British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   World Market (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/world-market-357535/)

Kate2112 Feb 25th 2006 2:29 pm

World Market

Has anyone else discovered this shop. They sell lots of British goodies ie Marmite, oxos, colmans mustard, hobnobs, bounty, maltesers etc. Not a huge selection but enough to make the homesick feels a little better :) They have online ordering and branches all over the US though not many in the NE of US.

dgsyd1 Feb 25th 2006 2:47 pm

Re: World Market

I'm lucky enough to live less than 5 minutes drive from a World Market. It always comes in handy when wanting to stock up on sweets, and it also has a great selection of booze too.

Bob Feb 25th 2006 3:46 pm

everyone has all these stores...and there's bugger all out in maine *lol*

geordiegirl2 Feb 25th 2006 3:48 pm

world market is part of my weekly shopping, get curry mixes, choc, beans etc there and they always have a good xmas selection

Pimpbot Feb 25th 2006 3:49 pm

We have two, that I know of.

robskatie Feb 25th 2006 3:49 pm

[QUOTE=Kate2112]Has anyone else discovered this shop. They sell lots of British goodies ie Marmite, oxos, colmans mustard, hobnobs, bounty, maltesers etc. Not a huge selection but enough to make the homesick feels a little better :) They have online ordering and branches all over the US though not many in the NE of US.[/QUOTE

Love world market, we're lucky to be surrounded by them here!!!

TouristTrap Feb 25th 2006 5:12 pm

Live in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country and we have NADA, ZILCH, Nuthink.

Whole Foods opened up an hr south of us, in ultimate snowbirdland, that is dead for 6 months of the year and didn't open here.

Bob, you're not the only one.....

nethead Feb 25th 2006 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
everyone has all these stores...and there's bugger all out in maine *lol*

We don't have WM in PA either :mad: I guess the closest must be MD...

Annette

thing1 Feb 25th 2006 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Has anyone else discovered this shop. They sell lots of British goodies ie Marmite, oxos, colmans mustard, hobnobs, bounty, maltesers etc. Not a huge selection but enough to make the homesick feels a little better :) They have online ordering and branches all over the US though not many in the NE of US.

When we lived in Grand Rapids, MI we had at least a couple World Markets handy. When we moved to Columbia, MO, we had to drive two hours to St. Louis to find a World Market. We recently moved to Portland, OR and our local (actually it is so local it is in our back yard) World Market isn't called "World Market" at all on the outside. We saw the name "Cost Plus" and wondered what kind of store it was, so wandered in. Much to our joy, it was a huge World Market...only with the old name. There are a few World Markets here in Portland.

We have a couple Brit specific stores here that carry Brit food goodies. One carries more food products than the other as the other is really more a beer store with hundreds of different varieties of beers from all over the world.

Jaxbar Feb 25th 2006 5:39 pm

We have one in Pensacola but I have found quite a lot of similar stuff in the food coop and a bit cheaper. I had to balance 3 dollars for heinz beans againts the gorgoous home made red pepper hummus at the food coop for same price. :)

mickmills Feb 25th 2006 6:03 pm

Have a similar store in nashville, called fresh market. good source for pg tips etc.

Shahlax Feb 25th 2006 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by nethead
We don't have WM in PA either :mad: I guess the closest must be MD...

Annette

There is a nice World Market in Delaware. Don't know how far that is from you.

I found some Heinz beans for $1.19 at the new Indian cash and carry store that opened near me recently. That's the cheapest I've found so far! For those in Central Jersey, it's on route 27, in North Brunswick. They also have Ribena and probably other goodies I haven't found yet.

Duncan Roberts Feb 25th 2006 6:27 pm

I can walk to my local one, but it's a rip off so I only go there if I'm really craving something.

Partystar Feb 25th 2006 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
We have two, that I know of.

Yep, one is right near me, 75th Avenue & Bell Road (next to Old Navy).

TruBrit Feb 25th 2006 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2112

yeah there's a couple i know of here...they seem to stock some good french vino :p