Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

will we cope??

will we cope??

Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Venus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to all
Default will we cope??

We are hoping on moving nex sept as my husband is doing and MBA. My questions is, he won't be able to work for the first 9 months and we will be bringing with us around $40k and that is for rent, food car, insurance...etc that is not for fees. I'm very worried that we will run out of money before the 9 months are up. We are a family of 4 do you think will we be able to cope? The thing that worried me the most is the health insurance. Honest opinions please. Thanks
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:13 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: will we cope??

Originally Posted by Venus
We are hoping on moving nex sept as my husband is doing and MBA. My questions is, he won't be able to work for the first 9 months and we will be bringing with us around $40k and that is for rent, food car, insurance...etc that is not for fees. I'm very worried that we will run out of money before the 9 months are up. We are a family of 4 do you think will we be able to cope? The thing that worried me the most is the health insurance. Honest opinions please. Thanks
Where are you moving to?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Venus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to allVenus is a name known to all

Utah
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why would he not be able to work for 9 months and there is a reason why you can't? What visa are you two coming on?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Why would he not be able to work for 9 months and there is a reason why you can't? What visa are you two coming on?
If he's doing an MBA, I'm guessing a student visa. No idea about the wife.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Yes it is a student visa, and when you do the application it states that you can't work for the first 9 month (university application no visa application) after that he can get an intership. I'm not allowed to work.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Become a Mormon ..they will look after you....
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:00 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is a student visa, and when you do the application it states that you can't work for the first 9 month (university application no visa application) after that he can get an intership. I'm not allowed to work.
I certainly wouldn't want to try and cope on that money with a family of 4 to support. Having said that, anything's possible - it just won't be pleasant.

Being the negative asshole that I am, I'll just ask this; why would anyone put their family through this for an MBA, right around the time that the world has come to the realization that MBAs were just another marketing gimmick to extract $$$ from people with a promise that they would somehow become masters of the universe once they had "MBA" after their name?

I know many, many people in my field of work who spent tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars taking MBAs when they were the height of fashion, only to discover that nobody gives a toss anymore, and that the qualification provided zero advantage when it came to trying for that elusive top-executive corner-office job.

It's a really shitty thing for me to say, but I would suggest that you consider whether there is any real return on investment for this potentially useless qualification.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

I'm already a mormon that is one of the reasons we chose Utah and not other state.
and dbj1000 thanks for your comments I really haven't got a response to that.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm already a mormon that is one of the reasons we chose Utah and not other state.
and dbj1000 thanks for your comments I really haven't got a response to that.
Your well in then ....they will look after their flock ..
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

it doen't mean they will pay my expenses..
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:12 pm
Ray

it doen't mean they will pay my expenses..
LOL No ... they will feed you ..and give you bonus point for new
members you find...if you go downhill
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Will he even be granted a visa? Have you checked the financial requirements for getting one?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can do it.
We are a family of 5 in California (not the most expensive part) and live on $45,000 a year. But have great medical insurance from Dh's work.
Cook from scratch, eat out very little, clip coupons, shop at thrift shops for clothes and other household things, like small electronics, buy a used car, take the bus, no cable TV, etc etc.
Not everyone needs or has fancy new stuff. and from what I hear Utah is cheaper than California.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:57 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes you can do it.
We are a family of 5 in California (not the most expensive part) and live on $45,000 a year. But have great medical insurance from Dh's work.
Cook from scratch, eat out very little, clip coupons, shop at thrift shops for clothes and other household things, like small electronics, buy a used car, take the bus, no cable TV, etc etc.
Not everyone needs or has fancy new stuff. and from what I hear Utah is cheaper than California.
...but you don't get great medical insurance as a student with no employment, do you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.