Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

YMCA international training and internship program in New Jersey help....

YMCA international training and internship program in New Jersey help....

Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

keeper2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default YMCA international training and internship program in New Jersey help....

So I've been offered an interview for a job in New Jersey as a Youth sports Coach, its more of a training program....but I have to fill out a Participant Budget Worksheet "to makesure I understand the financial situation whilst in the US".

As I don't live in the US I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me fill it out, please?

YMCA Program Fee?
YMCA Insurance Fee?
Transportation from Newark Airport to Montclair?
Brokers Fee?
Cost of Apartment?
Cost of Public Transport?
Food?
Utilities (heat, water, electricity)?
Personal Care (hygiene, telephone, postage, internet access etc)

If anyone could help me with any of this I would be most grateful

Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: YMCA international training and internship program in New Jersey help....

Originally Posted by keeper2000
So I've been offered an interview for a job in New Jersey as a Youth sports Coach, its more of a training program....but I have to fill out a Participant Budget Worksheet "to makesure I understand the financial situation whilst in the US".

As I don't live in the US I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me fill it out, please?

YMCA Program Fee?
YMCA Insurance Fee?
Brokers Fee?
Cost of Apartment?
Food?

Thanks
There are loads of young English guys here in NJ who are football (soccer) coaches; indeed many of them train girls as there are more college sports soccer scholarships for girls than for guys - and it's all taken rather seriously by the girls and often even more so by their parents ..!

Montclair is a very nice & expensive middle class university town, although the trains don't go to NYC at the weekends. The taxi fare from Newark airport should be around $50 to $55 plus tip (15% is the norm).

Transport fees: http://www.panynj.com (EWR is Newark airport)

http://www.njtransit.com (buses and trains)

I can't really help you with the rest, I do know that it's common for the guys coming out from Britain to share a house, although some of them only come for the Summer season.

Check with these guys as they might be able to give you some advice, I think they're a Brit-owned soccer training company - a few years ago my son did a 'soccer camp' with them in our town (Millburn/Short Hills) and one of the trainers was over from the UK.

http://www.ukelite.com/

Actually - they have an employment page too!

http://www.ukelite.com/Employment/faqs.asp

PS: What visa will you be on? Will the 'Y' arrange it for you?

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 1st 2009 at 9:18 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 1:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: YMCA international training and internship program in New Jersey help....

Originally Posted by Englishmum

PS: What visa will you be on? Will the 'Y' arrange it for you?
Indeed, that would be the biggest question...
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: YMCA international training and internship program in New Jersey help....

Originally Posted by Bob
Indeed, that would be the biggest question...
H3 Visa???
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

keeper2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the comments.
Actually, I need a J-1 visa
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:32 am
Just Joined

blondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really nice

YMCA Program Fee?
YMCA Insurance Fee?
Brokers Fee?
Cost of Apartment?
Food?
Personal Care (hygiene, telephone, postage, internet access etc)

If anyone could help me with any of this I would be most grateful

Thanks
keeper2000....my name is Ann, I am a nurse from NJ...I lived in Bloomfield, immediately adjacent to Montclair, until this past Oct, having relocated to another county...with all due respect to Englishmum, if I could clarify a few things...Montclair does have a public university in it, but it is in no way a "University town"....it does not revolve around any University activities, in fact, the University is rather encapsulated and unto itself, as most of its student population are commuters....Montclair is a pricey, upscale, bedroom community of New York City...very sophisticated and eclectic...the trains DO in fact run to NYC on the weekends, but on a more limited schedule than weekdays...Montclair is a stop on the Midtown Direct line into Manhattan, and the ride is only around 25 minutes, which is why so many who work in NYC live in Montclair.....real estate prices are HIGH, to buy a house, the opening of the Midtown direct line some years ago driving them up further....you can rent somewhat cheaper tho...you could get a studio (one room) apt for 900-1100 dollars per month, and a one bedroom flat (apartment) would start around 11-1200 dollars...in NJ about 90 percent of the apartments include heat and hot water, you would only pay for electricity for lights and such, for which you can figure about 40 dollars per month...the current fare from Newark Airport to Montclair is 37 dollars, plus whatever tip you wish, 15 percent is customary, but you can decide based on service...you just catch a cab at the taxi queue at the airport and give them the address....Montclair is only 7 miles from the aiport....you dont necessarily need to pay a brokers fee for an apt, just get the Star Ledger (newspaper) and the Montclair times at a local store and look, or check Craigslist as well.....internet access, phone, and cable tv service can be bundled into one package from the same provider for just under 100 dollars...go on the YMCA website for your questions about that...if I can be of further service, give a shout....ann
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the comments.
Actually, I need a J-1 visa
Or an H visa.