Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yank in UK thinking of moving back to US w/family

Yank in UK thinking of moving back to US w/family

Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yank in UK thinking of moving back to US w/family

Originally Posted by McZaki
...Even if you don’t want to relocate there, consider ‘moving’ your business to the UAE, it’s a tax haven.
Being a USC, there'd be very little advantage of doing that though as he'd still have to declare and pay taxes, just without the benefit of tax treaties and being able to claim them.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the 15% SE tax you will pay in addition to any federal tax.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:55 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McZaki
Even if you don’t want to relocate there, consider ‘moving’ your business to the UAE, it’s a tax haven.
For US Citizens, it doesn't really matter. In fact, owning or having a substantial stake of a foreign entity is somewhat complex and leads to additional tax return forms, many of which are rather complicated. He'd have to report the ownership, along with the company financials to the US IRS, along with reporting any financial accounts under his and the company's control, not to mention the personal bank accounts that he might have overseas. And should he actually wish to use any of the money from profits in the company, he'll have to report that as 'income' on his taxes anyway. The very fact he has a foreign entity may be considered a 'red flag' for an audit as well.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Being a USC, there'd be very little advantage of doing that though as he'd still have to declare and pay taxes, just without the benefit of tax treaties and being able to claim them.
Originally Posted by penguinsix
For US Citizens, it doesn't really matter. In fact, owning or having a substantial stake of a foreign entity is somewhat complex and leads to additional tax return forms, many of which are rather complicated. He'd have to report the ownership, along with the company financials to the US IRS, along with reporting any financial accounts under his and the company's control, not to mention the personal bank accounts that he might have overseas. And should he actually wish to use any of the money from profits in the company, he'll have to report that as 'income' on his taxes anyway. The very fact he has a foreign entity may be considered a 'red flag' for an audit as well.
Blimey! That’s torture.

This US obsession with taxes is stupendous considering they don’t even offer you a decent public health care system – I’m not a politics person and don't engage in such discussions but seriously why spend stupid amount of money on foreign expeditions and provide aids/charity to corrupt regimes whilst people at home can’t even get flu jab – anyway that’s off topic, apologies.

Erics_dad, Stay where you are lad – the weather is what it is, throughout Britain. Better move out of the NW to somewhere proper. Considering your worries in Blighty, I feel that moving back to the States could be a good one for you and family however it will cost you an arm and a leg particularly in your situation, as a self-employed.

Last edited by McZaki; Mar 1st 2013 at 6:30 am.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

I think - if cost of living is your concern - then you probably picked the wrong state to move to. If your job moves with you and you don't need to be near a regional hub for business purposes then no point making things harder for yourself. In any event cost of living is dependent on so many things - for example you could have access to a very good health plan at a cheap rate like I do (through my wife's job) but then (theoretically speaking) she could lose her job - then I get in an accident and get screwed on medical costs - suddenly the NHS looks like very good value.

Major consideration with you haven't talked about so far is family. For example, if your wife wants to visit her family from California it's a long and expensive trip which could be difficult if she get homesick and needs to make a lot of trips. She will likely not have much of a vacation allowance in which to make it.

I agree that UK weather sucks and most people seem to be thoroughly miserable at the moment (at least they were when I went over this December). With emigration though you are in for the long haul. In 10 years time the weather will still be bad but the economy will likely be in an up-cycle and inflation/wage stagnation won't be as much of an issue. You might have a good year in your online business and will suddenly be earning 90k+ in an area of the UK where the COL is relatively cheap.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:12 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry, but that's a ridiculous statement! We make less than that and live in one of the most expensive parts of the UK (Berkshire). Our life is anything but 'rough'.
I'm from Berkshire! (Maidenhead to be precise).
I agree that you can definitely live on less and it not be 'rough'. I certainly wouldn't have described my life as 'rough' either. You have to budget yes, but rough, no. To be honest even at 100k you have to budget.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Surely £100,000 is a good salary in the UK? I admit house prices were a bit of a shock last time I looked but still...
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Surely £100,000 is a good salary in the UK? I admit house prices were a bit of a shock last time I looked but still...
Aye, it's all about relative budget, but my mother, living in a decent part of Oxford, another expensive city is living off a pension and part time work, so nowhere near that kind of money and is able to afford to go on holidays with friends in the EU in Easter/Summer hols and the odd trip to Japan as well as plenty of weekend coach trips to Wales, London and other places to see the sites she's never been to before, or to take friends who are visiting her from Japan.

She has a more active social life than I do.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, it's all about relative budget, but my mother, living in a decent part of Oxford, another expensive city is living off a pension and part time work, so nowhere near that kind of money and is able to afford to go on holidays with friends in the EU in Easter/Summer hols and the odd trip to Japan as well as plenty of weekend coach trips to Wales, London and other places to see the sites she's never been to before, or to take friends who are visiting her from Japan.

Same with my Mum.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:05 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

My Mum is still in Berkshire (also not particuarly cheap), living off about 30k GBP I'd guess but then again she has no mortgage, no car payments and is just paying the basic bills, food etc so does have money to spare for trips etc too. It depends on the circumstances. That kind of money with a family, mortgage and a car payment doesn't go very far so like you say it's all relative.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

the other thing to think about is schooling for your kid. How important is this as one of the factors for relocating?
House prices (in CA at least) are typically directly correlated with how good the schools are. The better the local school, the higher the house prices and rent. With your limited budget, private schooling isn't an option.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 6:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bink
My Mum is still in Berkshire (also not particuarly cheap), living off about 30k GBP I'd guess but then again she has no mortgage, no car payments and is just paying the basic bills, food etc so does have money to spare for trips etc too. It depends on the circumstances. That kind of money with a family, mortgage and a car payment doesn't go very far so like you say it's all relative.
My mother still has a mortgage and car payment. No kids and a OAP bus pass probably helps loads, but yeah, it's all about expectations and what you do with it.

She doesn't drive around in a big massive car or drinks like a fountain etc. Though she drinks out more than I do too. It's a little depressing actually
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by erics_dad
1) Hypothetically, say we move to the US, my wife would need to wait 8-10 months to be able to apply for work? So, for 8-10 months she can't work at all, yes?
If you sponsor her for an Immigrant Visa, she can work immediately upon arrival in the United States.

2) My son, despite being born in England, would automtically qualify for dual citizenship assuming I apply?
If you spent a total of 5 years in the U.S., including 2 years after age 14, then he's already a U.S. citizen. You should have documented this already, however if you haven't done so you need to get for him:

- a Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
- a U.S. passport; and
- a Social Security Number (you need this to claim him as dependent on your U.S. tax return, have you not already been doing this?)

I would naturally want him to keep his English citizenship but he automatically qualifies for US citizenship because I am American?
Not necessarily. If you've not spent enough time in the U.S. then he's not an American, you'll have to sponsor him for an Immigrant Visa and he can become a U.S. citizen that way.

And he can't keep English citizenship because there is no such thing. He may however keep British citizenship.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

F1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura aboutF1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura aboutF1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura about

The most shocking thing on this thread is eric_dad's high mortgage! In the North West? Over $1000 for a mortgage? My parents live in detached house in Cheshire and pay under 250 quid!
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 5:02 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by F1toOPTtoH1BHopefully
The most shocking thing on this thread is eric_dad's high mortgage! In the North West? Over $1000 for a mortgage? My parents live in detached house in Cheshire and pay under 250 quid!
But when did they but it? That sounds right for a 40-50k (GBP) mortgage. $1,000 sounds right for more like 150k (GBP) mortgage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.