Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Work Authorization

Work Authorization

Old Jun 13th 2002, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

punksk8r79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Authorization

Hi, I will be entering the U.S on a K-1 visa in a weeks time, and i will be getting married near the end of my 90 period. I was wondering if I obtaing a 90 day EAD and get a job during that time what happens when my 90 day EAD runs out but i am still waiting for my one year EAD after filing for AOS. Am I expected to have to quit my job and then wait for the one year EAD and then look for another job? that seems a bit ridiculas to me, but officially I wont have work authorization after the 90 day period until my one year EAd arrives.
Thanks for your help
Dave
Old Jun 13th 2002, 4:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Authorization

Yes that is the way it works or rather doesn't work. If you can, marry asa you get the US. A quickie civil wedding and leave the big formal one for the original date. In this way you can file for AOS quicker and perhaps have the one year EAD without a lapse.

R
Old Jun 14th 2002, 1:20 am
Dennis

Default Re: Work Authorization

punksk8r79 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, I will be entering the U.S on a K-1 visa in a weeks time, and i will be getting
    > married near the end of my 90 period. I was wondering if I obtaing a 90 day EAD and
    > get a job during that time what happens when my 90 day EAD runs out but i am still
    > waiting for my one year EAD after filing for AOS. Am I expected to have to quit my
    > job and then wait for the one year EAD and then look for another job? that seems a
    > bit ridiculas to me, but officially I wont have work authorization after the 90 day
    > period until my one year EAd arrives. Thanks for your help Dave

It will depend on your employer, some accept a reciept for the 1 year card and
will give you another 90 days to get it. The 90 day thing is INS stating that if
you do not recieve the 1 year card in 90 days from filing that you can get a temp
card. Dennis