Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worst states to make a living...

Worst states to make a living...

Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:21 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Worst states to make a living...

Well I'm in the 5th state.....

http://www.money-rates.com/research-...iving/2013.htm
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst states to make a living...

What a bizarre mish-mash of criteria - including pay levels, which only affects those working, and unemployment rate which only affects those not working.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

New York is number four in the list; redeemed only by the fact that wages are among the highest in the nation. Those high wages (presumably driven by wage levels in NYC) sure make folks up here in the north country feel better. Our wage rates are about on a par with Louisiana and Mississipi.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
We are in SC too, not sure I agree with the listing. Our Son is on his way here in the Summer and I have been doing some research for him on job openings/housing costs etc, there are lots of job openings in this area,Charleston, pretty decent pay too and the costs for housing are very reasonable.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

These sorts of lists are always a little misleadingly, for example I'm sure Buffulo, NY has a cheaper costs of living that NY, NY. The same is true of most urban areas in most states.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Illinois is number 22. How, then, is it that everyone I know is bitching that they have no money (and in the case of my wife's relatives, expecting us to be the solution to that )?

I agree with the general sentiment that it is hard to be accurate with this type of assessment. Cost of living varies so much across the state that it could be great in one part but not another, irrespective of the wages and other factors.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
These sorts of lists are always a little misleadingly, for example I'm sure Buffulo, NY has a cheaper costs of living that NY, NY. The same is true of most urban areas in most states.
Agreed, Virginia contains much of suburban DC, yet in the west and south west is not much different from WV and KY that it borders, which is as extreme a range as any state, though likely similar to the difference between NYC and the rural far north of NY.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 5:32 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice to know how the two New Yorks would rate - NYC and its suburbs, and the rest of the state. Averaging the size and weight of an elephant and a mouse to tell you the size of a typical animal is meaningless.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by robin1234
New York is number four in the list; redeemed only by the fact that wages are among the highest in the nation. Those high wages (presumably driven by wage levels in NYC) sure make folks up here in the north country feel better. Our wage rates are about on a par with Louisiana and Mississipi.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:17 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarre that Hawaii is number 1, however it was number 1 in the happiest state to live a couple of months ago. Not sure how both those two things can be true.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky
Bizarre that Hawaii is number 1, however it was number 1 in the happiest state to live a couple of months ago. Not sure how both those two things can be true.
Different surveys, different surveyors. ... Anyhow, you don't have to be rich to be happy, right?

Which reminds me of a conversation I had with a colleague in January 1991, on the way to the tube in the West End, after leaving a client's office one cold and damp evening after a long day in the office. We agreed that if we could wangle positions at an executive/ senior level it would be worth staying in London, but if not it would be better to at least go somewhere where the weather was better! . I think I managed to achieve the latter, but I lost touch with my former colleague.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:58 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Different surveys, different surveyors. ... Anyhow, you don't have to be rich to be happy, right?

Which reminds me of a conversation I had with a colleague in January 1991, on the way to the tube in the West End, after leaving a client's office one cold and damp evening after a long day in the office. We agreed that if we could wangle positions at an executive/ senior level it would be worth staying in London, but if not it would be better to at least go somewhere where the weather was better! . I think I managed to achieve the latter, but I lost touch with my former colleague.
No you don't have to be rich, but you have to be able to make a living to be happy, surely.