Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Winter Studs

Winter Studs

Old Nov 10th 2006, 1:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Studs

Originally Posted by Elvira
Bob, dear, Costco are pretty good for tyres, I think. The price includes after service/rotating. and a decent warranty.

Even if you're not a member, maybe you know someone who is?

might be worth looking for one....but there ain't one around...wonder if BJ's do tyres...Sam's club do, but there ain't one around here nearby either..

anyone used Walmart for tyres?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 1:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Me
that's a lot of good to me
Old Nov 10th 2006, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Good job Vic's husband's home...the title of this thread could have sent her over the edge.
LOL I just zoomed straight into it, what a disappointment Bob
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

Bob, the Costco in Dedham is great for tyres. We have also bought winter tyres for my car from Tire Rack, and we'll be needing another set for my husband's car very soon....
Old Nov 11th 2006, 3:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by janj
Bob, the Costco in Dedham is great for tyres. We have also bought winter tyres for my car from Tire Rack, and we'll be needing another set for my husband's car very soon....
Dedham...blimey, that's miles away out southish ain't it?

Tire rack, I know a couple people who got tyres from there, but somin' weird about getting tyres off line and postage *l*

But the in-laws arrived, and it looks like our studs haven't rotted away in the shed, and they do still have most of the studs still, so should last the winter...not looking forward to getting a new set if it becomes a mild winter.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 11:31 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
might be worth looking for one....but there ain't one around...wonder if BJ's do tyres...Sam's club do, but there ain't one around here nearby either..

anyone used Walmart for tyres?
I've used WalMart for all our tires for about 10 years and have been VERY pleased with them, and WM's service on them. Get the 'tire protection plan' for ~$9 each and you get lifetime warrenty, rotation and balancing. As we travel a lot, having a WM in every town is very nice too. Last year when I took it in for rotation, they told me the tires were 'dry rotted' (hell, they were on their last leg anyway, I was ready to buy some new ones) and under the warrenty, sold me (4) new $100 tires for $25 each. I have also had flats replaced under the plan and always get a hell of a deal.

BTW- Studded snow tires are legal from the First of November to the End of April (tho I thought they were illegal in most areas due to the damage they do to the roads).

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/default.a...faqs&sid=about
Old Nov 12th 2006, 5:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

That's cool...might have them bung our tyres on, there don't appear to be a VIP or other type tyre place around here, plenty of petrol stations that do some work, so see if the one at work will do it over lunch or something, so we'll see...but something worth keeping in mind, don't know how my all weathers are doing, there looking in worse shape than the studs, so something for after winter me thinks...

Originally Posted by ironporer
I've used WalMart for all our tires for about 10 years and have been VERY pleased with them, and WM's service on them. Get the 'tire protection plan' for ~$9 each and you get lifetime warrenty, rotation and balancing. As we travel a lot, having a WM in every town is very nice too. Last year when I took it in for rotation, they told me the tires were 'dry rotted' (hell, they were on their last leg anyway, I was ready to buy some new ones) and under the warrenty, sold me (4) new $100 tires for $25 each. I have also had flats replaced under the plan and always get a hell of a deal.

BTW- Studded snow tires are legal from the First of November to the End of April (tho I thought they were illegal in most areas due to the damage they do to the roads).

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/default.a...faqs&sid=about
Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

There is only ONE winter tyre to buy if you want the best...either studded or non studded you CANNOT beat "Nokian Hakapaliita's". Made by the Scandinavians that drive in snow all year round and trust me when I say they are THE BEST.

However, if they are too pricey for you then go for the pikey option....... Winterforce or Bridgestone Blizzaks.

If you do decide to go for the Nokians I personally guarentee you wont be dissapointed.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rushman
There is only ONE winter tyre to buy if you want the best...either studded or non studded you CANNOT beat "Nokian Hakapaliita's". Made by the Scandinavians that drive in snow all year round and trust me when I say they are THE BEST.

However, if they are too pricey for you then go for the pikey option....... Winterforce or Bridgestone Blizzaks.

