Reload this Page >

CF83 NI38 Voluntary National Insurance Contributions Abroad

CF83 NI38 Voluntary National Insurance Contributions Abroad

Old Apr 4th 2013, 2:59 am
Just Joined

smithdave394 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CF83 NI38 Voluntary National Insurance Contributions Abroad

Hey There,

Been living in the states for the last 10 years and just found out that I could be making Voluntary NI contributions. I understand there are two classes with Class 2 being the cheaper. I see that one of the requirements to pay the Class 2 is that you were registered unemployed immediately before you left the UK. How immediate is immediate? For me there is a 12 day gap between my last claim and the day my flight left. Is this considered immediate?

Secondly some of these questions can be left blank. For example "Who do you have your Contract with?" in section 4 question 18 when it talks about your employment abroad. I have a job and have never spoken about my employment as a contract.

Any help is much appreciated?
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CF83 NI38 Voluntary National Insurance Contributions Abroad

Since the topic of NI is already here, I'd like to add to it rather than make another thread if that's ok...

Firstly, you had to be registered unemployed to pay into class 2? I didn't know that. And I guess that will prevent me from paying class 2. I resigned from my job and never registered as unemployed or for benefits. Seems odd.

I wonder if anyone can advise on how promptly the HMR&C get back to people? I applied to pay class 2 last year, and still haven't had any sort of reply Maybe they didn't like my application for class 2, I don't know.

And finally, for those paying into NI from abroad, what is your bank set up? Do you use a UK bank or use your local abroad?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:37 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by smithdave394
Hey There,

Been living in the states for the last 10 years and just found out that I could be making Voluntary NI contributions. I understand there are two classes with Class 2 being the cheaper. I see that one of the requirements to pay the Class 2 is that you were registered unemployed immediately before you left the UK. How immediate is immediate? For me there is a 12 day gap between my last claim and the day my flight left. Is this considered immediate?

Secondly some of these questions can be left blank. For example "Who do you have your Contract with?" in section 4 question 18 when it talks about your employment abroad. I have a job and have never spoken about my employment as a contract.

Any help is much appreciated?
Personally I would not worry too much about the 12 days.
If you look at this previous thread you will find some links that allow you talk to someone at the department of works and pensions if you want further details.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778916

More importantly what is your current employment status?

Last edited by AZ_Alba; Apr 4th 2013 at 8:52 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

smithdave394 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently employed but I was registered unemployed before I left in that there were 12 days between the last claim and my flight. Common sense would dictate that this is immediately but then Common Sense does not always apply to Government Agencies.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
Since the topic of NI is already here, I'd like to add to it rather than make another thread if that's ok...

Firstly, you had to be registered unemployed to pay into class 2? I didn't know that. And I guess that will prevent me from paying class 2. I resigned from my job and never registered as unemployed or for benefits. Seems odd.

I wonder if anyone can advise on how promptly the HMR&C get back to people? I applied to pay class 2 last year, and still haven't had any sort of reply Maybe they didn't like my application for class 2, I don't know.

And finally, for those paying into NI from abroad, what is your bank set up? Do you use a UK bank or use your local abroad?

Many thanks!
As I recall, being registered unemployed before you moved abroad is ONE of the possible qualifications for being eligible to pay Class Two NICs. The other is being employed. I was employed before moving to the US (was never registered unemployed in my life) and I pay Class 2.

You might want to write to them again. I believe when I first wrote to them, they replied within eight or ten weeks.

I have a pound sterling bank account in the Isle of Man so I am able to write a cheque and send it to them by mail.