Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wow groceries are expensive here!

Wow groceries are expensive here!

Old Dec 25th 2013, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Danoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wow groceries are expensive here!

One of the first things I have noticed is just how expensive groceries are here. Been to Publix, Sweetbay and Whole foods (I realise the latter will be more expensive), but surprised in general with the cost of things compared to UK. I was expecting prices to be a bit more expensive after reading some of the posts here, but wasnt prepared for just how much more expensive.... everything.... is!

The other things that was surprising, was how small their fresh food sections are compared to UK and Oz, but definitely impressed with butchers and fish sections.

Might need to adjust the budget we had forecasted for weekly shop.

The other thing that has really taken me by suprised is pay as you go mobile costs! Went to T-Mobile yesterday and almost died when he asked for $100 a month for a mobile sim and a data sim for ipad!

I am going to keep the s for a while in the spellng
Old Dec 25th 2013, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow groceries are expensive here!

Originally Posted by Danoz
One of the first things I have noticed is just how expensive groceries are here. Been to Publix, Sweetbay and Whole foods (I realise the latter will be more expensive), but surprised in general with the cost of things compared to UK. I was expecting prices to be a bit more expensive after reading some of the posts here, but wasnt prepared for just how much more expensive.... everything.... is!

Where's "Here"
Old Dec 25th 2013, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steveq
Where's "Here"
Tampa.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

trumee is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, mobile plans are certainly expensive. Cheapest I have found is straight talk.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tampa.
Got back from the UK a couple of weeks ago and we were surprised how reasonable everything was. Florida is quite a cheap place to live compared to many other states.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Got back from the UK a couple of weeks ago and we were surprised how reasonable everything was. Florida is quite a cheap place to live compared to many other states.
Yes, I agree. Things seem cheaper in the US than UK. Perhaps the OP is choosing to buy particular british food, which is more expensive. I am also surprised about the fresh food section being smaller than in UK, in my experience the produce is cheaper and nicer in the US. The tomatoes in the UK are rarely pleasant.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

We haven't tried to buy anything special. Definitely not special British items anyway. Usual requirements, milk, bread, fruit and veg, cleaning products etc... I do not feel based on the few shops we have done, that things are good value compared to what you could get back in UK in Sainsbury, Tesco etc... Whether we have accidentally chosen the wrong stores so far or what not, well time will tell, but was very surprised at our experiences so far.

Not trying to complain, more an observation, and one I wasn't expecting.

On the other hand, things like, fuel, housing, wine, beer etc... Then yes is much cheaper or at least comparable than UK from our experiences so far. Of course cannot complain about being in shorts and t-shirt on Christmas Day either!
Old Dec 25th 2013, 6:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Yes, I agree. Things seem cheaper in the US than UK. Perhaps the OP is choosing to buy particular british food, which is more expensive. I am also surprised about the fresh food section being smaller than in UK, in my experience the produce is cheaper and nicer in the US. The tomatoes in the UK are rarely pleasant.
I was agreeing with the OP...groceries are cheaper in the UK. I was pointing out that Florida is relatively cheap compared with some other US states.

I agree with you the produce section is bigger...as for the produce looking better isn't that because the US GMs fresh produce more than the UK?
Old Dec 25th 2013, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's GM, but there are a LOT more preservatives in US foodstuffs (like bread, for example). The biggest difference I've noticed is that an 'fake' food (margarine, cool whip, etc.) is cheaper, but the natural stuff (butter, real cream and so on) is generally much harder to find and afford!
Old Dec 25th 2013, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the apples with a mirror finish.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Some of the items that shocked us were cracker biscuits, citrus fruit like lemons, bread and milk.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 9:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the items that shocked us were cracker biscuits, citrus fruit like lemons, bread and milk.
Wine is cheaper in the UK than in NYS. Better, too, I rarely find decent French or other European wine at my price range (low.). Whereas in Sainsburys or Tesco, they have those reliable dirt cheap standard French AOC labels. Maybe Florida or other states have cheaper wine. Sorry but I don't find wine from Chile, California etc even remotely drinkable...

Bread, milk, cheese, other basic foods are always cheaper in Britain, I find.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 9:50 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

You'll learn not to buy cleaning products, toiletries etc at supermarkets. Best to buy at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. It takes time to learn the ropes of where is best to buy stuff.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, the bread may be more expensive, but it will stay "fresh" for 6+ months.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Grand Rapids MI I think Meijer have a much larger selection of produce compared to ASDA or Tesco in the UK. It can be much more expensive or cheaper depending on the season and the seasonal items you are buying.

For example in the summer I buy loads of corn on the cob, at 10 or 15 cents an ear you cant me beat, I would think twice about buying it now when they are charging $3-$4 for 5 shucked/prepacked cobs. Same again for apple in the fall... this year they where selling 5lbs for $2.50 as apposed to this week they are $4 for 3 lbs. In the summer I can get strawberries 1 lbs for $1 right now they are $3 per lbs. This week I bought whole pineapples for $1.50 most of the time they are $3. I could go on listing items but the point I am trying to make is produce can be way cheaper depending on how and when you buy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.