Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

WOrld Cup 2006 - ESPN News

WOrld Cup 2006 - ESPN News

Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough
Default WOrld Cup 2006 - ESPN News

I recently wrote to ESPN to ask them what their coverage of the World Cup will be this year. Here is their response:

"ESPN HD, ABC HD and ESPN2 HD will combine to present live coverage of
all 64 matches of the 2006 FIFA World Cup (Germany 2006) in high
definition beginning Friday, June 9 through Sunday, July 9 from 12
cities in Germany. In addition, the high-definition services will
feature the 2006 World Cup studio programs including the pre-, halftime
and post-match segments.

The high definition telecasts will be offered as a simulcast of ESPN,
ABC Sports and ESPN2 World Cup coverage  the first time all 64 FIFA
World Cup matches will be available in high definition television in the
United States. The 2006 World Cup will mark the ninth FIFA World Cup
competition on ESPN.

A specific schedule of matches (what networks will televise what
matches) has not yet been released. Feel free to check back with us in
April for more information at that time.

Sincerely,
ESPN Viewer Response Team - Fans Serving Fans"

Minty
Old Jan 26th 2006, 8:09 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WOrld Cup 2006 - ESPN News

Looks promising. I hope that goon Tommy Smyth isn't doing the games - who the hell did he ever play for at a decent level anyway?
Big fan of Derek Rae though - 'Mon the Scots (He'll be one of the few of us there, seeing we didn't qualify)
Old Jan 26th 2006, 8:41 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Looks promising. I hope that goon Tommy Smyth isn't doing the games - who the hell did he ever play for at a decent level anyway?
Big fan of Derek Rae though - 'Mon the Scots (He'll be one of the few of us there, seeing we didn't qualify)
Is Tommy Smith the Northern Irish fella ??
Is so I think he played in the early MLS circa 1980 and never managed to find his way back to NI.
By the way HD, do you ever watch GolTV ??
The boy who commentates on the spanish matches on there is superb
Old Jan 26th 2006, 9:11 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Is Tommy Smith the Northern Irish fella ??
Is so I think he played in the early MLS circa 1980 and never managed to find his way back to NI.
By the way HD, do you ever watch GolTV ??
The boy who commentates on the spanish matches on there is superb
I watch Gol TV now and again. That "VW Gol" is a decent enough round-up show.
I mostly watch FSC for the live EPL games and sometimes Fox Sports Report to get some goal action.
ESPN's Champions League coverage isn't too bad but I wish they had more games, like ESPN Deportes and the Asia/Oceania regions do.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 9:17 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

I watch Gol TV now and again.
Try to catch one of the live spanish games on a saturday afternoon - commentator is class
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Try to catch one of the live spanish games on a saturday afternoon - commentator is class
Will miss the pre, during and post match anaylsis by Gary Linekar et al.!!

Is it Tony Motson whose the usual UK match commentator?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:22 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minty
Will miss the pre, during and post match anaylsis by Gary Linekar et al.!!

Is it Tony Motson whose the usual UK match commentator?
Not quite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Motson
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:05 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

My God. The World Cup in high definition doesn't even bare thinking
about! I have HD tv.

It'll make it all the sweeter for watching England lift the trophy
with that sort of picture quality.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by elfman
He is just the best commentator!

I wonder when we will find out which cable companies will carry the football.

Do you think we will have to pay to see it?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Minty
He is just the best commentator!

I wonder when we will find out which cable companies will carry the football.

Do you think we will have to pay to see it?
You mean like, per match? I doubt it.

My local cable company have a special 3-month deal for first-timers. I was considering using it now, but I think I'll wait to install my cable in May now. Can live with terrestrial til then.

I'd have it for good if it wasn't as extortionate as it is in CA. DirectTV is *SO* much better value, but my balcony faces in the wrong direction. Even basic cable here is literally four times the price it costs for the same in Colorado! Well Colorado circa-2000 anyhow.

< / rant >
Old Jan 28th 2006, 5:46 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Get onto our very own football thread called BFT Part Deux (BFT being British Football Thread) on this very forum. Mostly English lads but we also have an Aberdeen and Hearts (yours truly) fan.