Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would the finance industry sponsor me to go to the US?

Would the finance industry sponsor me to go to the US?

Old Jan 13th 2015, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

sultanoflondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would the finance industry sponsor me to go to the US?

Hi all,

I hope to go into the finance industry, Sales & Trading or such like in the future in a trading firm or bank in the US, hopefully NYC.

Is it common for a bank, for example a Bulge Bracket, like JPMorgan or Bank of America or such like, to sponsor a UK citizen to come to live and work in the US for them? I don't really have family in the US, maybe some far off family members that wouldn't make a good application.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would the finance industry sponsor me to go to the US?

Originally Posted by sultanoflondon
Hi all,

I hope to go into the finance industry, Sales & Trading or such like in the future in a trading firm or bank in the US, hopefully NYC.

Is it common for a bank, for example a Bulge Bracket, like JPMorgan or Bank of America or such like, to sponsor a UK citizen to come to live and work in the US for them? I don't really have family in the US, maybe some far off family members that wouldn't make a good application.

Thanks!
Wall street jobs are very competitive (most don't get there) so you'll likely have to get experience in the UK to have a chance. For Americans to get a foot in the door directly out of a university, they likely need to be the cream of the crop from a prestigious university.

Top Colleges to Work on Wall Street | Everyday Life - Global Post

The Best Paying Wall Street Jobs & How to Make It There
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it common for a bank, for example a Bulge Bracket, like JPMorgan or Bank of America or such like, to sponsor a UK citizen to come to live and work in the US for them?
No.
It does happen but it is definitely not common.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 2:15 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my husband worked in IT for one of the banks you mentioned and they brought him across.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 5:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... Is it common for a bank, for example a Bulge Bracket, like JPMorgan or Bank of America or such like, to sponsor a UK citizen to come to live and work in the US for them? ......
As a new graduate there isn't a hope in hell. Get some experience and become a star manager and it's certainly possible. Think of it as a 5-10 year plan.
..... I don't really have family in the US, maybe some far off family members that wouldn't make a good application. ....
There are no "degrees of suitability" for family sponsorship for a US visa. Either the family relationship is close enough (spouse, parents, children 21+, siblings), or they're not (aunts/uncles, nieces/nephews, cousins, and anyone more distantly related)

Are you open to international internet dating?
Old Jan 14th 2015, 12:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Why not London? You're previous posts say you're a British citizen and not American, so you don't need a visa for London. But you do need one for New York. It makes a difference.

Is it common for a bank, for example a Bulge Bracket, like JPMorgan or Bank of America or such like, to sponsor a UK citizen to come to live and work in the US for them?
Chances are higher if you have had a successful number of years in their U.K. operation.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 7:05 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
No.
It does happen but it is definitely not common.
On the contrary, I used to work in the square mile and it is VERY common for this to occur. Colleagues at trading and IT posts were regularly offered placements with the firm in NYC and SFO.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
On the contrary, I used to work in the square mile and it is VERY common for this to occur. Colleagues at trading and IT posts were regularly offered placements with the firm in NYC and SFO.
Interesting.

Could you clarify though?

What about,

Experience/Education level/Contacts?
Old Jan 15th 2015, 11:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Interesting.

Could you clarify?
#5 pt1, above.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I'd assume but I was wondering if Horace's take was any different.
Or does his #7 assume an appropriate advanced education and relevant experience?
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
You are talking about transfers within a company.

I took the OP's question to be primarily about the possibility of being hired "off the street" by a U.S. bank.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

sultanoflondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
You are talking about transfers within a company.

I took the OP's question to be primarily about the possibility of being hired "off the street" by a U.S. bank.
That's right.

But, if a transfer happened, that would be great.

But I don't think it happens in finance much.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

That's right.

IT, oil and gas, and finance are probably the three most likely to transfer employees. However if someone is an average performer in any of those, the chances become slim.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 12:09 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Interesting.

Could you clarify though?

What about,

Experience/Education level/Contacts?
The current salaries to people being offered these moves were I would say ~6 figures and above. Management / Graduate Leadership Scheme / Top IT staff.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 12:09 am
Banned

That's right.

You're wrong. Finance is where it happens the most, as they have 1) the money 2) the skilled staff that warrants their expertise in another country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.