Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security No/Card on L1A Visa

Social Security No/Card on L1A Visa

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:17 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of
Default Social Security No/Card on L1A Visa

Hi, I am about to enter the US for the first time since getting my L1A, so finally no more green waiver form for me. I need to get a social security number/card and am wondering if anyone can offer some advice? It says on the SS application form that I must show my immigration document and it mentions this could either be an I94 or an I766. I understand that I would have a stamped I94 upon entering the US so is this sufficient or will they ask for an I766 as well?

It looks like the I766 is complicated/there is an application process?

In the past the airlines have given me green waiver forms but do they also carry the white I94 blanks or do I need to get one somewhere else?

Many Thanks

Simon
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security No/Card on L1A Visa

Hi Simon,

They also carry the white I-94's on the airline. They will give you one.

As far as I know, all you need to show at the SS office is your passport, visa, and stamped I-94. Plus the SSN application, of course. You might want to wait about a week to 10 days after arrival in the USA before going in person to the SS office, though, because it can take that long to get your record of arrival into the system SS uses to check your status. If they can't verify it, they can't issue you the SSN.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:28 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

Thanks for the tip about waiting a week, as far as I understand it they don't give immigrants SS numbers and cards on the spot? you have to wait a few weeks (or months) for them to send it to you?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megalaser
Thanks for the tip about waiting a week, as far as I understand it they don't give immigrants SS numbers and cards on the spot? you have to wait a few weeks (or months) for them to send it to you?
The procedure is:
1. Arrive in the USA.
2. About 7 to 10 days later, go in person to the SS office with your application and backup documents.
3. If you're in the system, they will accept your application.
4. They can provide you with a letter to show your employer that you've applied for the SSN.
5. The actual SS card shows up in the mail within a week or two after applying.
6. If you need to know the number before receiving the actual card, you can go back in person to the SS office and request the number. They will give it to you on a piece of paper which won't be the actual card.

It's not just immigrants that they don't give the number and card to on the spot. It's everyone.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit of hair splitting, but by their definition you will not be 'immigrants'.

When you arrive at the airport and swap documents, the agent there turns your info over to a data processing center and they enter your entry information in the computer & into a database called SAVE.
When you go to apply for your SS#, the SSA must verify what you tell them in your application with what the DHS (Dept Homeland Security, in charge of the border) records say.
SSA looks you up in SAVE; if your info matches, they issue the SSN/card. This can happen within 2 weeks.

If you wait a week or so, you give enough time for your information to already be in SAVE by the time you go to SSA. This speeds your application.

If you are not in SAVE, they have to hold your application and keep checking on your status. But sometimes they forget etc. So you are not actually saving time by applying 'early'.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:36 pm
James Chesterton

That's great - thanks for the information - very helpful. Best Regards Simon
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That's great - thanks for the information - very helpful. Best Regards Simon
Simon, I had a brain fart.. it should be even easier for you.

Your visa type is employment authorized 'incident to status' and your SSN should be issued immediately. Your I-94 is the evidence you need at SSA.

You will never get an I-766; that is an Employment Authorization Document.
If you have an accompanying spouse, they would need to apply for an EAD.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
Simon, I had a brain fart.. it should be even easier for you.

Your visa type is employment authorized 'incident to status' and your SSN should be issued immediately. Your I-94 is the evidence you need at SSA.
Doesn't he still need to wait until his name is in SAVE, though?

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Doesn't he still need to wait until his name is in SAVE, though?

Rene
Yes, of course. I have confused myself as well as everyone else now!

Wait at least a week from entry is still good policy.. sorry for the double reverse brain fart!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, of course. I have confused myself as well as everyone else now!

Wait at least a week from entry is still good policy.. sorry for the double reverse brain fart!
Lay off the beans, meauxna.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:32 pm
James Chesterton

That's great - Many Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

That's great - Many Thanks
Yep - I waited about a week - then showed up at Social Security office with passport and I94. Filled the application in while I was there. They give you a letter saying that you've applied then the card shows up a few weeks later. If your employer thinks that's too long, go back to the SS office, once your number is issued they can give you a print out of your number before the physical card is issued (mine got mis-delivered so was returned so I did that)
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:03 pm
James Chesterton

Do they issue you the number when you are at the SS office applying? (I am not too bothered about the actual card but I would like to get the number as quickly as I can). Many Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:11 pm

Do they issue you the number when you are at the SS office applying? (I am not too bothered about the actual card but I would like to get the number as quickly as I can). Many Thanks
No, I don't believe they can have it ready that fast. You have to go back in person another day (maybe even the next day) to get the number.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

They issue it overnight the day you go to the office, so you can go back after 24hrs. They gave me a card with a number to call to check if the number has been issued.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.