Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will it ever end? *Vent*

Will it ever end? *Vent*

Old Feb 1st 2006, 11:24 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will it ever end? *Vent*

Originally Posted by Eskimo
why don't you go to church with them instead ?
i'm jewish
Old Feb 1st 2006, 11:28 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol sounds like you are a good candidate for 'billy no friends'..lol and welcome
So are you going to start the thread?
I had never heard the saying until today.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by woodsey
Yes I've been given an opportunity to do other things which is fabulous and maybe I'm being a tad unfair but having seen things from a different perspective I'm just glad I got out..
EXACTLY!

That is why I think taking a gap year like so many European kids do, and going to work/play in other countries is to be highly encouraged.
It broadens the mind.

You'll find when you go back after an extended period of time, you don't have much in common with most of the folk, unless they've lived outside the country too. You find that with most Americans who have lived outside the States (and I don't mean living for 2 years on Okinawa or in Germany), that their outlook is very different from the rest of the folk who have not.

Basically, all expats go through it if they've lived away for a few years.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
i'm jewish
synagogue ?
Old Feb 1st 2006, 11:39 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

synagogue ?
Actually i'm not (though my nose is bigger than average), but you put me under pressure with the church thing to come up with a witty reply and that was the best i could do
Old Feb 1st 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Right now i'd rather chew my own arm off than go to the boozer with most of the people i've met over here
LOL! I agree to a certain extent, some of the ones I've met are a bit strange to say the least, we've also been very lucky and have been introduced to some wonderful people through a friend back in England that comes out to LA a fair bit on business but the ones I go out with quite alot (from moms club :scared: ) whilst initially I was agast with their strange scrapbooking ways I've come to accept that we're just different, they put up with me and my foul mouth and I put up with their talk of church and Jesus Christ, but we still have a laugh and talk about how big our husbands willy's are..
Old Feb 1st 2006, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

but we still have a laugh and talk about how big our husbands willy's are..
****ing massive I heard
Old Feb 1st 2006, 11:56 pm
Thinking about it

****ing massive I heard
Err, sorry to interrupt
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 1:39 am
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Err, sorry to interrupt
Bible Bashers was the phrase we used hahahaha.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 2:19 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I've come to the conclusion that if people enjoy themselves in the boozer in the company of their mates then there is nothing wrong with that. Some people find familiarity extremely comforting and may be afraid to take on something like a move to another country. As far as I'm concerned there's nowt wrong with that, or doing the 'same boring things' they did 15 years ago if it makes them happy - after all being happy is what counts most of all imo
Exactamundo!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 2:20 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

People don't need to move to the other side of the world to get out more and I agree whatever makes you happy but by sitting in the pub all weekend they're missing out on other opportunities and other things that could make them just as 'happy'..Yes I've been given an opportunity to do other things which is fabulous and maybe I'm being a tad unfair but having seen things from a different perspective I'm just glad I got out..
I think it's weird that you know people that spend all their time in the pub, as I've never met one!!! Did you live in Albert Square or Coronation Street?!?!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 2:23 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by izibear
EXACTLY!

That is why I think taking a gap year like so many European kids do, and going to work/play in other countries is to be highly encouraged.
It broadens the mind.

You'll find when you go back after an extended period of time, you don't have much in common with most of the folk, unless they've lived outside the country too. You find that with most Americans who have lived outside the States (and I don't mean living for 2 years on Okinawa or in Germany), that their outlook is very different from the rest of the folk who have not.

Basically, all expats go through it if they've lived away for a few years.
Knowledge is power!!! I think it's a must to go travelling the world! Most people here don't even own a passport!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 2:25 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Partystar
Knowledge is power!!! I think it's a must to go travelling the world! Most people here don't even own a passport!
Stream of consciousness ALERT
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 2:33 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's weird that you know people that spend all their time in the pub, as I've never met one!!! Did you live in Albert Square or Coronation Street?!?!
Are you serious?? Did you ever live in the U.K?? I've not lived there since becoming a parent but before that i knew of tons of people that lived for the pub....my god..I'm actually not sure if some of them ever left but had an arrangement with the Landlord and bloody slept there!

it can be fun...I miss going out like that...heading off out, starting at the pub at the bottom of town and making your way up..knowing almost everybody in there.....it can be great ...admittedly not a way to live...
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 2:42 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

well don't knock it hon..I haven't travelled since arriving in the States and it's not because I don't want to...it's bloody expensive

..fact is fact...you can hop to Europe very cheaply from the U.K , my girlfriend who is NOT well off does it...here it's a different story.....I went all over Europe before meeting my husband..damn I met him in Germany...before that countless school trips to Europe while in High School......it's a price thing..it just doesn't compare...

I think you are just very homesick right now ..and I really do feel for you...I've been in the States almost 10 years and I've been through what you are going through a bunch of times.....it will pass...you've got to let yourself enjoy your experience here...the worst thing would be to look back 10/ 20 years from now when the kids are all grown and realise that you were making yourself miserable....it's the only thought that would make me pick my socks up and force myself to cheer up......look on the bright side you are going to a friends wedding soon..one year I was invited to 4 and never got to go to one...of course my best mate isn't married yet..I'd have to sell the hubby to make it to that wedding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.