British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Worst Traffic in America? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/worst-traffic-america-708799/)

Bob Mar 10th 2011 6:24 pm

Worst Traffic in America?

Local news had Boston ranked 8th worst city to commute into on a daily basis in the country...

If it's only 8th, and it's bloody horrendous, how bad must the others be?

LA was ranked the worst and I think Dallas was the second or third?

Can't remember and can't find the story online at the mo...

So how horrid is the commute like for you guys?

Leslie Mar 10th 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Worst Traffic in America?

I totally believe that.

Lunatics. :blink:

zargof Mar 10th 2011 6:27 pm

It Atlanta is not in the top three, then I wouldn't trust the survey...

As for my current commute, well it's a five minute walk, so OK I guess.

SpoogleDrummer Mar 10th 2011 6:41 pm

Occasionally I get stuck behind a tractor or an old biddy, other than that it's open roads here.

Poppy girl Mar 10th 2011 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9231184)
Local news had Boston ranked 8th worst city to commute into on a daily basis in the country...

I was just going to say it must be LA then noticed it was ranked the worst, bloody terrible place to drive, when ever my company want me down there I try and explain its not the easy commute from place to place like Northern CA it takes forever to get anywhere and is just not counter productive for me.

Bob Mar 10th 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 9231226)
Occasionally I get stuck behind a tractor or an old biddy, other than that it's open roads here.

A traffic jam in maine is if you can see the next 4 cars :lol:

Poppy girl Mar 10th 2011 6:55 pm

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a.../?cid=tag:all1

Pan down the page and click on the "view full list" below the photos very detailed.

Bob Mar 10th 2011 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9231253)
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a.../?cid=tag:all1

Pan down the page and click on the "view full list" below the photos very detailed.

bit depressing...because where we were living, the 13 mile run into Boston on Rt 9 if you left at 7:15 or later would take about an hour...before that, or between commuter times, you could do it in 20 mins :lol:

robin1234 Mar 10th 2011 7:19 pm

It's mostly Amish buggies here.. then the Border Patrol roadblocks slow you down sometimes..

robin1234 Mar 10th 2011 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9231289)
bit depressing...because where we were living, the 13 mile run into Boston on Rt 9 if you left at 7:15 or later would take about an hour...before that, or between commuter times, you could do it in 20 mins :lol:

Years ago, before the big dig, we'd always take 128 around Boston if we were on our way to Cape Cod. Travelling from Northern New York, we'd be coming into Boston from Manchester, NH. 128 was pretty bad but better than 93 through Boston!! Now we drive straight through Boston on I93 -- takes 20 minutes from Medford to Braintree (we avoid the rush hour, naturally.)

Bob Mar 10th 2011 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9231315)
Years ago, before the big dig, we'd always take 128 around Boston if we were on our way to Cape Cod. Travelling from Northern New York, we'd be coming into Boston from Manchester, NH. 128 was pretty bad but better than 93 through Boston!! Now we drive straight through Boston on I93 -- takes 20 minutes from Medford to Braintree (we avoid the rush hour, naturally.)

speaking of, on our way up to Maine, there was a accident at 128, the sign said to take the detour of Rt 1 via Danvers....which was a first that they would bother...would have been nice if they continued saying where to go next though :lol:

N1cky Mar 10th 2011 9:48 pm

Have to agree that traffic in LA is an absolute bloody nightmare. To take my daughter to her school on a morning, which was 5 miles away would take a minimum of 30 minutes and often up to an hour. Hubby then had another hour to do another 15 miles.

On an evening it used to take me an hour on a very good day (maybe once a month), and as long as two hours to do the 20 miles to the school, then 5 miles back home.

I never found driving there stressful though like lots of people seem to do. Don't know why people stress over crawling along at 5mph in an automatic, then again judging by the fact no-one can ever be on time for anything there I think people got stressed about missing their botox appointment.

My commute now is great, I walk down my stairs:thumbsup:

Sally Redux Mar 10th 2011 9:58 pm

My husband has a bad commute, especially as they're doing long-term roadworks on the 405 now. Luckily he doesn't get wound up.

BILDER Mar 10th 2011 10:05 pm

Boston? Honestly it's not that bad. It takes me about 25 minutes to get in everyday from Newton to Francis and Huntington. 30 with a drive thru coffee. I don't think it's that bad.

N1cky Mar 10th 2011 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9231603)
My husband has a bad commute, especially as they're doing long-term roadworks on the 405 now. Luckily he doesn't get wound up.

No point, it won't change anything