Reload this Page >

Back to UK - first post!

Back to UK - first post!

Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

ByeDubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
When in 2009 did you go to Dubai? If it was after April 2009, take care with your date of returning to the UK, you need to for tax reasons.

Hi, it was in July 2009... can you pleased elaborate re. taxes?

Many thanks.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ByeDubai
Hi, it was in July 2009... can you pleased elaborate re. taxes?

Many thanks.
Yes. As there is no double taxation agreement with Dubai it is very important that you establish non-residency in the UK whilst you are away, otherwise you will be liable to UK tax on your Dubai earnings.

One of the requirements in establishing non-residency is that you complete at least one tax year out of the country. As you did not leave until July 2009, it means you were not out of the country for the full tax year 2009/10 (April to April) therefore you MUST stay out of the UK for the full tax year 2010/11 if you don't want to pay a large UK tax bill.

So not sure when you were thinking of coming back, but make sure it is after April 5th.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Yes. As there is no double taxation agreement with Dubai it is very important that you establish non-residency in the UK whilst you are away, otherwise you will be liable to UK tax on your Dubai earnings.

One of the requirements in establishing non-residency is that you complete at least one tax year out of the country. As you did not leave until July 2009, it means you were not out of the country for the full tax year 2009/10 (April to April) therefore you MUST stay out of the UK for the full tax year 2010/11 if you don't want to pay a large UK tax bill.

So not sure when you were thinking of coming back, but make sure it is after April 5th.

Hi, many thanks for your swift reply - really appreciated.

If it makes any difference, I did complete a P85 before I left the UK 2009... ??
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, many thanks for your swift reply - really appreciated.

If it makes any difference, I did complete a P85 before I left the UK 2009... ??
No it doesn't make any difference, the law still applies...

You must ensure you complete the tax year out of the country. When were you thnking of going back?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

No it doesn't make any difference, the law still applies...

You must ensure you complete the tax year out of the country. When were you thnking of going back?

Well... ideally May or June this year 2011... what's the alternative, suggested month and year not to pay a large tax bill?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

And how much tax are we talking about.. for example???
Old Jan 8th 2011, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And how much tax are we talking about.. for example???
Well it depends what you earned, but you will be liable for UK tax on everything you have earned during your time in Dubai.

Edit: Sorry I missed your post above #20. There is no issue if you are moving back in May or June. As I mentioned, there is an issue if you come back before April.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Well it depends what you earned, but you will be liable for UK tax on everything you have earned during your time in Dubai.

Edit: Sorry I missed your post above #20. There is no issue if you are moving back in May or June. As I mentioned, there is an issue if you come back before April.
Thanks! Phew, you had me worried I'd have to stay in this sandpit for another year!!!!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Laura_Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

I just thought I'd chip in as I'll be moving back from the Middle East - Oman - and I can't wait to get out to be honest!! Oman is beautiful but sometimes life in the Middle East just drives me nuts.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Laura_Jayne
I just thought I'd chip in as I'll be moving back from the Middle East - Oman - and I can't wait to get out to be honest!! Oman is beautiful but sometimes life in the Middle East just drives me nuts.
LOL.. same here, systems here have me frustrated no end, although I have a great respect for the country (and I'm a English revert to Islam, so it makes it a little easier), but aint no place like home!

Good luck with your move!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Laura_Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - you too!