Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A Year in the Merde

A Year in the Merde

Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default A Year in the Merde

Anyone read the book?

I found it HILARIOUS to the nth degree, bollocks to the amazon reviewers who didn't like it, ponces obviously didn't have a sense of humor ... lol

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: A Year in the Merde

Originally Posted by izibear
Anyone read the book?

I found it HILARIOUS to the nth degree, bollocks to the amazon reviewers who didn't like it, ponces obviously didn't have a sense of humor ... lol

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Some reviews from amazon.co.uk's site: (obviously the Brits get it )

Not since I read “Around Ireland With A Fridge” have a laughed out loud at a book revolving around an Englishman abroad. Now granted, I can't confess to reading that many books around an Englishman travelling abroad (excluding Tony Hawks’ less funny follow-ups) but even so this book is a real achievement.

Part fiction, part real life experience, all hilarity. Stephen Clarke writes about his 10 years of living and working in fair Paris in the form of his alter ego Paul West – newly appointed marketing director of a quaint business proposing to develop a Tea Shop franchise to rival Starbucks. 10 years of a life lived to the full is a lot to cram into one year (not a proper year you understand, a French year…) which does give the book the feel of a life many would envy. Jumping from bed to bed, one hilarious episode to another could be deemed a little over the top for a 27 year old Englishman to get through but Stephen Clarke writes it in such a way that all is believable. Well if not believable, at least readable…

The book is excellently well written, it gives a real feel for what Paul is going through on his travels and although it generally glosses over some of the less funny times it focuses so well on the vagaries between our two nations that you find yourself not really minding. This books humour is driven through its social satire but thankfully it isn't xenophobic or to stereotypical. Read it and enjoy! --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
Well, it's very funny. And I didn't want to find it funny. Reason: I've lived in France, and expected this to be the usual lame collection of stereotypes and dull anecdotes masquerading as original lampoon/satire. There are a few clichés, but Clarke is a talented writer and he disguises them well. Plus there's enough authentic observation of national characteristics to keep the thing moving along nicely, and to provoke some nice belly laughs. Moreover, there's a jolly storyline that keeps you gagging for more.

Clarke's no Bryson, but that's OK. This is a good read and a lot of fun. If you know a bit about France - and especially if you've worked there - you'll guffaw lavishly.

PS If you've ever wondered why France has one of Europe's highest rates of unemployment and a sloth-like economy, this book explains everything. And on this score, it's totally accurate.
The rest are on amazon.co.uk.

I had to keep from bringing down my local B and N when I picked it up last week....