Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will my GCSEs be recognised in the US?

Will my GCSEs be recognised in the US?

Old May 31st 2017, 9:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my GCSEs be recognised in the US?

Originally Posted by passthekimchi
Ah, very helpful. I haven't paid for the GCSEs yet. If I was to take them, it would be from September to July, so a lot of potential "moving time" would be lost. I would rather not take them if I don't have to.

I suppose now then, I'm looking at moving over first, then adjusting my status, and then doing a GED. Can I do a GED at a community college? Any ideas how much it costs and how long it takes, etc?
You really don't need to be so vague. Your only legal option for the path you are describing is a K-1 visa. We are all well- versed in immigration, so it's fine to just clarify that "yes, I'm getting a K-1 visa".

As for the GCSE question, I vote for skipping those and then getting your GED in the USA, with a mindset of eventually getting a degree.

Rene
Old May 31st 2017, 9:14 pm
Ordinary Aspie

passthekimchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You really don't need to be so vague. Your only legal option for the path you are describing is a K-1 visa. We are all well- versed in immigration, so it's fine to just clarify that "yes, I'm getting a K-1 visa".

As for the GCSE question, I vote for skipping those and then getting your GED in the USA, with a mindset of eventually getting a degree.

Rene
Well, I'm not getting a K-1 visa... But anyway, thanks for the helpful advice. I guess I'm skipping the GCSEs then. That's a relief. Regarding the degree, why would I need a degree? Is that required for all/most jobs?
Old May 31st 2017, 9:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm not getting a K-1 visa... But anyway, thanks for the helpful advice. I guess I'm skipping the GCSEs then. That's a relief. Regarding the degree, why would I need a degree? Is that required for all/most jobs?
It is for jobs that are reasonably well paid, and essential if you are trying for a work visa.
Old May 31st 2017, 9:20 pm
Ordinary Aspie

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It is for jobs that are reasonably well paid, and essential if you are trying for a work visa.
Thank you. So if I just wanted a job in, say, McDonald's to supplement my husband's income, I wouldn't need a degree for that?
Old May 31st 2017, 9:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. So if I just wanted a job in, say, McDonald's to supplement my husband's income, I wouldn't need a degree for that?
No degree necessary for that type of work, no.

Rene
Old May 31st 2017, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Husband!! Not sure why you wouldn't explain but glad you have received the info you needed.
No l don't think you need them for a fast food job but second the GED.
Old May 31st 2017, 9:38 pm

Well, I'm not getting a K-1 visa...
Thanks for clarifying. So the only other legal option is a CR-1 immigrant spouse visa...so I assume you'll be getting married and then starting the immigrant visa process.

It was just a bit confusing because you mentioned adjustment of status. When entering the USA on an immigrant visa, you become a US PR immediately...no adjustment of status involved.

Instead of "partner", if you're already married, it's best to say "husband" in the USA. Partner tends to mean you are unmarried.

Still not sure why you didn't want to come right out with saying Immigrant Visa, either, though! Unless your plan is to visit on the VWP, marry, then adjust status...which I assume you don't mean to do, as its illegal to represent yourself as a tourist if your true intent is to adjust status.

Rene
Old May 31st 2017, 9:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

To be clear, I do understand the system and have been researching the best visa to apply for for 3 years. But I am not here to ask or answer questions about my visa... I only require job advice and don't want to waste people's time on something I already understand myself. ....
But you ARE wasting our time if, as you hinted at, you are planning on arriving unmarried and without a visa, because there's a good chance you won't be allowed to enter, and a further risk that as you planned to "arrive and adjust" you might be denied and deported.

So I for one tend to avoid "wasting my time" on questions from people who are hell-bent on creating problems for themselves and/or doing something illegal.

BTW there seem to be a disturbingly large number of US immigration lawyers whose bread and butter work appears to be encouraging people to do something which is in principle contrary to US immigration law, then charging fees to help people out of the hole created with assistance from the lawyer.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 31st 2017 at 9:56 pm.
Old May 31st 2017, 9:54 pm
Ordinary Aspie

Well, he is my partner right now, not my husband... I'm from the UK, I don't know how you use the word "partner" in the US. But in the future he will be my husband. Just a bit scary to explain my plan when people are jumping on my back as if I know nothing and they're the visa professionals
Old May 31st 2017, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he is my partner right now, not my husband... I'm from the UK, I don't know how you use the word "partner" in the US. But in the future he will be my husband. Just a bit scary to explain my plan when people are jumping on my back as if I know nothing and they're the visa professionals
Couple reasons:
  • There are countless threads of people coming on BE with hopes of moving with no realistic chance.
  • No one here is a mind reader.

It's best to be up front and very verbose in each thread asking for advice.

I dare say that being able to state that you've graduated high school would look better on a resume than a GED.
Old May 31st 2017, 9:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

No-one has "jumped on your back." People have tried to obtain clarification on your situation to ensure that you don't do something unfortunate that will jeopardize your future in the US, but you keep behaving as if your plan is a state secret (which doesn't offer much comfort that you aren't planning to do something not entirely kosher) and sticking your tongue out at people like a child.
Old May 31st 2017, 9:59 pm
Ordinary Aspie

Originally Posted by tom169
I dare say that being able to state that you've graduated high school would look better on a resume than a GED.
Hmm... Is a GED off-putting to a potential employer? I hoped it was basically the same as graduating high school.
Old May 31st 2017, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... Is a GED off-putting to a potential employer? I hoped it was basically the same as graduating high school.
Termed as a "good enough diploma", in my opinion, it is't on the same academic level as graduating high school.
Old May 31st 2017, 10:03 pm
Ordinary Aspie

Originally Posted by tom169
Termed as a "good enough diploma", in my opinion, it is't on the same academic level as graduating high school.
Oh darn. Thanks for telling me. Is a GED my only option for obtaining basic qualifications in the US?
Old May 31st 2017, 10:04 pm
Ordinary Aspie

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
No-one has "jumped on your back." People have tried to obtain clarification on your situation to ensure that you don't do something unfortunate that will jeopardize your future in the US, but you keep behaving as if your plan is a state secret (which doesn't offer much comfort that you aren't planning to do something not entirely kosher) and sticking your tongue out at people like a child.
I reported you for being so rude when I only signed up today and just wanted advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.