Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worst Traffic in America?

Worst Traffic in America?

Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of
Default Re: Worst Traffic in America?

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
** OFF TOPIC POST ALERT **

This is in no particular order.
Hot water heater is a great source of drinking water in case water supplies are affected, depending on size of course.
Plastic grocery bags are perfect for lining the loo and staying sanitary & healthy.
First aid kit and 2 week supply of Health Meds
Portable BBQ & Charcoal/Gas. To cook the meat stored in the freezer
Transistor radio/batteries.
Flashlight/ those portable press LED light things 5-10, they last for like 500 hours.
$100 Cash in very small bills and change.
Canned food/beans & rice.
A plan in place for where everyone should meet if the Quake hits while not at home IE: School, work, shopping, playing Etc... We chose the local Park.
Mobile phone.
Did all of the above in L.A '94 and remember it as if it was yesterday.
Having lived many a year in So.Cal I would say it is a must to always be prepared, one does not have the luxury of being forewarned when dealing with Earthquakes.
Sorry for the thread highjack, Mods feel free to move to the Appropriate place
and Yeah, L.A Traffic sucks !!...
Good post. Going OT again, one other thing people should have in their homes (in case some don't already) is a bottle of aspirin. A surprising number of people don't have aspirin at home. If anyone has any tightness in their chest, or pain in their arm and jaw, just take one aspirin and place it under the tongue, don't bite on it. Then call 911. This is a true lifesaver.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Martinsb will become famous soon enoughMartinsb will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
Local news had Boston ranked 8th worst city to commute into on a daily basis in the country...

If it's only 8th, and it's bloody horrendous, how bad must the others be?

LA was ranked the worst and I think Dallas was the second or third?

Can't remember and can't find the story online at the mo...

So how horrid is the commute like for you guys?
I can vouch for Dallas, Texas is a fantastic place to live, but 635 is a suicidal commute! If you have watched the latest couple of NASCAR races they latch on to the lead car's rear bumper and proceed to rumble around at 200mph, that is my daily commute! Don't leave a Fiesta sized breaking gap, someone will fit a truck in it. Buy a robust pick-up truck, make your peace with God, tell your wife that you love her, leave for work .... and repeat.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest one read the actual list. It is a list of "bottlenecks" and "corridors." And guess what? Of that long list, there are none in Los Angeles County. Nada, nunca.

That said, the #1 bottleneck is mis-labled. It is in Orange and Riverside counties -- which is not considered "L.A." in Southern California.

That said, I would not say that traffic is good here in LA. But when I read the first post in this thread, my thought was that I have experienced worse outside of LA. The list confirms it.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Apr 21st 2011 at 1:23 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
So how horrid is the commute like for you guys?
55 mile commute in LA that takes about 45 minutes... There's no gridlock on a motorcycle
Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RickWG
55 mile commute in LA that takes about 45 minutes... There's no gridlock on a motorcycle
CA one of those few states that allow weaving then? Good going
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

Yup, nothing quite like a formation of former London despatch riders cutting a swath thru LA traffic on the 101 at triple digits