Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

From Texas to Utah

From Texas to Utah

Old May 20th 2011, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Default From Texas to Utah

Hi,

Could someone please advise on what life is like in Utah? I am considering a work related move to Salt Lake City, but so far the only state I have lived in is Texas. The whole thing about the Mormon church, polygamy or little girls being kidnapped frightens my wife a little. Do ordinary monogamous or Christian people live there too? Besides, is there a problem there with fresh water? cause not many homes appear to have swimming pools.

Any 1st hand experience comments would be most .

Many thanks,

Gezza
Old May 20th 2011, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: From Texas to Utah

..be most welcome..
Old May 20th 2011, 2:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

You know Utah is a beautiful state and there are plenty of non-mormons that live there quite happily.

I'm not sure about where the whole "little girls kidnapped" is coming from, I don't think it is anymore a problem in Utah than anywhere elseGoodness, you've lived in Texas and survived so I imagine Utah will be a walk in the park.
Old May 20th 2011, 4:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

A few years back I asked about Salt Lake city, here's the thread - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524598

I'm sure you can probably find more up to date info, but it's a start.

City-data.com is also a good spot.

I'm glad my opportunity didn't work out because they went puff about 6 months later and so did a couple other companies in the area not long after.
Old May 20th 2011, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

If you're moving to SLC itself, you'll probably be fine - stay away from Utah County and southern Salt Lake County as they're pretty much Mormon dominated.

I'm moving there later this year, my fiancee is a born and bred Utahn (currently lives in North Salt Lake, but was born and brought up in Bountiful).

Ask away and I'll get her responses

I assume the "little girls kidnapped" bit is in response to some media coverage of the Elizabeth Smart case? As mentioned, I doubt that Utah is much different to any other area on that front.

Active LDS church membership is on the decline, apparently, assisted by more non-LDS moving into the state.

Gin did say that one benefit is that the bugs are smaller in Utah than Texas
Old May 20th 2011, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Oh, and as for fresh water, Utah is a desert and has been in a virtual state of drought for a couple decades - lots of run-off from the mountain snowpacks though (currently sitting at 200% of the long-term average, I think), so only the rich tend to have pools as using water for one is pretty expensive.

The flip side is, of course, mountains - year-round entertainment, whether you like hiking, mountain bikes, winter sports, things like that, plus all the lakes in the mountains for water sports.
Old May 20th 2011, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Just visited some catholic relatives of the wife who live in SLC. We drove up from Phx which was an amazing drive, beautiful scenery.

Sticking to the urban areas of SLC where it is more cosmopolitan is probably for the best as outside them people know nothing but LDS and are very insular.

Consider a private school. The relatives send their kids to a private catholic school. Apparently Mormon kids don't play nice with non-mormon kids in the public schools. Sounded pretty vicious. Be prepared for neighbors to shun you.

Generally speaking if you are accosted by missionaries, if you tell them you aren't interested they generally leave you alone. We were 7-0 walking across temple square.

What is a shame for the LDS is they do a huge amount of good work for charity and disaster relief which is often overshadowed by their proselytizing, evangelizing, baptizing the dead, attitudes to women, gays, etc.
Old May 20th 2011, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

fallingwater is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved from Texas to Qatar, then back to Texas via a year in Salt Lake City. Don't need to worry about the Mormons if you live close to the city itself, around the University - much more liberal than out in the suburbs. I enjoyed it - particularly after Qatar, the scenery and climate were a gift after that! Rowland Hall is a great private school, West High School if you stay with state education. Nice areas to live are The Avenues, and Sugar House. We lived in a renovated rental on 18th Avenue. Our neighbours were very welcoming from mixed backgrounds, no sign of any Mormon pressure even though we lived next door but one from an LDS church. The views of the Wasatch mountains and the canyons over towards the Great Salt Lake were wonderful (especially after three years looking at a building site in Qatar). A long winter but it was magical with all the powdery snow. Very different to Texas but I like both places. A decent arts scene going on in town, theatre etc, hiking in summer, skiing or snow-shoeing in winter, mountain biking etc and even a few small local breweries - just don't have more than one drink per person on your table at a time! Good luck.
Old May 20th 2011, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

...Appreciate a good respnse.

Are there any lake beaches on the lake? Is the Salt Lake the same as any other lake?
Old May 20th 2011, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

No so sure about beaches, the Salt Lake is a bit different, I don't think much lives in it, but it is an interesting area. At certain times the lake emits a smell like rotten eggs, something to do with its bacteria level, but I only ever noticed this around the airport. Google Antelope Island for more information about the area and what to do there. If there's anything else just ask.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again.
How is Sandy/Draper area? Is it family friendly?
Old May 21st 2011, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gezza
Thanks again.
How is Sandy/Draper area? Is it family friendly?
We used to go to Sandy for the mall/shopping sometimes. Not sure about living there, a bit too far out of town, a bit bland, probably family friendly though I don't know how Mormon it is. I liked the identity of being close to Salt Lake City itself, it's not that big, very manageable day to day, the suburbs did not appeal to me in the same way. I suppose it depends on where you are working as well.
Old May 21st 2011, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Just visited some catholic relatives of the wife who live in SLC. We drove up from Phx which was an amazing drive, beautiful scenery.

Sticking to the urban areas of SLC where it is more cosmopolitan is probably for the best as outside them people know nothing but LDS and are very insular.

Consider a private school. The relatives send their kids to a private catholic school. Apparently Mormon kids don't play nice with non-mormon kids in the public schools. Sounded pretty vicious. Be prepared for neighbors to shun you.

Generally speaking if you are accosted by missionaries, if you tell them you aren't interested they generally leave you alone. We were 7-0 walking across temple square.

What is a shame for the LDS is they do a huge amount of good work for charity and disaster relief which is often overshadowed by their proselytizing, evangelizing, baptizing the dead, attitudes to women, gays, etc.
What is proselytising?
Old May 21st 2011, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

nickkellie will become famous soon enoughnickkellie will become famous soon enough

whats so bad about mormons ? I have mormons in my family... they are lovely people. Open your mind....
Old May 21st 2011, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that there is anything inherently "bad" about Mormons but, if you happen to be non-religious (or, possibly, even if you are), you may find that some of their views and beliefs can be are anything from slightly strange to deeply disturbing and that might make you feel uncomfortable living in a community where many people subscribe to those beliefs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.