Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

World Market

World Market

Old Mar 18th 2006, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Market

I went to the north Scottsdale location last week to get my PG Tips and all they had was decaf Typhoo and it cost me $8.99 instead of the usual $6.99. Thats the last time I wait until I'm nearly out of bags. And I'm so stocking up on the 240 count boxes when I hit the UK next month.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MiniBrit
Hi! Im in Mesa, just moved here from MA, it's like being on a different planet! Wonderful to see the sunshine again, now my feet can breath instead of rotting inside 2 pairs of socks 24hrs a day... my 'winter ich' has even gone

So Im really enjoying being here, although my opinion may well change when it gets over 100F :scared: Actually, to be fair, I didn't really enjoy the summer in MA, it may have reached 80F but with the humidity - ewwwwww I almost grew gills.
Try this place, it's not far from you on the Hayden and Thomas road cross streets at the Indian river plaza. http://www.britishgourmet.com/catalog/default.php
Old Mar 18th 2006, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Friends who went to the UK for biz/vacation just gave me a bag of Crunchies. One item of luggage weighed 39lbs at check in! It was not allowed to be checked in and had to be separated into two separate pieces.

Amongst the items in all this lot was three bottles of absinthe (!), 5lbs of Thornton's toffee, and other British goodies.

NC Penguin
Yummy. My fav choccie, and has been since I was a tyke Luckily I can get it at my local Indian.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Absinthe mmm could do some of that...
Last night I made some fudge for some american friends I was visiting for a meal, I've started doing that instead of taking wine as they dont always drink. I've made it loads of times perfectly but yesterday it came out just like thorntons toffee they thought it was great that I'd made them 'English' toffee but for the life in me I cant figure out how I did it!
What a great idea! I make fudge for the kids now and then (they're males who have 'outgrown' candy ), but ask for it now and then. Can't stand the fudge they sell here ... blech. Prefer making it the way we're used to.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 4:15 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

.... was great that I'd made them 'English' toffee but for the life in me I cant figure out how I did it!

Got your sugar a few degrees too hot would be my guess... hard ball vs soft ball.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 4:21 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Got your sugar a few degrees too hot would be my guess... hard ball vs soft ball.
Yeah I did the dropping a bit in cold water and it didnt get as hard as normal (oo err missus) apparently it later set to a more fudge like consistency? I never was any good at chemistry! Need to have a word with that experimental chef chap Heston Blumenthal who puts things in liquid nitrogen.
Anyway they ate it all and this week I have been making bread
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:06 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
What a great idea! I make fudge for the kids now and then (they're males who have 'outgrown' candy ), but ask for it now and then. Can't stand the fudge they sell here ... blech. Prefer making it the way we're used to.
I actually have an American friend who makes great creamy chocolate fudge.....not that horrible sweet sugary stuff they usually make.......I don't like the posh stuff ...give me a Cadbury's Finger any day
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:35 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold

Ok can someone post the www for this place? I tried a search on Google and managed to find some company that sold furniture. Having now been in the US for about 6 months I could do with some home comforts and would like to know if there are any of these stores in Virginia.

Decent chocolate would be nice, I saw Cadburys somewhere, bought it, ate some and after wondering what the odd taste was realized that some evil doer at Hersheys added there magic ingredient and wrecked the good old Cadburys taste.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:47 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Try this place, it's not far from you on the Hayden and Thomas road cross streets at the Indian river plaza. http://www.britishgourmet.com/catalog/default.php
I'm trying to remember if that is the place that I used to frequent. I know it was in Scottsdale so it could be. Everytime I went in there it was a minimum of $40-50 primarily for my chocolate stash as well as Branston, golden syrup, those type things. It was a British guy that owned it but I can't remember his name. I always stocked up well because I lived in Peoria so it was quite a long haul out there so I didn't do it unless I was desperate for a British fix. There is also an Indian restaurant run by Londoners somewhere in Scottsdale that has an Indian/British shop owned by the same people right behind it. They used to have pretty good things including sausages and stuff and they were a little bit more reasonable than the primarily British store, (plus if you were down there you could have a nice 'ruby' at the same time!
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:52 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nai_in_av
Ok can someone post the www for this place? I tried a search on Google and managed to find some company that sold furniture. Having now been in the US for about 6 months I could do with some home comforts and would like to know if there are any of these stores in Virginia.

Decent chocolate would be nice, I saw Cadburys somewhere, bought it, ate some and after wondering what the odd taste was realized that some evil doer at Hersheys added there magic ingredient and wrecked the good old Cadburys taste.
http://worldmarket.com/home.jsp
They do sell furniture as well as well as a ton of other stuff!
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nai_in_av

Google for Indian or British stores in your area.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 6:02 pm
Blondie22

Anyone ever seen colman's tuna pasta bake mix in any of the Brit shops? I used to love that for a quick tasty meal
I have a few in my pantry that I brought from Britain as I like it too!
Old Mar 18th 2006, 6:07 pm
Blondie22

Originally Posted by Sarah
Yeah it sucks - But we do have Wegmans which is my fave place to shop I'll miss it when I leave PA in a few years.

I love Wegmans too, infact I need to get my buns over there because I've been making Quiche a lot lately and there's nothing better than having a big slab of bacon and mushroom quiche with a big dollop of Branston on the side!
Old Mar 18th 2006, 6:14 pm
Blondie22

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Last week our local Kroger's scratch and dent trolleys were full (and I mean boxes and boxes) of Cadburys Fruit and Nut - the checkout lady reckoned it was all fine - they just couldn't sell it so had marked it down to 99cents ( it was originally up at 3.99!!!) so I decided to be neighbourly and help them out of their predicament with half a dozen bars..................

Yeah except that Walmart sells perfectly formed ones for $1.12 everyday!
Old Mar 19th 2006, 3:40 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Yeah except that Walmart sells perfectly formed ones for $1.12 everyday!
these were fine, just in the "scratch and dent" cos they weren't selling....maybe if our local walmart were selling at the same price it explains why!!!