Reload this Page >

Worries : Travelling NEXT WEEK To US whilst awaiting K1 visa

Worries : Travelling NEXT WEEK To US whilst awaiting K1 visa

Old Apr 19th 2002, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

robmcintosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worries : Travelling NEXT WEEK To US whilst awaiting K1 visa

Hi everybody,
Well a call the infamous INS helpline in the UK this morning has worried me.
I'm booked on a flight to visit Yvette in the US next Wednesday !!
We are currently going through the process of getting K1 approval so I am well aware that there are issues with getting into the US for a visit.
The INS (UK Embassy) website says ...
"if you wish to make a temporary visit at the end of which you will return to your permanent residence outside the United States, you may travel on a tourist (B-2) visa, or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, if qualified."
"When traveling to the U.S. either with a visa or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, you should be sure to carry with you for presentation to U.S. immigration evidence of your residence outside the U.S. If the immigration inspector is not convinced that you are a bona fide visitor for pleasure, you will be denied entry into the United States."
OK, I accept that !
Well I rang the helpline initially on another matter (why haven't I heard anything yet) but mentioned at the end of the conversation that I was planning a visit next week, had read the advice on the website, prepared all the documents I could (letter from employer, house lease agreement) and wondered if there was any other advive they could give ?
To which I was told that I should NOT attempt to travel to the US before firstly contacting and getting advice (they'll tell me if I can travel at all) from the INS in London !!
Does anyone know,
is this a pre-requisite ?,
should I contact them ?,
will it make a difference ?
has anyone else got any further advice ?,
Please help, worried,
Thanks,
Rob.
Old Apr 19th 2002, 4:10 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: Worries : Travelling NEXT WEEK To US whilst awaiting K1 visa

"robmcintosh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> from employer, house lease agreement) and wondered if there was any other advive
    > they could give ? To which I was told that I should NOT attempt to travel to the US
    > before firstly contacting and getting advice (they'll tell me if I can travel at
    > all) from the INS in London !! Does anyone know, is this a pre-requisite ?, should
    > I contact them ?, will it make a difference ? has anyone else got any further
    > advice ?, Please help, worried, Thanks, Rob.

It will make F-all difference. The consulate could tell you you definitely have no
problems and the POE could turn you back; alternatively the consulate could tell you
you are likely to be turned around and you will sail through.

By the sounds of it, you have a good collection of evidence so the only advice I will
give you is: Don't volunteer it! Treat this just like any other visit and I expect
you will be fine.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Apr 19th 2002, 6:10 pm
Johnhisc2

Default Re: Worries : Travelling NEXT WEEK To US whilst awaiting K1 visa

I went to the states for Holidays about a month ago, I had already recieved packet 3
at the time! lol and sent away the checklist... When your at the POE just don't
Volunteer any information... Non... If they ask why you are going, say visiting
friends...

IF they do figure something out.. Be honest... I had no problems.. I had more trouble
getting back into Canada! lol...

I told them they didn't have to let me in.. I didn't really want to go home
anyways!.. But they still let me through!..

Good luck all

1st noa Jan 15th 2002 (TSC) 2nd NOA (via autmated) Mar 4th2002 Packet 3 Mar 6th 2002
From Consulate 2nd Noa Mar 11th 2002 (lol) Mar 18th - 25th Vegas/california Vacation
Apr 24th (my B'day) And My Interview lol (montreal) Aug 11th Date of departure to USA
Sept 14th Wedding and happiest day of my life!

John

Toronto/Corpus Christi USA (soon)