Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wow - Iowa primary

Wow - Iowa primary

Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow - Iowa primary

Originally Posted by fatbrit
No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President;
Yeah but I'm talking about in my dreams!!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Oh Please get a grip talk about me lol Arnie he is revolting like a big rubber action man urgh nasty
Alright, maybe not any more but in his Terminator days! << sigh >>
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if I agree with this I know its fact, but to my mind if anyone can be governor then they should be aload to run for president do you agree!!
No -- I think it's a reasonable clause. You should have the full experience of being an American to become president.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

No -- I think it's a reasonable clause. You should have the full experience of being an American to become president.
I'm sure there has got to be some glib comment in there but I just can't find it!!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:54 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to complicate this, but what if you were born to American parents brought up in another country and moved to the US as an adult then you can run for President right!

But if you were born to lets say for arguments sake (no not arguing lol)to a british couple and moved here as a child and grew up in the US and knew nothing different then the US, you can't run for President!

Have I got my facts right? I am curious seriously if you don't ask you don't find out

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jan 4th 2008 at 11:03 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to complicate this, but what if you were born to American parents brought up in another country and moved to the US as an adult then you can run for President right!

But if you were born to lets say for arguments sake (no not arguing lol)to a british couple and moved here as a child and grew up in the US and knew nothing different then you can't run for President!

Have I got my facts right? I am curious seriously if you don't ask you don't find out
McCain was born abroad (Panama IIRC) but he was a natural born citizen, i.e. a citizen who was American from birth. The "opposite" of a natural born citizen is a "naturalized" citizen.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

But if you were born to lets say for arguments sake (no not arguing lol)to a british couple and moved here as a child and grew up in the US and knew nothing different then the US, you can't run for President!

No you would not be allowed to run for the presidency because you are not a US Citizen. You were born of UK parents in the UK but moved to the US and lived here from your youth to age of eligibility for presidency. This does not make you eligible and even if you were naturalized you would not be eligible.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:23 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
No you would not be allowed to run for the presidency because you are not a US Citizen. You were born of UK parents in the UK but moved to the US and lived here from your youth to age of eligibility for presidency. This does not make you eligible and even if you were naturalized you would not be eligible.
I know it does not make you eligable but I was trying to ask in my ass about face way lol......... is it fair that you can live all your life in the US but not born here and not be eligible, against someone that never lived here but was born of US parents and moved back as an adult.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:24 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't stop George Washington
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:28 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Thydney
Didn't stop George Washington
How so? He was born here.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:29 pm
Septicity

is it fair that you can live all your life in the US but not born here and not be eligible, against someone that never lived here but was born of US parents and moved back as an adult.
Sometimes life just ain't fair. However, this is not really one to get worried about IMVHO.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:30 pm

Sometimes life just ain't fair. However, this is not really one to get worried about IMVHO.
No I know I was just curious
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
This caucus represents the collective will of about 400,000 (total for both sides) particularly politically-motivated Iowans, nothing more.

My predictions:
Huckabee's done once he's out of Iowa. On a personal level, I hope this is true.

Guiliani will make a resurgence.

McCain will win a bunch of primaries.

Clinton will stomp Edwards from here on out.

Obama's a bit of a wild card, but I still can't see him getting the nominations.

I predict McCain/Guiliani vs. Clinton/Edwards in the election. No idea who would win that one.
I would agree with you here. Iowans are not representative of the rest of the USA. What happens in Iowa stays in Iowa, as you might say. NH will be a different kettle of fish; can't see NH voting for the Huckster.

Also Obama is a curiosity because of his race. If he gets the nomination the Dems lose and the GOP go to the White House.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:50 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
Also Obama is a curiosity because of his race. If he gets the nomination the Dems lose and the GOP go to the White House.

That couldn't be further from the truth. The main reason people are drawn to him is his charisma. His race has nothing to do with it. What started this all was a speech he made at the Democratic Convention in 2004. The guy was electrifying. I can remember after watching that speech that I made a remark that that guy is going to be President one day. Will he be President now. I don't think so since he's still wet behind the ears to me considering he's only served one term as Senator. Other than that he definitely has a future and I suspect we will see him in the White House in the next 10 - 15 years.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
That couldn't be further from the truth. The main reason people are drawn to him is his charisma. His race has nothing to do with it. What started this all was a speech he made at the Democratic Convention in 2004. The guy was electrifying. I can remember after watching that speech that I made a remark that that guy is going to be President one day. Will he be President now. I don't think so since he's still wet behind the ears to me considering he's only served one term as Senator. Other than that he definitely has a future and I suspect we will see him in the White House in the next 10 - 15 years.

You might be right in your long-term forecast. For now though, he doesn't stand a chance. The NH primary will return a more accurate reflection of the general picture.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:59 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
You might be right in your long-term forecast. For now though, he doesn't stand a chance. The NH primary will return a more accurate reflection of the general picture.
If you really want a good picture of how the election will turn out you'll have to survey states like Ohio or Missouri. Those states have been right on the money with determining the next President. I'm afraid that NH is not a true representation of the nation's demographics either. It's just a case of them being one of the firsts. In doing so it helps create momentum behind a candidate. That's what's really decided here. Otherwise I'm waiting till the last months when states have been canvassed and informally polled to get a general sense of who's going to take this thing. Just remember there's more than enough time for candidates missteps, independent ads (remember MoveOn.org), and skeletons in the closet being revealed. Just wait...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.