Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wow groceries are expensive here!

Wow groceries are expensive here!

Old Dec 28th 2013, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow groceries are expensive here!

you will find Walmart sells most things including cheaper 'everyday' clothes/jeans/tees/sweats etc......white goods check out Home depot and Lowes,
Old Dec 28th 2013, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Danoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
You might like to do a bit of research into where it comes from and what goes into it. You might not mind but I did and would only eat meat when I knew its source. Buffalo is good though and that, I believe, always roams free.
I have found meat in the US to be good, but it does lack flavor, especially beef due to the majority of it being grain feed only. But the fact that everything is aged a min 28 days before it is sold is great. I have also found all the beef cuts to be juicy and tender. Lamb appears to be a bit of a forgotten meat here, I have not seen a lot of in shops. You see the occasional rack or fillet, but no legs or shoulders for roasting. But unlike the UK, you don't mind eating beef from the supermarket here!
Old Mar 26th 2014, 2:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
The only problem with this type bread is that it tastes like cow shit. I have to buy my bread from a local bakery that doesn't cater for the average American tastes (ie, buckets full of sodium!).
On the contrary, the two-fold problem I have with most American bread is that it has a significant amount of sugar in the recipe, which makes it taste sweet, and it lacks the salt that British bread has. There are now "low carb" breads of one sort or another fairly widely available, but the lack of salt is something I haven't been able to solve. I suspect that, after more than a decade of "making do" I might finally succumb to buying a bread making machine.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski if you enjoy baking/cooking you don't need a machine for bread I gave mine away last month in the start of my clear out for moving. get a decent size loaf tin and try out a few recipes a damp cloth and a bowl for proving the bread is all that's required
Old Mar 26th 2014, 2:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola s
Pulaski if you enjoy baking/cooking you don't need a machine for bread. I gave mine away last month in the start of my clear out for moving. Get a decent size loaf tin and try out a few recipes a damp cloth and a bowl for proving the bread is all that's required.
Time. And time. I agree with everything else you say, but time is lacking.

Mrs P and I both have full time jobs. We also have a business which takes up time on the weekend, and I have a list of tasks to do around the house and garden, so unfortunately home baked bread is not high on the list of priorities right now.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola s
Pulaski if you enjoy baking/cooking you don't need a machine for bread I gave mine away last month in the start of my clear out for moving. get a decent size loaf tin and try out a few recipes a damp cloth and a bowl for proving the bread is all that's required
I would do this, but we also suffer from lack of time. I also have a few medical issues where I get easily fatigued. So a bread machine where I just need to put in the ingredients and hit a button definitely appeals to me.

I'm thinking seriously of buying one when we get back to the US in about 2mo..unless I can nab one from a family member!
Old Mar 26th 2014, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Try the No Knead Method.

My wife throws a loaf together every week with minimal fuss, and the bread is wonderful.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 5:25 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
On the contrary, the two-fold problem I have with most American bread is that it has a significant amount of sugar in the recipe, which makes it taste sweet, and it lacks the salt that British bread has. There are now "low carb" breads of one sort or another fairly widely available, but the lack of salt is something I haven't been able to solve. I suspect that, after more than a decade of "making do" I might finally succumb to buying a bread making machine.
We just got one for these very reasons. I have to admit, I have not missed the store bought stuff one bit. The only trouble I seem to be having is making a loaf last longer than a few hours.

Last edited by jibsymalone; Mar 26th 2014 at 5:26 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 26th 2014, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute

I agree time is needed for these things, and when I worked full time I used the machine, right now I live across the road from a great bakery so buy from there and its been gathering dust, and in the decluttering for the move it was one of the things to go.

I am going to be without a job when I move over to KL so im looking forward to baking etc, im currently researching how to make lorne sausage to save smuggling it over.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 6:12 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Could be worse......Come to Canada if you want to see sticker shock on food stuffs, well pretty much everything here we pay a premium on compared to the US.
I was just going to say that, expensive compared to where?

Part of the reason is the greater transport distances involved compared to the UK. And that's also the reason there's usually less fresh food too. And also the reason so many things that are liquids in Europe are powders in N America.

I think there's also more competition in the UK due to the population density, more supermarkets closer together because there are more people so you can shop around more easily. In the US and Canada the next nearest supermarket can easily be 5+ miles away.

Although Vancouver never makes sense to me, it is very crowded but when I go into supermarkets there they're significantly more pricey than in Calgary plus you have the US option we don't have. Unless you fancy a drive to Great Falls. "Save On Foods" is the worst supermarket name ever, the one near me has the highest prices on most things. They seem to use a few things like milk as loss leaders to get people in the store. But the Cost Cutter in Blaine is pretty dire, you have to go somewhere decent like Fred Meyers in Bellingham.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

The breads not as good as we got in the UK, unless you go to the bakery, the only sliced bread I like is pepperidge farm, I buy the thin sliced this way I don't have to cut off the crusts.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:58 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I would do this, but we also suffer from lack of time. I also have a few medical issues where I get easily fatigued. So a bread machine where I just need to put in the ingredients and hit a button definitely appeals to me.

I'm thinking seriously of buying one when we get back to the US in about 2mo..unless I can nab one from a family member!
I use a bread machine, BUT, only use the dough setting, put all the ingredients in and let it knead the dough and do the first proving, once it has filled the pan with the dough, then I turn it out into a loaf tin, making sure the paddle doesn't come out, and then do a slight knock down to ensure the dough has got into all the corners, and give it a final prove, I then cook it for 30 mins at about 180C, and it's done, I even make wholemeal the same way, but just let it prove longer.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

we have a bread machine. The best thing is being able to put the ingredients in the night before and have it timed to come on in the early morning. So you can wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I use a bread machine, BUT, only use the dough setting, put all the ingredients in and let it knead the dough and do the first proving, once it has filled the pan with the dough, then I turn it out into a loaf tin, making sure the paddle doesn't come out, and then do a slight knock down to ensure the dough has got into all the corners, and give it a final prove, I then cook it for 30 mins at about 180C, and it's done, I even make wholemeal the same way, but just let it prove longer.
Is there any advantage to doing it that way? Does it not bake as well in the bread maker?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Pulaski, just my thoughts but I never managed to get quite as good results from the bread maker it was always quite a dense bread, I like soft loaves but maybe others have had better results, and if you have a dough hook for a mixer it saves the kneading, although id rather do that than work out any day of the week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.