British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   IT Worker Emigrating to the USA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/worker-emigrating-usa-684301/)

pauljohno Sep 6th 2010 3:18 pm

IT Worker Emigrating to the USA?

Hi everyone,

I'm an IT worker looking to live and work in the USA. The USA appears to offer a much better standard of living compared to the UK. I'm hoping to flee the UK at the first possible opportunity! :p

First of all, I'm wondering if my qualifications will automatically be recognised? I already have a degree in IT (BSc 2:1 Hons) and I'm due to complete my second degree (PhD in Engineering) within the next few months. In addition to this I also hold GCSEs, A-Levels, and a few other lesser qualifications. I also have three years experience as a university lecturer and one years experience as a company director.

Secondly, are their any states in the US that would be more beneficial for me to target? An obvious one would be CA, Silicon Valley, but I suspect these jobs are super competitive?

Thirdly, are their any websites I can use that list US jobs open to international applicants? I assume if they are open to international applicants then they sponsor my visa application?

Thanks for listening! I'm looking forward to reading your responses. :thumbsup:

Awesome Welles Sep 6th 2010 3:52 pm

Re: IT Worker Emigrating to the USA?

At risk of popping your balloon, there are many thousands of unemployed and highly qualified IT workers, who are already in the country and searching for the same opportunity that you elude to.

You are going to have to identify a potential employer who is willing to go to the expense and hassle of importing you, rather than picking a candidate who is already available for work and does not come with the additional cost and headaches associated with sponsorship.

There is no 'magic' list of US employers, crying-out for foreign workers either.

pauljohno Sep 6th 2010 3:58 pm

Thanks Awesome Welles. You're not popping my balloon at all, this is exactly why I posted here... to get feedback and info on anything I may be overlooking.

I wasn't looking for a "magic list" of employers haha, just maybe a well know job website?

traceym Sep 6th 2010 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by pauljohno (Post 8829932)
Thanks Awesome Welles. You're not popping my balloon at all, this is exactly why I posted here... to get feedback and info on anything I may be overlooking.

I wasn't looking for a "magic list" of employers haha, just maybe a well know job website?

My husbands a Software Engineer in Silicone Valley and they all use linkedin to network, it's not a job website but a start to see whats about.

Easiest way is to get a job with a UK company with US offices, work for them for a year or so then hope to get a transfer.

pauljohno Sep 6th 2010 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by traceym (Post 8829942)
My husbands a Software Engineer in Silicone Valley and they all use linkedin to network, it's not a job website but a start to see whats about.

Easiest way is to get a job with a UK company with US offices, work for them for a year or so then hope to get a transfer.

Thanks Tracey, I'm already on LinkedIn, I'll see if I can tie into any IT groups in the area. I'll certainly look into UK companies with US offices too.

Michael Sep 6th 2010 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by pauljohno (Post 8829826)
Hi everyone,

I'm an IT worker looking to live and work in the USA. The USA appears to offer a much better standard of living compared to the UK. I'm hoping to flee the UK at the first possible opportunity! :p

First of all, I'm wondering if my qualifications will automatically be recognised? I already have a degree in IT (BSc 2:1 Hons) and I'm due to complete my second degree (PhD in Engineering) within the next few months. In addition to this I also hold GCSEs, A-Levels, and a few other lesser qualifications. I also have three years experience as a university lecturer and one years experience as a company director.

Secondly, are their any states in the US that would be more beneficial for me to target? An obvious one would be CA, Silicon Valley, but I suspect these jobs are super competitive?
Thirdly, are their any websites I can use that list US jobs open to international applicants? I assume if they are open to international applicants then they sponsor my visa application?

Thanks for listening! I'm looking forward to reading your responses. :thumbsup:

Although the Silicon Valley is very competitive, that would be your most likely avenue to getting a H1-B visa. Many of the companies in the Silicon Valley (especially the larger ones) have hired foreigners on H1-B visas so they understand the process, requirements, time constraints, and costs associated with hiring someone on a H1-B visa.

You shouldn't have any problem with your qualifications being recognized in the Silicon Valley unless your are working in a department of a company that is working on government or military contracts (highly unlikely since most of those require US citizenship). It is highly unlikely that anyone during the interview process would even ask about the specifics of your degrees except possibly areas of study when they are looking for specific expertise (eg. encryption, graphics, networking, etc.).

chartreuse Sep 6th 2010 6:22 pm

My husbands a Software Engineer in Silicone Valley

Is that like Silicon Valley, but with tits?

traceym Sep 6th 2010 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8830161)

:rofl: I was off school the day they did spelling! :rofl:

robin1234 Sep 6th 2010 6:47 pm

My husbands a Software Engineer in Silicone Valley

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8830161)

That's interesting I didn't know about these two spellings.

According to yourdictionary.com,

No: silicone | Yes: silicon
Silicon is the material they make computer chips from but implants are made of silicone.

So..... are silicon and silicone two different things? How come they sound so similar?

discoviking Sep 6th 2010 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by pauljohno (Post 8829826)

You might also want to look at the major financial firms in London, as many of them also have a large presence in New York and in the other financial hubs around the world.

chartreuse Sep 6th 2010 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 8830202)
So..... are silicon and silicone two different things? How come they sound so similar?

I suspect that silicone is made from silicon. Though I'm too lazy to look it up.

sir_eccles Sep 6th 2010 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8830229)
I suspect that silicone is made from silicon. Though I'm too lazy to look it up.

Silicon = element
Silicone = polymer containing silicon

chartreuse Sep 6th 2010 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 8830242)
Silicon = element

Woot! Ignorant assertion triumphs yet again! :D

traceym Sep 6th 2010 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 8830242)
Silicon = element

Well if I ever get round to buying a nice new pair I'll make sure I spell it right when looking for the surgeon ;)

chartreuse Sep 6th 2010 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by traceym (Post 8830281)
Well if I ever get round to buying a nice new pair I'll make sure I spell it right when looking for the surgeon ;)

I dunno, there's possibly something to be said for being the only woman in the world with a pair of strong AI knockers that exhibit weakly godlike intelligence...