Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wood vs Brick built houses

Wood vs Brick built houses

Old May 25th 2011, 7:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wood vs Brick built houses

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I live in an area that was apparently the biggest building site in Europe. Thousands of new houses over the last decade and they're still building. All the ones I've seen are breeze block inner walls and brick exterior. Note that the brickwork is not just decorative though, it also forms the insulation barrier.
Aye, they've been built like that for years, they inject a foam filler in between the layers for better insulation too.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, they've been built like that for years, they inject a foam filler in between the layers for better insulation too.
I doubt very much that would pass building regs, AAC on the inner?

PU would give an R of 6 per inch so that is probably the filler, more likely sheet if it is new build.
Old May 25th 2011, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
No filler here, though I know what you mean. I don't know what it does to the dozens of airholes either - they must be there for a reason, so is the filler "breathable"?
Old May 25th 2011, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I refused to buy a slab house even though I'm not in Tornado Alley. However, the reasons have nothing to do survivability.
If you don't mind me asking, why?
Old May 25th 2011, 10:44 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I live right on the border of Alabama and I can tell you from first hand experience that even brick buildings were wiped out last month. I drive through Harvest Alabama several times a week and some very nice and expensive brick homes are nothing but rubble.

It's probably going to take much longer to rebuild that area than it will places with wood built houses. That said I still like my brick house but I always go to my storm shelter when the sirens go off.
Old May 25th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Safe rooms (usually small rooms built under the concrete garage floor or house concrete slab) are becoming common in recent years in tornado alley. They are small and cheap to build in a new house. A cellar may not be safe if it is not below a concrete floor since a F4-5 tornado can rip a wood framed attached floor from the cellar.

Even if someone builds a steel frame with rebar brick house, that still won't protect anyone since windows will break causing debris flying through the windows. Also the roof will likely be torn off in a direct F4-5 tornado hit.
That is perfectly true. I learnt that buildings are often hit,and breached, by
projectiles, such as tree limbs, vehicles, and other debris being hurled at them at a high rate of speed. Then it becomes a domino affect. I haven't done any structural design for a while, but I believe that in most areas, the wind loading is designed for 90 mph. In hurricane areas, buildings that house things such as backup generators are designed for a wind loading of 150mph.

An EF4 tornado hit 5 miles from us last month, and the damage done to older buildings was horrendous. A recovery I was at in the 90s had 2" thick steel doors bent beyond repair. A 400lb roof fan was torn from its moorings, and found 1/4 mile away, after being through a warehouse wall.

So, I guess if you design your house using H and W sections, it may well stand, but the windows will be blown out. Which is why some poor souls believed that if they opened their windows during a tornado, they would be OK!!

The experts say that there is still a lot that we have to learn about tornados, but one of the more recent thinkings is that often there are tornados in tornados.