Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would this work?

Would this work?

Old May 6th 2004, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Jan in Arizona is on a distinguished road
Default Would this work?

I am here on an H4 and have just been convinced that it would be ok for me to sign up to sell Mary Kay cosmestics as this would be my own business. I am still worried though - I was able to just give them my IRS number but I had a Canadian salesman here today who told me a scary story of how his visa ran out on July 1st but he was marrying an American on July 25th. On about July 8th he had 6 policeman knock on his door pointing guns at him, who marched him off to some Immigration place for 3 days and it cost him thousands of $ to sort it out ! I don't really want to sell the Mary Kay stuff anyway but I'd do it if it was a legal way for me to earn a bit of cash. Does anyone think this might cause me a problem? Thanks.
Old May 6th 2004, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Would this work?

Originally posted by Jan in Arizona
I am here on an H4 and have just been convinced that it would be ok for me to sign up to sell Mary Kay cosmestics as this would be my own business. I am still worried though - I was able to just give them my IRS number but I had a Canadian salesman here today who told me a scary story of how his visa ran out on July 1st but he was marrying an American on July 25th. On about July 8th he had 6 policeman knock on his door pointing guns at him, who marched him off to some Immigration place for 3 days and it cost him thousands of $ to sort it out ! I don't really want to sell the Mary Kay stuff anyway but I'd do it if it was a legal way for me to earn a bit of cash. Does anyone think this might cause me a problem? Thanks.
I'm not really 100% sure, but I don't think you are allowed to work on an H4. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will jump in and say. By the way, I sent you a PM the other day. I am here in AZ also, Gilbert.
Old May 6th 2004, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by effi
I'm not really 100% sure, but I don't think you are allowed to work on an H4. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will jump in and say. By the way, I sent you a PM the other day. I am here in AZ also, Gilbert.
Yes, that is my worry - probably paid my $100 for nothing except to get into trouble! Sorry, at the risk of being stupid, how do I read your PM? I can't quite work all this out yet! How long have you been in AZ?
Old May 6th 2004, 11:06 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I know some people who have worked while on H4 visas but they generally put businesses like the one you mentioned in their husband's name. How it works for Husbands on H1 visas, I don't know. Also, I think you are allowed to do a little babysitting work on H4's but not be a childminder. that is as much as I know, though, sorry.
Old May 6th 2004, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Yes, that is my worry - probably paid my $100 for nothing except to get into trouble! Sorry, at the risk of being stupid, how do I read your PM? I can't quite work all this out yet! How long have you been in AZ?
Go up to the very top of this screen and click on My Forum, it will tell you that you have a new message, you can reply there if you wish. I have been in Gilbert for 6 years.
Old May 6th 2004, 11:21 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Ben
I know some people who have worked while on H4 visas but they generally put businesses like the one you mentioned in their husband's name. How it works for Husbands on H1 visas, I don't know. Also, I think you are allowed to do a little babysitting work on H4's but not be a childminder. that is as much as I know, though, sorry.
H4 not allowed to do any paid jobs. can do voluntary work though. voluntary work means that which can be done by americans without pay. in essence you are barred from doing any work that an american would be paid to do.

you are allowed to open a business. search other posts in visa/immigration.
Old May 6th 2004, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Gross50
H4 not allowed to do any paid jobs. can do voluntary work though. voluntary work means that which can be done by americans without pay. in essence you are barred from doing any work that an american would be paid to do.

you are allowed to open a business.

They class this MaryKay as your own business - they say even though you are working for yourself you will never be by yourself as they help you - so do you think this means I would be ok? Or do you mean open a "proper" business like a shop or something? I'm so worried of getting it wrong and getting chucked out of this country!
Old May 6th 2004, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

here's my experience.....

I am on H4 and things got tight for us... I have a gift of being able to decorate glassware with semiprecious stones and wire wrap them. A friend of mine was a buyer for Nordstroms and saw the things I make. She said that she wanted to buy them to sell at nordstroms....
I wasn't sure about it with H4 visa and non working SSN so I asked our immigration lawyer.....
I also asked about selling the stuff myself and if there was ANYTHING I could do to make a little money..

The reply was.......

