Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

will we cope??

Wikiposts

will we cope??

Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:22 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: will we cope??

Although the situations are not identical, the US Department of Health and Human Services has set the poverty guideline (obviously not counting university-related expenses) for a family of 4 at a jaw-dropping $21,200.

For immigrant visa purposes, the figure the petitioner must meet is 125% of the poverty guideline. In this case, 125% of 21,200 = $26,500.

If your family has US$40,000 saved up (outside of the costs of tuition and books and such), the AmEmb should not have a problem with this amount of money for a family of four.

Other commentators have given some good suggestions. Consider university provided health insurance. Your relative may be able to steer you to a reasonably-priced policy. Alternatively, you MAY -- I doubt it, but it never hurts to check -- qualify to have the children insured by a Utah-based state program for which you pay. CAUTION: do not enroll your children in such a program, if it would make them a public charge.

You may consider shopping at student co-ops, rather than chain supermarkets. Clip coupons from the Sunday paper. Also, at least here in Los Angeles, there is a store oh-so-cleverly called "Food-4-Less" which has very good deals. There are volume-based stores, such as Costco and Sam's Place, where you can buy in volume and save quite a lot of money. Perhaps you can pool with one or two other graduate students to buy goods in bulk and share. Yes, you're going to be living on a tight budget, but I think you'll be fine, as long as you're frugal and careful.

Notwithstanding what the Morman Church thinks of the likes of me, I think they are well known for programs that reach out to their parishoners, and you should make yourself open to those as well.

It is quite true that the MBA has been the hula hoop du jour...indeed it is the degree of choice since the Reagan years. I would not let the attitude of others deter you or your family. There are scarier degrees your husband could be studying for. He could be going for his J.D.!

Best of luck.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all

I consulted my two friends Russell and Jonathan, they suggest one of these options..
1. Work illegally while you're there.
2. As you're a Mormon, get your husband hitched to a USC. Make sure she already has an MBA and is raking in $200k
3. Get the children to work

Seriously though, as everyone suggests it will be extremely hard, but if you're supporting him, you should get through. I think you're doing a courageous thing, but keep focused on the positives. What's the worst that happens? You have to come back to the UK/Europe and start working?

If you don't take risks, you don't get anywhere. You're in the right country to test that theory out.

Good luck to you and your family.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:09 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Fongs reply reminded me of these guys who could be helpful

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/ they sell a food package each month (can buy more than one if you want) of basic food for a family of 4. No pre requirements just order it from the local office if there is one) .
Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ITsWhatIDo
...What's the worst that happens? You have to come back to the UK/Europe and start working? ...
They run out of money and get stranded in a country where they won't be allowed to work and could then be deported not to be allowed back, or go bankrupt if one of them gets sick and they have inadequate medical insurance?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Venus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to all

...or we could all die tomorrow...

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the amounts they told us $4-$6k a month during the summer. I don't know how much during the actual year.
Well as it stand today XE $51K so who knows we might be lucky and be able to get by on this.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I certainly wouldn't want to try and cope on that money with a family of 4 to support. Having said that, anything's possible - it just won't be pleasant.

Being the negative asshole that I am, I'll just ask this; why would anyone put their family through this for an MBA, right around the time that the world has come to the realization that MBAs were just another marketing gimmick to extract $$$ from people with a promise that they would somehow become masters of the universe once they had "MBA" after their name?

I know many, many people in my field of work who spent tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars taking MBAs when they were the height of fashion, only to discover that nobody gives a toss anymore, and that the qualification provided zero advantage when it came to trying for that elusive top-executive corner-office job.

It's a really shitty thing for me to say, but I would suggest that you consider whether there is any real return on investment for this potentially useless qualification.

Actually I felt this was what you say when I 1st saw MBA courses advertised on the tube trains, some years ago. I fail to see someone being selected to the job because of the MBA, especially to management. In our politically charged times the hiring of new personnel has gone pretty "inscrutable".
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:05 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
Actually I felt this was what you say when I 1st saw MBA courses advertised on the tube trains, some years ago. I fail to see someone being selected to the job because of the MBA, especially to management. In our politically charged times the hiring of new personnel has gone pretty "inscrutable".
In light of changes in our economy, I think they are in for quite a challenge here in Utah.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Make sure you know what work your husband is allowed to do on his visa even after the first 9 months. As an F-1 student between 2005-2007, I was only allowed to work 20 hours a week and only on campus. There are forms you can fill out to work off-campus and extra hours, but there are certain restrictions and you must get permission to do so. During the summer, it is a similar thing, you can only work a certain number of hours and you may have to fill out a form to get permission to do so. I don't know how things differ now, or at other universities, but I believe this used to be a USCIS requirement. Talk to the international office at your school for updated information on what is allowed after the initial 9 months.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:07 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Make sure you know what work your husband is allowed to do on his visa even after the first 9 months. As an F-1 student between 2005-2007, I was only allowed to work 20 hours a week and only on campus. There are forms you can fill out to work off-campus and extra hours, but there are certain restrictions and you must get permission to do so. During the summer, it is a similar thing, you can only work a certain number of hours and you may have to fill out a form to get permission to do so. I don't know how things differ now, or at other universities, but I believe this used to be a USCIS requirement. Talk to the international office at your school for updated information on what is allowed after the initial 9 months.

This is the bit that worried me. While normal MBA interns are making XX amount per month, I'm wondering how this visa restriction is going to limit their salary.