Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

(Fairly) New to Virginia Beach

(Fairly) New to Virginia Beach

Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice
Default (Fairly) New to Virginia Beach

Hi all

I've been living in VA beach for about 3 months now but finding it hard to integrate as I've been on a fiancee visa (and now newly married) and so I'm not working and thus not meeting people and as I have no car while my husband is at work its hard to get out.

So far I've not met any other british people but I know there must be many as I've seen posts from other brits moving to the area. Its difficult to voice experiences with some american's I've met as they seem to think I'm saying I hate the place (which I don't, just feeling a little overwhelmed and isolated when hubby is working).

Does anyone know of any british meet up groups or could share their experiences with fitting in, cooking (and where to get my british must haves like pg tips) and general way of life stuff that they experienced when they first moved here - I'm feeling a little lost lol!

Thanks in advance for any replies xx
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Fairly) New to Virginia Beach

Welcome to BE. You may want to take a look at the US forum as well as the section on meet up. There may be someone in your neck of the woods.
Good luck.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=112
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:55 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Reading your post makes me realise that having a common language in a new country doesn't always make life easier!! It's only 3 months and it will get easier. I have a lot of friends from the US here in Italy - probably more than I do British tbh and sometimes things get lost in translation or it's the way we Brits say things. I think what sounds apologetic to us sometimes just sounds like whining to them!! Don't lose heart, on the whole I have found the Americans I know here a helpful and friendly bunch, they can't be that different in their homeland I'm sure!! One thing I do know goes down well is getting involved with something, be it a club, bake circle, jogging group, whatever. Find a club for something you like doing and you will meet like minded people. Maybe wait a while to give them the full info on how you are really doing until you know them better, put a brave face on in other words, you never know, by the time you know them well enough to spill the beans on how you really feel you may feel totally at home anyway!! Good luck! Enjoy the challenge!!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice

Thank you so much for the replies - I have been doing research since! I've been doing a belly dance class so that's helped a little and I'm hoping to go along to a book club at the library next month to see how that is. The american's i've met have been very friendly (except the DMV lol) its just that the social habits and humour (and even the food) are very different and day to day life is strange for me but I have been trying and I have no doubt it will get better with time, just have off days from time to time Thanks for taking the time to reply though - its reassuring to know i'm not the only one who's felt like this before and believe me its no where near time to throw in the towel yet!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:08 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome from me It is so overwhelming to make such a big move. you find some people in the same area as you that you can just chat too and share your experiences with.

Oooo I so want to do belly dancing classes (on my to do list)

Good luck with settling in

Dewb
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:00 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

My belly dances without classes...unfortunately...!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 8:03 am
Just Joined

ejohnson5891 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nicci, I am moving to VA Beach in a couple of months but have been in London for the past three years and had the same experience moving over here that you are having there. Now moving to VA will surely be the same thing all over again! Glad to hear you have found a couple groups to join, that's definitely the best way to go about it. And let me know if you find any place to stock up on the British staples, I've already got a list a mile long of the things I'll miss here!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 8:21 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ejohnson5891
Hi Nicci, I am moving to VA Beach in a couple of months but have been in London for the past three years and had the same experience moving over here that you are having there. Now moving to VA will surely be the same thing all over again! Glad to hear you have found a couple groups to join, that's definitely the best way to go about it. And let me know if you find any place to stock up on the British staples, I've already got a list a mile long of the things I'll miss here!
Welcome to the Forum, We have a excellent USA Section which you may want to check out. Should you get any problems contact one of the Management Team There are concierges and Moderators assigned for most sections.

Once again Welcome.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 9:32 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
My belly dances without classes...unfortunately...!
So does mine
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicciT
Hi all

I've been living in VA beach for about 3 months now but finding it hard to integrate as I've been on a fiancee visa (and now newly married) and so I'm not working and thus not meeting people and as I have no car while my husband is at work its hard to get out.

So far I've not met any other british people but I know there must be many as I've seen posts from other brits moving to the area. Its difficult to voice experiences with some american's I've met as they seem to think I'm saying I hate the place (which I don't, just feeling a little overwhelmed and isolated when hubby is working).

Does anyone know of any british meet up groups or could share their experiences with fitting in, cooking (and where to get my british must haves like pg tips) and general way of life stuff that they experienced when they first moved here - I'm feeling a little lost lol!

Thanks in advance for any replies xx
Hey NicciT. I am from Northern Ireland but have lived off and on in the Hampton Roads area for the past 5 years or so. I'm currently back in the UK but hoping to move back to the USA soon.