If you do decide to go for the Nokians I personally guarentee you wont be dissapointed.
So that's how you spell 'em...I couldn't remember when you mentioned them in the chat room and couldn't find the buggers...

so what's the difference in the different types then as they range from $100-140 odd a tyre?

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/Tiresearch...ubmittire.y=15

which is still a tad much for me...hell, my all season jobbies, well half of them are shite kumhos' ASX or somin'....cheap as chips, but they do alright, not lasting that long though, not as nice as the michellin's that I had before...
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob

so what's the difference in the different types then as they range from $100-140 odd a tyre?
How do I know, I don't make em. All I can tell you is that I had a set of Winterforce first they were pretty good, then we had Blizzaks..good too but the Winterforce had more grip in the snow on Mrs.R vehicle.
Then at last we found studded Nokians in the right size and had them on last winter......"almost" like driving in the dry...awesome tyres and I do drive hard and brake late.
Getting a set for the BMW in a week or two aswell.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

How do I know, I don't make em. All I can tell you is that I had a set of Winterforce first they were pretty good, then we had Blizzaks..good too but the Winterforce had more grip in the snow on Mrs.R vehicle.
Then at last we found studded Nokians in the right size and had them on last winter......"almost" like driving in the dry...awesome tyres and I do drive hard and brake late.
Getting a set for the BMW in a week or two aswell.
That's cool....hmmm...well next winter, if I can get them on a deal some place, either them or the bridgestones...

so any recommendations for half decent all weather tyres that won't break the bank? the kumho's ain't to bad, but don't last that long, so gonna have to stump for a bit more me thinks next time around...saying that, should probably chuck the motor for a newer one...hmmm...
Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

GaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud of

Having done a fair deal of winter driving in Finland, I can vouch for that!

Interestingly enough, before Nokia started making mobile phones they only made cables, tyres and wellingtons!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

bloomin' hell...I think I'll wait till thanks giving and get them swapped over in Maine before we head back down...

Local place to work, Direct Tires, said it would be $25 a tyre....could get the whole car swapped over for $36 in maine...so ouch.

But does $25 a tyre sound a complete joke, or that the going rate out here?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:49 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
so any recommendations for half decent all weather tyres that won't break the bank? the kumho's ain't to bad, but don't last that long, so gonna have to stump for a bit more me thinks next time around
I have Michelin LTX M/S and highly recommend them. They are not the cheapest around, I need to replace my rears and it's $160 per tyre. But they last really well (mine were on the truck when I bought it, and I have since put another 50k onto them) and they handle all weather conditions really well.

They are more expensive than a lot of other tyres, but well worth it. Especially considering that if you buy a cheaper set and have to replace after 25k miles or so.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

eepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
Dedham...blimey, that's miles away out southish ain't it?

Tire rack, I know a couple people who got tyres from there, but somin' weird about getting tyres off line and postage *l*

But the in-laws arrived, and it looks like our studs haven't rotted away in the shed, and they do still have most of the studs still, so should last the winter...not looking forward to getting a new set if it becomes a mild winter.
Bob,

I got some Dunlop Graspic DS-2 tyres from Tire Rack - they arrived really quickly and were very cheap - $59 each. For the snow that we had here in Mass last year they were great and worked pretty much as well as the Gislaved NordFrosts that I took off (they had bubbled).

This is on my Saab that skated around all over the place with my summer tyres in the first snow - I put the NordFrosts on quick sharp, and then fairly soon replaced them with the Dunlops so I had a good comparison.

The only thing I noticed is that the sidewall is quite hard but pretty much the same as the NordFrosts. They also feel pretty reasonable on the road without snow; as someone else said they clear the main roads pretty quickly so unless you spend most of your time out in the sticks you don't need studs.

In fact most locals look at me funny when I talk about winter tyres - they just drive around with whatever someone else slapped on their car when they bought it/last had the tyres changed If we were in Maine or NH I think it would be a different story

Martin (in Dedham)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.