Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wireless not WiFi for the Laptop

Wireless not WiFi for the Laptop

Old Feb 5th 2006, 1:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wireless not WiFi for the Laptop

Just wondered if anybody had one of these and what they thought of them.

I have access to a deal for a 'free' card and $60 a month. But it would save me $30 a month subscription for software I would not need and potentially even more if I could chop my home broadband. Though that might mean setting up some sort of home server.

Seems like the download would be 500k, fine for me, but 52k in weak signal areas.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Wireless not WiFi for the Laptop

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just wondered if anybody had one of these and what they thought of them.

I have access to a deal for a 'free' card and $60 a month. But it would save me $30 a month subscription for software I would not need and potentially even more if I could chop my home broadband. Though that might mean setting up some sort of home server.

Seems like the download would be 500k, fine for me, but 52k in weak signal areas.
I'd be interested in this also. I plan on a possible change of career shortly and wireless internet is going to be a virtual neccessity. I know that verizon do a $80 a month/$35 connection fee type arrangement with unlimited access but their coverage map scared me as it looked very "patchy" to say the least.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.evdoforums.com/index.php
Old Feb 6th 2006, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

d4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the rough

i have evdo on my phone but the same principal applies, i barely leave nyc so i have internet access on a dial up dsl connection whenever i want it
its excellent, i can find out anything i want whenever i want, for emails all i need to do is hit send/receive and they are there

and i have it for one of these

Last edited by d4vid; Feb 6th 2006 at 4:35 pm.