Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will my GCSEs be recognised in the US?

Will my GCSEs be recognised in the US?

Old May 31st 2017, 8:01 pm
Ordinary Aspie

passthekimchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will my GCSEs be recognised in the US?

Long story short I am planning to move to WA to be with my partner (he's 25, I'm 24). He was born there and can support me fully, but at some point I would like to work there myself.

In September this year I will be taking 5 GCSEs in the UK - English, maths, biology, chemistry, and physics. (I applied for these GCSEs because my partner suggested it would make it easier for me to get a job in the US if I passed them.)

But now I'm just wondering if most jobs (i.e. McDonald's, Walmart, simple jobs like that) will even recognise my GCSEs as qualifications... Plus, I am delaying my move to the US in order to be able to take these GCSEs. Any advice? Anyone been in the same situation?
Old May 31st 2017, 8:16 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my GCSEs be recognised in the US?

No one will know what a GCSE is.
You can pay to get them evaluated, but I am not sure what the equivalency to a HS graduation would be. The cost probably wouldnt be worth it. Just say you graduated High School on application forms.
Doing a GED might be worth it, its like a HS graduation equivalent for those out of school. I'd skip the GCSEs and do a GED in the States.
Old May 31st 2017, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by passthekimchi View Post
Long story short I am planning to move to WA to be with my partner (he's 25, I'm 24). He was born there and can support me fully, but at some point I would like to work there myself.

In September this year I will be taking 5 GCSEs in the UK - English, maths, biology, chemistry, and physics. (I applied for these GCSEs because my partner suggested it would make it easier for me to get a job in the US if I passed them.)

But now I'm just wondering if most jobs (i.e. McDonald's, Walmart, simple jobs like that) will even recognise my GCSEs as qualifications... Plus, I am delaying my move to the US in order to be able to take these GCSEs. Any advice? Anyone been in the same situation?
On what basis are you planning to move? You cannot just "up and go". You need a visa and you provide nothing to suggest that you have any basis on which you might get one, unless you plan to marry.

The GCSEs are likely to be worthless for you, but they are the least of your problems at this point.
Old May 31st 2017, 8:33 pm
Ordinary Aspie

I know I can't just simply move over there. I know what I need to do, I've been planning for 3 years. The last part of the plan is looking at my options to get a job over there. Thanks for the help kimilseung. So I would take my GCSEs as usual, then just say I graduated high school on my job applications? And that wouldn't land me in any hot water?
Old May 31st 2017, 8:36 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. I am afraid that just a high school education, by whatever name, is not going to cut it. As an employer, would you spend a few thousand dollars to bring in a person with no specific skills and higher education qualifications? Here are the ways you can move to the US:

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old May 31st 2017, 8:39 pm
Ordinary Aspie

To be clear, I would not be immigrating on the basis of working in the US. I am moving to be with my partner. I only want to know if I would eventually be able to get a job on the basis of my GCSEs.
Old May 31st 2017, 8:39 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I know I can't just simply move over there. I know what I need to do, I've been planning for 3 years. The last part of the plan is looking at my options to get a job over there. Thanks for the help kimilseung. So I would take my GCSEs as usual, then just say I graduated high school on my job applications? And that wouldn't land me in any hot water?
There is no direct UK equivalent to US HS graduation (Though I have heard 5 GCSEs suggested), if you went to school and survived to leave school, I'd say I graduated on any forms. (Unless you are applying for funding for non HS graduates, in which case I would definitely say I did not graduate.) Answer the question to suit your goals - neither is a lie, just interpretations.

If you can get your money back for the GCSEs I would and move over earlier.

Sign up to do a GED when you get here, though I think you have to be a resident to do so in WA, so wait for that status.

It might be useful to let everyone know the status that you are moving over with, then no one needs to worry about that on your behalf and they can devout their attention to answering your questions directly.
Old May 31st 2017, 8:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

To be clear, I would not be immigrating on the basis of working in the US. I am moving to be with my partner. I only want to know if I would eventually be able to get a job on the basis of my GCSEs.

So you are getting married? Again, as others have said, you can't just "move," there has to be some basis for a visa.
Old May 31st 2017, 8:46 pm
Ordinary Aspie

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
There is no direct UK equivalent to US HS graduation (Though I have heard 5 GCSEs suggested), if you went to school and survived to leave school, I'd say I graduated on any forms. (Unless you are applying for funding for non HS graduates, in which case I would definitely say I did not graduate.) Answer the question to suit your goals - neither is a lie, just interpretations.

If you can get your money back for the GCSEs I would and move over earlier.

Sign up to do a GED when you get here, though I think you have to be a resident to do so in WA, so wait for that status.

It might be useful to let everyone know the status that you are moving over with, then no one needs to worry about that on your behalf and they can devout their attention to answering your questions directly.
Ah, very helpful. I haven't paid for the GCSEs yet. If I was to take them, it would be from September to July, so a lot of potential "moving time" would be lost. I would rather not take them if I don't have to.

I suppose now then, I'm looking at moving over first, then adjusting my status, and then doing a GED. Can I do a GED at a community college? Any ideas how much it costs and how long it takes, etc?
Old May 31st 2017, 8:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You will be moving on a K1 visa, that will give you 90 days to get married in the US, you then have to adjust status, you will have to get the visa before you move, or you can marry in the UK and then move on a marriage visa, however there is NO visa to allow you to move and just live together, the US doesn't do that, and there is no way of just moving to the US, a visa is needed to go and live in the US.
Old May 31st 2017, 8:48 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Ah, very helpful. I haven't paid for the GCSEs yet. If I was to take them, it would be from September to July, so a lot of potential "moving time" would be lost. I would rather not take them if I don't have to.

I suppose now then, I'm looking at moving over first, then adjusting my status, and then doing a GED. Can I do a GED at a community college? Any ideas how much it costs and how long it takes, etc?
You aren't listening -- that is not how it works! You don't just move over, you need a visa first!
Old May 31st 2017, 8:49 pm
Ordinary Aspie

To clarify, I don't need any visa advice. That part is all taken care of. I just need job advice.
Old May 31st 2017, 8:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

To clarify, I don't need any visa advice. That part is all taken care of. I just need job advice.
We would all be interested to know just how it is "taken care of," when you have indicated in prior posts that you don't understand the system.
Old May 31st 2017, 8:57 pm
Ordinary Aspie

To be clear, I do understand the system and have been researching the best visa to apply for for 3 years. But I am not here to ask or answer questions about my visa... I only require job advice and don't want to waste people's time on something I already understand myself. I don't understand the need for being rude to me when I am just looking for advice. Thank you all for your help so far anyway, I appreciate it as I couldn't find this kind of specific help anywhere else.
Old May 31st 2017, 9:01 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

To be clear, I do understand the system and have been researching the best visa to apply for for 3 years. But I am not here to ask or answer questions about my visa... I only require job advice and don't want to waste people's time on something I already understand myself. I don't understand the need for being rude to me when I am just looking for advice. Thank you all for your help so far anyway, I appreciate it as I couldn't find this kind of specific help anywhere else.
I suspect the problem is with your first post which, had you said I'm moving wit an XYZ visa' would have meant that people realised you had it all sorted. Most people coming on here have no idea what visa to go for, or even that a visa is required apart from the WVP which allows 90 days in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.