Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is your Xmas tree real or fake?

View Poll Results: Is your Xmas tree real or fake?
Real
31.25%
Fake
48.44%
Bah humbug!!! ...I have no Xmas tree
20.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Is your Xmas tree real or fake?

Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:37 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is your Xmas tree real or fake?

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Spent a few holidays down there - loved those little rivers with the stepping stones as a kid
Awww me too. The little car museum was cool too, you know, the one where Brum lived.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Gloriously fake..on its 8th year
Attached Thumbnails Is your Xmas tree real or fake?-jtreesit2.jpg  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Gloriously fake..on its 8th year
Is the tree inflatable? Looks too good to be eight years old. I guess the Missus really knows how to put things into storage.

Maybe you nicked it from the local shopping mall.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:21 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Real - I'm just a pagan at heart. Bring the evergreens indoors over winter and spring and fertility will return, so they say.

Actually, I'm just addicted to the smell and to some good associated memories.
This will be my/our first 'fake' year after a lifetime of real trees, most cut down fresh after an exausting (and freezing) trek thru the xmas tree farm. Found a $150 7foot Martha Stewart tree last year in the after xmas sale. We may miss the smell (bought some evergreen oil this weekend) but certainly not the mess...especially with a 2 yr old terrorist around the house.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:05 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby likes his fake tree with his "themed" decorations, but I like the real thing with my higgledy-piggledy collection from over the years. So we take it in turns each year. I string popcorn and cranberrys for my tree whilst I watch "It a wonderful Life". I refuse to go to that effort for a fake tree

This year it's MY turn. Yippee!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:27 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
Hubby likes his fake tree with his "themed" decorations, but I like the real thing with my higgledy-piggledy collection from over the years. So we take it in turns each year. I string popcorn and cranberrys for my tree whilst I watch "It a wonderful Life". I refuse to go to that effort for a fake tree

Don't the kids have any say about the type of tree for Christmas or do they have their own?

NC Penguin
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:05 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Don't the kids have any say about the type of tree for Christmas or do they have their own?

NC Penguin
They don't really care that much, though I think they like the real tree better! But we still let daddy have his way every other year - just to keep him happy!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:42 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid

perfect!!! your tree sounds just like mine!! no real cranberries for me though....i have this sugared garland of what i thought was big cranberries..that turn out to be very small red apples...but it looks great though

my kids also have a fake ..mini tree...with all the tiny ornaments...it's so cute
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:50 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

We have a very modest fake tree that we bought in Minnesota and which looks quite realistic. The kids just decorated it tonight, but haven't quite got the concept of spacing out the ornaments, so it's a bit lopsided

However, we do have a real holly tree in our back garden that's about two storeys high. Last year, just as we were about to cut down a few branches to use to decorate inside our house, the bl___ birds came along and within hours, all the berries were gone. Hopefully, we can beat them to it this year !!!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:15 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

We've collected a fake tree from each country we've lived in. We have a small 3 foot tree we used in our tiny Hong kong apartment, we have a 6 foot tree we've had since 1992 from England (which is still going strong) and a 9 foot tree bought from Sam's Club 3 years ago.
The English one is the best as it has all the old decorations, like the fairy on top which is about 40 years old and was on my parents tree when I grew up. It has all the craft things that the children have made over the years too.