Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IT Worker Emigrating to the USA?

IT Worker Emigrating to the USA?

Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

pauljohno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Worker Emigrating to the USA?

Hi everyone,

I'm an IT worker looking to live and work in the USA. The USA appears to offer a much better standard of living compared to the UK. I'm hoping to flee the UK at the first possible opportunity!

First of all, I'm wondering if my qualifications will automatically be recognised? I already have a degree in IT (BSc 2:1 Hons) and I'm due to complete my second degree (PhD in Engineering) within the next few months. In addition to this I also hold GCSEs, A-Levels, and a few other lesser qualifications. I also have three years experience as a university lecturer and one years experience as a company director.

Secondly, are their any states in the US that would be more beneficial for me to target? An obvious one would be CA, Silicon Valley, but I suspect these jobs are super competitive?

Thirdly, are their any websites I can use that list US jobs open to international applicants? I assume if they are open to international applicants then they sponsor my visa application?

Thanks for listening! I'm looking forward to reading your responses.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Worker Emigrating to the USA?

At risk of popping your balloon, there are many thousands of unemployed and highly qualified IT workers, who are already in the country and searching for the same opportunity that you elude to.

You are going to have to identify a potential employer who is willing to go to the expense and hassle of importing you, rather than picking a candidate who is already available for work and does not come with the additional cost and headaches associated with sponsorship.

There is no 'magic' list of US employers, crying-out for foreign workers either.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Awesome Welles. You're not popping my balloon at all, this is exactly why I posted here... to get feedback and info on anything I may be overlooking.

I wasn't looking for a "magic list" of employers haha, just maybe a well know job website?

Last edited by pauljohno; Sep 6th 2010 at 4:01 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pauljohno
Thanks Awesome Welles. You're not popping my balloon at all, this is exactly why I posted here... to get feedback and info on anything I may be overlooking.

I wasn't looking for a "magic list" of employers haha, just maybe a well know job website?
My husbands a Software Engineer in Silicone Valley and they all use linkedin to network, it's not a job website but a start to see whats about.

Easiest way is to get a job with a UK company with US offices, work for them for a year or so then hope to get a transfer.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by traceym
My husbands a Software Engineer in Silicone Valley and they all use linkedin to network, it's not a job website but a start to see whats about.

Easiest way is to get a job with a UK company with US offices, work for them for a year or so then hope to get a transfer.
Thanks Tracey, I'm already on LinkedIn, I'll see if I can tie into any IT groups in the area. I'll certainly look into UK companies with US offices too.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

I'm an IT worker looking to live and work in the USA. The USA appears to offer a much better standard of living compared to the UK. I'm hoping to flee the UK at the first possible opportunity!

First of all, I'm wondering if my qualifications will automatically be recognised? I already have a degree in IT (BSc 2:1 Hons) and I'm due to complete my second degree (PhD in Engineering) within the next few months. In addition to this I also hold GCSEs, A-Levels, and a few other lesser qualifications. I also have three years experience as a university lecturer and one years experience as a company director.

Secondly, are their any states in the US that would be more beneficial for me to target? An obvious one would be CA, Silicon Valley, but I suspect these jobs are super competitive?
Thirdly, are their any websites I can use that list US jobs open to international applicants? I assume if they are open to international applicants then they sponsor my visa application?

Thanks for listening! I'm looking forward to reading your responses.
Although the Silicon Valley is very competitive, that would be your most likely avenue to getting a H1-B visa. Many of the companies in the Silicon Valley (especially the larger ones) have hired foreigners on H1-B visas so they understand the process, requirements, time constraints, and costs associated with hiring someone on a H1-B visa.

You shouldn't have any problem with your qualifications being recognized in the Silicon Valley unless your are working in a department of a company that is working on government or military contracts (highly unlikely since most of those require US citizenship). It is highly unlikely that anyone during the interview process would even ask about the specifics of your degrees except possibly areas of study when they are looking for specific expertise (eg. encryption, graphics, networking, etc.).

Last edited by Michael; Sep 6th 2010 at 6:05 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:22 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

My husbands a Software Engineer in Silicone Valley
Is that like Silicon Valley, but with tits?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I was off school the day they did spelling!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My husbands a Software Engineer in Silicone Valley
That's interesting I didn't know about these two spellings.

According to yourdictionary.com,

No: silicone | Yes: silicon
Silicon is the material they make computer chips from but implants are made of silicone.

So..... are silicon and silicone two different things? How come they sound so similar?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

You might also want to look at the major financial firms in London, as many of them also have a large presence in New York and in the other financial hubs around the world.

Last edited by discoviking; Sep 6th 2010 at 7:02 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
So..... are silicon and silicone two different things? How come they sound so similar?
I suspect that silicone is made from silicon. Though I'm too lazy to look it up.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that silicone is made from silicon. Though I'm too lazy to look it up.
Silicon = element
Silicone = polymer containing silicon
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Silicon = element
Woot! Ignorant assertion triumphs yet again!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Silicon = element
Well if I ever get round to buying a nice new pair I'll make sure I spell it right when looking for the surgeon
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:53 pm

Well if I ever get round to buying a nice new pair I'll make sure I spell it right when looking for the surgeon
I dunno, there's possibly something to be said for being the only woman in the world with a pair of strong AI knockers that exhibit weakly godlike intelligence...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.