Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Winter Studs

Winter Studs

Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

eepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Winter Studs

Originally Posted by Bob
But does $25 a tyre sound a complete joke, or that the going rate out here?
I seem to remember paying about $20 per tyre in Mass - it seemed criminal to me given what I'd paid for the tyres!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eepgmik
The only thing I noticed is that the sidewall is quite hard but pretty much the same as the NordFrosts. They also feel pretty reasonable on the road without snow; as someone else said they clear the main roads pretty quickly so unless you spend most of your time out in the sticks you don't need studs.

In fact most locals look at me funny when I talk about winter tyres - they just drive around with whatever someone else slapped on their car when they bought it/last had the tyres changed If we were in Maine or NH I think it would be a different story
Aye, the roads might get cleaned, but while I still have the studs, and if we visit the in-laws, we'll need them where they live the roads are shite, it doesn't even get ploughed properly in parts, just compacted down.

Once there knackered, I'll probably invest in some half decent all weather tyres though...but spending oddles on tyres, hardly a lot of fun, rather splash out on new toys, but as I don't want to splash out for a new motor is I go sideways, I guess tyres it'll be...hmmm...wonder if I could get them as a birthday present in Feb...that would be a joy *lol*
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eepgmik
I seem to remember paying about $20 per tyre in Mass - it seemed criminal to me given what I'd paid for the tyres!
ouch....aye, bit of a joke, especially compared to the going rate for in Maine, I know the studs aren't on there own rims and need to be swapped over, but still, it doesn't take a tyre place that much more time to do...cheeky gits.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 2:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Well I couldn't be arsed with the 40 mile detour to get to the tyre place out where the folks are, or near enough, and went to Tire Warehouse, $51 for a swap over on a whole set....but found out Sam's Club do it for $9 a tyre, so that's a bit annoying.

Oh well...still better than $25 a tyre.