British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Would the finance industry sponsor me to go to the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/would-finance-industry-sponsor-me-go-us-850617/)

sultanoflondon Jan 13th 2015 5:37 am

Would the finance industry sponsor me to go to the US?

Hi all,

I hope to go into the finance industry, Sales & Trading or such like in the future in a trading firm or bank in the US, hopefully NYC.

Is it common for a bank, for example a Bulge Bracket, like JPMorgan or Bank of America or such like, to sponsor a UK citizen to come to live and work in the US for them? I don't really have family in the US, maybe some far off family members that wouldn't make a good application.

Thanks!

Michael Jan 13th 2015 6:11 am

Re: Would the finance industry sponsor me to go to the US?

Originally Posted by sultanoflondon (Post 11531421)
Hi all,

I hope to go into the finance industry, Sales & Trading or such like in the future in a trading firm or bank in the US, hopefully NYC.

Is it common for a bank, for example a Bulge Bracket, like JPMorgan or Bank of America or such like, to sponsor a UK citizen to come to live and work in the US for them? I don't really have family in the US, maybe some far off family members that wouldn't make a good application.

Thanks!

Wall street jobs are very competitive (most don't get there) so you'll likely have to get experience in the UK to have a chance. For Americans to get a foot in the door directly out of a university, they likely need to be the cream of the crop from a prestigious university.

Top Colleges to Work on Wall Street | Everyday Life - Global Post

The Best Paying Wall Street Jobs & How to Make It There

md95065 Jan 13th 2015 6:24 am

Is it common for a bank, for example a Bulge Bracket, like JPMorgan or Bank of America or such like, to sponsor a UK citizen to come to live and work in the US for them?

No.
It does happen but it is definitely not common.

MsElui Jan 13th 2015 2:15 pm

my husband worked in IT for one of the banks you mentioned and they brought him across.

Pulaski Jan 13th 2015 5:21 pm

...... Is it common for a bank, for example a Bulge Bracket, like JPMorgan or Bank of America or such like, to sponsor a UK citizen to come to live and work in the US for them? ......

As a new graduate there isn't a hope in hell. Get some experience and become a star manager and it's certainly possible. Think of it as a 5-10 year plan.

..... I don't really have family in the US, maybe some far off family members that wouldn't make a good application. ....
There are no "degrees of suitability" for family sponsorship for a US visa. Either the family relationship is close enough (spouse, parents, children 21+, siblings), or they're not (aunts/uncles, nieces/nephews, cousins, and anyone more distantly related)

Are you open to international internet dating? :unsure:

JAJ Jan 14th 2015 12:22 am

Why not London? You're previous posts say you're a British citizen and not American, so you don't need a visa for London. But you do need one for New York. It makes a difference.

Is it common for a bank, for example a Bulge Bracket, like JPMorgan or Bank of America or such like, to sponsor a UK citizen to come to live and work in the US for them?
Chances are higher if you have had a successful number of years in their U.K. operation.

hungryhorace Jan 15th 2015 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11531451)
No.
It does happen but it is definitely not common.

On the contrary, I used to work in the square mile and it is VERY common for this to occur. Colleagues at trading and IT posts were regularly offered placements with the firm in NYC and SFO.

Hotscot Jan 15th 2015 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11534850)
On the contrary, I used to work in the square mile and it is VERY common for this to occur. Colleagues at trading and IT posts were regularly offered placements with the firm in NYC and SFO.

Interesting.

Could you clarify though?

What about,

Experience/Education level/Contacts?

Pulaski Jan 15th 2015 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11534912)
Interesting.

Could you clarify?

#5 pt1, above. :nod:

Hotscot Jan 15th 2015 11:35 pm

That's what I'd assume but I was wondering if Horace's take was any different.
Or does his #7 assume an appropriate advanced education and relevant experience?

md95065 Jan 16th 2015 6:20 am

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11534850)

You are talking about transfers within a company.

I took the OP's question to be primarily about the possibility of being hired "off the street" by a U.S. bank.

sultanoflondon Jan 16th 2015 6:21 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11535318)
You are talking about transfers within a company.

I took the OP's question to be primarily about the possibility of being hired "off the street" by a U.S. bank.

That's right.

But, if a transfer happened, that would be great.

But I don't think it happens in finance much.

Michael Jan 16th 2015 6:37 am

Originally Posted by sultanoflondon (Post 11535319)
That's right.

IT, oil and gas, and finance are probably the three most likely to transfer employees. However if someone is an average performer in any of those, the chances become slim.

hungryhorace Jan 18th 2015 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11534912)
Interesting.

Could you clarify though?

What about,

Experience/Education level/Contacts?

The current salaries to people being offered these moves were I would say ~6 figures and above. Management / Graduate Leadership Scheme / Top IT staff.

hungryhorace Jan 18th 2015 12:09 am

Originally Posted by sultanoflondon (Post 11535319)
That's right.

You're wrong. Finance is where it happens the most, as they have 1) the money 2) the skilled staff that warrants their expertise in another country.