On and H4 visa you are only allowed to stay in the country and the H1b visa holder signs to accept responsibility for your welfare/living expenses.... Basically you are a dependant and not allowed to work at all, as this could jeopardise you visa, meaning you would be deported....
To start a business I would need a selling license for that you need a working SSN.... If working through another company, even though I would work independantly I would still be an employee.... So definately a no go.....
I asked about volunteering.... She said it is fine but there must be proof that no money is being earned. better to volunteer through a recognised volunteer group or hospital..

I looked into Mary Kay and the representative was EXTREEMLY enthusiastic that it would be OK for me to do it. She even offered to use her name and not mine.... I refused as I would not risk my status in the US.....

I had a choice.... Stay home and find other things to keep me occupied, education etc. and not earn anything, while not risking my stay in the US or take a small job that would pay me a little and risk loosing my status and having to return to the UK...
This would have destroyed our plan, either breaking up our family of 6 or forcing hubby to give up his job and return to the UK....

I took the choice to stay home and follow the lawyers advice.

I would be very carefull and get information from the INS or a lawyer before doing anything... Oh and get it in writing just in case.........

I hope this helped.......

Just my experience...
Old May 7th 2004, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

"Policemen" don't knock on your door 7 days after your visa expires. This guy was fabricating a story beyond reality.

-= nav =-
Old May 7th 2004, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

They class this MaryKay as your own business - they say even though you are working for yourself you will never be by yourself as they help you - so do you think this means I would be ok? Or do you mean open a "proper" business like a shop or something? I'm so worried of getting it wrong and getting chucked out of this country!
What about selling on ebay, anyone got an opinion about this?
Old May 7th 2004, 2:10 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could make some chainmail and sell it on eBay????

Old May 7th 2004, 3:04 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by effi
What about selling on ebay, anyone got an opinion about this?

That's a fine idea.
I go to all the local University/ goverment surplus auctions.
I have done pretty well out of it. Most months I clear about $1000 not much but it's a help.
Best deal to date: a Wild M20 microscope cost $180 at my local university surplus, sold a week later on ebay for $2100.
Most recent deal a 500 Lb day ice machine. $400 but not running.
Replaced a timer for $8 and resold it to a local nightclub for $1500..

So check your local auctions, it's amazing what they throw away..
Old May 7th 2004, 3:09 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Sounds very risky to me. If you really need the money, do it in hubby's name. Otherwise, don't touch it with a bargepole IMO. It's not worth jeopardising your visa. Get your money back from MK by telling them that your immigrant attorney says their advice was incorrect. Doesn't matter if you don't have one, I reckon they'll cough up without tooooo much fuss. It's not worth it to them to fight.
Old May 7th 2004, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by honeymommy
here's my experience.....

I am on H4 and things got tight for us... I have a gift of being able to decorate glassware with semiprecious stones and wire wrap them. A friend of mine was a buyer for Nordstroms and saw the things I make. She said that she wanted to buy them to sell at nordstroms....
I wasn't sure about it with H4 visa and non working SSN so I asked our immigration lawyer.....
I also asked about selling the stuff myself and if there was ANYTHING I could do to make a little money..

The reply was.......

On and H4 visa you are only allowed to stay in the country and the H1b visa holder signs to accept responsibility for your welfare/living expenses.... Basically you are a dependant and not allowed to work at all, as this could jeopardise you visa, meaning you would be deported....
To start a business I would need a selling license for that you need a working SSN.... If working through another company, even though I would work independantly I would still be an employee.... So definately a no go.....
I asked about volunteering.... She said it is fine but there must be proof that no money is being earned. better to volunteer through a recognised volunteer group or hospital..

I looked into Mary Kay and the representative was EXTREEMLY enthusiastic that it would be OK for me to do it. She even offered to use her name and not mine.... I refused as I would not risk my status in the US.....

I had a choice.... Stay home and find other things to keep me occupied, education etc. and not earn anything, while not risking my stay in the US or take a small job that would pay me a little and risk loosing my status and having to return to the UK...
This would have destroyed our plan, either breaking up our family of 6 or forcing hubby to give up his job and return to the UK....

I took the choice to stay home and follow the lawyers advice.

I would be very carefull and get information from the INS or a lawyer before doing anything... Oh and get it in writing just in case.........

I hope this helped.......

Just my experience...
Crikey - thanks everyone for your advice - think I will definitely try and get my money back - we have sold bits on Ebay when we came over - got rid of lots of stuff - but I haven't had much luck over here - I'm obviously buying the wrong things - must re-think it and try again.