Reload this Page >

would you leave

would you leave

Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: would you leave

Originally Posted by snowbunny
it's the knowing that I live somewhere that so many people consider second-class (and I know why!) that is hard.

I'm verging on depression over this, seriously. I feel like I want to get on with my life and can't due to having to remain here.

that must be tough for you snowbunny, one of the reasons i count myself as one of the lucky ones. i presume you could move to holland? would that be any better for you and the family? it's closer to the uk for sure
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Personally, I don't know how I'm going to cope with 68F winter weather this year.......
i wish
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:02 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I wish I had somewhere to move back to.

I am really hating the fact that there's no national health care and no safety net here. I'd have to wait out my ten years, then try to emigrate on my own (HSMP or equivalent).

Even if I chose not to move, I'd still like to have the choice. After getting struck down by a kidney stone without any sick leave, I feel really fragile physically and emotionally. If something happened to me, my OH would return home, definitely, and it's the knowing that I live somewhere that so many people consider second-class (and I know why!) that is hard.

I'm verging on depression over this, seriously. I feel like I want to get on with my life and can't due to having to remain here.
Amy, I know exactly how you feel darlin'. Is there no way that you can get a Dutch passport? That might help some.

HUG HUG HUG

You're very much loved by us all. And we're here to be ears for you

TB, she can't because her ex won't allow the kids out of the city, never mind country.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

TB, she can't because her ex won't allow the kids out of the city, never mind country.

that's too bad
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had somewhere to move back to.

I am really hating the fact that there's no national health care and no safety net here. I'd have to wait out my ten years, then try to emigrate on my own (HSMP or equivalent).

Even if I chose not to move, I'd still like to have the choice. After getting struck down by a kidney stone without any sick leave, I feel really fragile physically and emotionally. If something happened to me, my OH would return home, definitely, and it's the knowing that I live somewhere that so many people consider second-class (and I know why!) that is hard.

Kidney stones - ouch!! DH had those, and I had gallstones many years ago - still remember the pain like it was yesterday.

As for the rest: you know you are stuck here, as am I. For a while I was terribly depressed too, but since I was able to get back to work I am feeling a lot better. I get the impression that a lot of your unhappiness is work-related - is there any chance of switching to a better job?

Anyway, wishing you all the best!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:07 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
that must be tough for you snowbunny, one of the reasons i count myself as one of the lucky ones. i presume you could move to holland? would that be any better for you and the family? it's closer to the uk for sure
If I'm still married in ten years time, yes, but not until then because their dad is here (I can't move two counties over). It's hard to have life goals and then stick them on hold, but I know a lot of parents do that when their kids are at home.

If "something" were to happen to Toon, I have no rights as a former spouse to live in Holland. I'd have to go through the usual procedure to emigrate, and I'll be ten years older, soooo....

I need to find something in the meantime to have as a joy, but work is sucking the life out of the both of us. And I do feel some of the guilt that your USC spouses must feel if they are "keeping" you here and away from where you'd rather be.

As to job? hmmm.... I'm the primary breadwinner so must tread carefully there. Any tech job is going to demand a lot of one's time.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:16 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

You sure there is no way around the Dutch bit? I know that if my dh can have citizenship if he's been married to me for more than 3 years, and has a home over there in his name which ties him to the 'community' so to speak.

No such rule?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:21 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Amy, I know exactly how you feel darlin'. Is there no way that you can get a Dutch passport? That might help some.
I would have to live outside the US (and be married to a Dutch citizen) for three years to qualify for Dutch citizenship. I could live in Mexico, it doesn't matter where, but outside my home country. Then I would have to take a test (but I could do that bit). I would *love* to do that, but can't yet. And of course meanwhile the dollar continues to devalue.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends....but if I could afford it, I'd probably bugger off as there wouldn't be much holding me here otherwise....but my thoughts might change next april, we'll see.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:26 pm
Lapine Member

Hmmm... actually on further research I don't find the "out of country" restriction I thought was in place, which makes me but I still need to register our marriage with The Hague (send apostille copies of birth/marriage certs). Then I also have to speak Dutch (passably, anyway, which is eeeeeek, why can't it just be read or write? lol)
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
depends....but if I could afford it, I'd probably bugger off as there wouldn't be much holding me here otherwise....but my thoughts might change next april, we'll see.
You're being very cryptic, Roberto!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:28 pm

I would have to live outside the US (and be married to a Dutch citizen) for three years to qualify for Dutch citizenship. I could live in Mexico, it doesn't matter where, but outside my home country. Then I would have to take a test (but I could do that bit). I would *love* to do that, but can't yet. And of course meanwhile the dollar continues to devalue.
That's a pretty weird law if you ask me.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by candy wy.
If your partner died how many of you would return home? would you be able to afford to move back or would it be difficult financially?
If parents are still alive, back to blighty. if not, off to Australia as my friends and few sibling are there.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... actually on further research I don't find the "out of country" restriction I thought was in place, which makes me but I still need to register our marriage with The Hague (send apostille copies of birth/marriage certs). Then I also have to speak Dutch (passably, anyway, which is eeeeeek, why can't it just be read or write? lol)
Take out a contract ..its easier....
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:40 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Ray
Take out a contract ..its easier....

I just couldn't do it Ray.... someone's got to put the kids through uni!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.