally relate on the brain freeze stuff, but mine is opposite as I'm getting brain freeze on stuff I've got to do for son's move to the UK so he can attend university.

Anyway welcome to BE, I'm so please you have joined our motley crew. Everyone is great here at sharing info so I'm sure you will pick up lots of tips.

Sue
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:05 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i can understand too. we first got wind of our move in late July and pout the paperwork together during August. We were planning our last crimbo in the uk when the dates came through as mid October!

my kids were only 11 months and 3.5 then too. (and i since have had another kid).

but am happy here and have a green card now. Hope you enjoy it. Ask away in the USA forum - will get lots of advice there!