You will find that there are not that many expats in the VA beach area or hampton rds in general but there are some. There is a website www.meetup.com that when I was there last year had a british expats meetup group...check that out. Also, in terms of British food the Harris Teeter in downtown VA beach had a small international food aisle that had some basics like HP sauce...but the absolute best place to go is just up the I-64 in Downtown Hampton. There is a small british store run by an English couple called 'the best of British' http://local.yahoo.com/info-26296282...ritish-hampton. Basically if you get on the I-64 towards Hampton you go through the HRBT and take the exit on the other side towards downtown hampton. Park in the little car park opposite the Air and Space Musuem and you should see the store. They have absolutley everything. I used to stock up on walkers crisps, chocolate, easter eggs, bisto, brown sauce etc etc.

I always found the Hampton Roads area a little hard to fit into as it really does not have much of an immigrant population but the locals are really nice its just a matter of getting out there. Also....when it got too much for me I used to get on www.priceline.com ...find a cheap hotel in Washington DC and hang out there for the weekend just to hear some foreign accents...lol. VA Beach is also really hard to navigate without a car. I really missed the pedestrianism of the UK when I first moved there. However, the boardwalk is really nice to hang out and Downtown Norfolk/ghent also and you can get a good walk in. The sooner that train connecting the 2 areas is built the better it will be! I worked for Colonial Williamsburg for a while and its also a really good area to get out for a day and hear some different accents.

Anyway...if you have any specifc questions just let me know!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for the info, I found that meetup website just the other day but it doesn't seem to have a british group anymore but I did find a few other groups to join and so far so good and you're right the locals I've met within the groups have been lovely. Also I do now have a car which has got me out and about and I'm finding it easier than before, but I agree that that I also miss walking places.

I might suggest to the hubby a trip to DC sometime as I'm also into bellydancing and I've heard there is a great restaurant there that has a bellydancer - fingers crossed!

I will definitely go take a look at that store - there are just some things I can't live without lol!!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:08 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi NicciT and e johnson

Just a little word from me to say welcome to BE.

I see you have been pointed to the USA forum already. I hope you both find this brings you some new experiences and some new friends. I am sure there will be plenty of folks in your area who will be glad to offer friendship.

NicciT - it's pretty daunting moving to a new place, but I am glad to see you have started to find some stuff to get you out and about. You're a gutsy gal, I can tell. Just jump in, get posting and have fun.

ejohnson - good luck with your move, and it's great to see you have already made contact with NicciT who is in your area.

Best wishes to you both

Dread - x
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Dread - I am actually starting to have fun now and have found some great girls - mainly american but a few brits thrown in and i'm finally 'settling in' lol!

ejohnson - there are two brit stores that i have been told are good but i've only visited the smaller of the two on witchduct road - the british store and its good, a scottish lady runs it and they have pg tips and british choc and lots of other things so defo check them out - also a place i've yet to check out is in hampton called best of british but many have referred me to it with good reviews so once i know more i will update. I would also recommend you join meetup.com to find meetups in va - its been a lifesaver for me, the change in my mood has been dramatic - i'm just back from a girls nite in!!!! PM me once you're in the area and i'll try to help you out!

Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:50 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicciT
Thanks Dread - I am actually starting to have fun now and have found some great girls - mainly american but a few brits thrown in and i'm finally 'settling in' lol!

ejohnson - there are two brit stores that i have been told are good but i've only visited the smaller of the two on witchduct road - the british store and its good, a scottish lady runs it and they have pg tips and british choc and lots of other things so defo check them out - also a place i've yet to check out is in hampton called best of british but many have referred me to it with good reviews so once i know more i will update. I would also recommend you join meetup.com to find meetups in va - its been a lifesaver for me, the change in my mood has been dramatic - i'm just back from a girls nite in!!!! PM me once you're in the area and i'll try to help you out!

Fantastic news Nicci. Get out there girl and have some fun !!

Dread - x
Old Dec 14th 2010, 2:38 am
virginia, USA

HannahB5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nicci,

I'm glad you're settling in well now - I've just moved to Stafford VA and also finding the move a little overwhelming! no regrets - just missing the familiarities of England

Any advice would be welcome!

Re food - I've found PG tips and (proper) Cadburys at World Market stores which seem to be everywhere over here:

www.worldmarket.com

You can also order some groceries on Amazon - i've even found Christmas puddings on there! x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.