Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will it ever end? *Vent*

Will it ever end? *Vent*

Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will it ever end? *Vent*

Ok ..its only gonna be 70f ... but who fancies a frolic, with swearing and a moaning contest in the pool this afternoon...
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:53 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Every email or letter from home says 'have you made loads of new friends yet?' the presumption that you can make friends that quick, think how long it took to make your good ones. I totally understand the sentiments here. maybe its bloody Karma I have loads of friends back home and sometimes felt like keeping up with phone calls birthdays etc was hard work.
Life is a lesson learned
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:57 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Your not alone Partystar. Gave up trying to look for some sort of friend long ago, so now I'm a sad case of Billy no mates I've only got 1 more year left to do, so thats now a piece of piss being as I've done 3 already. Chin up girl your get though it
The sad bit is, I have loads of friends, but it’s a case of, I prefer quality, not quantity. I’d much rather have a few great friends, than loads of mediocre ones. I’ve clicked with a few over here, but then they do something to piss me off & then I just can’t be bothered with them anymore. I guess I just have a very high standard when it comes to friends.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:58 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Chin up PS.
At least you have a big f**k-off house and it rains less in AZ
I actually live in a 2 bedroom rented apartment (can't afford a house!), but yes, the weather is nice!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:02 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hmmm yep know where you are coming from....how much longer will you be here? i think one always wonders when we move home whether friends will keep in touch and for me my bestest uk friends constantly post me little fridge magnets and key ring tags coz i've always been there for them and they know how unhappy i am...at least you have a couple of brit mates you mentioned who you get together with....sadly i have non...so cheer up and just take each day at a time
We live here now, although I told hubby I don't think I can live here much longer, but I promised I'd give it a few years before I made up my mind permanently. I am in frequent contact with about 7 great friends back home in England, I know they'll always keep in touch as we have superb friendships.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:03 pm
Back where I belong!

Have you considered physical violence as a venting option ??
Yeah, but my hubby's work colleagues have started noticing the bruises!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:09 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by nethead
Tell you what, those playgroups are the same in the UK. They are not the best place to meet like minded people unless you're very very straight (not the sexuality type straight) and like talking about babies/kids constantly and are very comepetitive with regards the their milestones/acheivements.

Don't have any suggestion or advice, I feel the same as you most days, and I still haven't met any Brits. Sorry.

Annette
God yeah! They are always going on about how their kid is so far advanced for his age blah blah blah. A few of them were trying to console me about my son not walking until he was past 1, I told them I don't encourage him, because he'll do it in his own time, they couldn't seem to comprehend that!

I've also noticed that they take their kids to the doctor for everything, even a flippin' cold! I mean come on, how do they expect them to build up their immunity if they don't fight something off without meds every now & then?!?! They're so OTT about everything, it drives me crazy!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:10 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Partystar
I’ve clicked with a few over here, but then they do something to piss me off & then I just can’t be bothered with them anymore.
Exactly
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:11 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I'll tell you what did it for me, thought it probably sounds pathetic.
Last summer a new family moved into the street and I was the first person to say hi to them, and my daughter was the same age as their daughter so they hit it off straight away. They play with each other all the time. Well, me being me, I see them most days and we chat, but take my time getting to know them. Meanwhile everyone else on street has become instant best buddies with them in that irritating superficial way, so suddenly I'm starting to lose ground in the friends stakes. Christmas arrives and I hear from my one good friend I have that this new family are having a Christmas Eve party and inviting everyone they know. My friend had met them barely twice and got an invite, so we were expecting one too. But guess who didn't get invited? Yep, that's right, billy no mates here. WTF?? Suddenly we're not good enough for them. Made me realise I'm never going to fully fit in around here.
Now that's f**ked up!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:12 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Ray
Ok ..its only gonna be 70f ... but who fancies a frolic, with swearing and a moaning contest in the pool this afternoon...
ooo ooo ooo, me me me!!!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:13 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Every email or letter from home says 'have you made loads of new friends yet?' the presumption that you can make friends that quick, think how long it took to make your good ones. I totally understand the sentiments here. maybe its bloody Karma I have loads of friends back home and sometimes felt like keeping up with phone calls birthdays etc was hard work.
Life is a lesson learned
I hear ya there! I cut a few 'part time' friends off back home, cuz I didn't have enough time to get around them & my great friends too!!!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:15 pm
Back where I belong!

Karma coming around for everyone is a few minutes!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:20 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Partystar
Now that's f**ked up!

If you can't kiss ass, you don't belong! I quit my last job partially because I couldnt stand anyone there. Too many shallow, ignorant, selfish people around here.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - I'm on my tod up here too and I have now lost all interest in trying to talk to any yanks. .....................

I have come to one very simple conclusion - many americans would rather you lied to them 'nicely' than stated facts or opinions to them in a straightforward manner.

Why bother.

So true - my feelings exactly.

I recently went back home for just a few days, but I managed to pack more social interaction, cultural events and buddy-time into those days than I'm ever likely to get here in a year. Bloody depressing.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

brittothecore will become famous soon enoughbrittothecore will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Will it ever end? *Vent*

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I'll tell you what did it for me, thought it probably sounds pathetic.
Last summer a new family moved into the street and I was the first person to say hi to them, and my daughter was the same age as their daughter so they hit it off straight away. They play with each other all the time. Well, me being me, I see them most days and we chat, but take my time getting to know them. Meanwhile everyone else on street has become instant best buddies with them in that irritating superficial way, so suddenly I'm starting to lose ground in the friends stakes. Christmas arrives and I hear from my one good friend I have that this new family are having a Christmas Eve party and inviting everyone they know. My friend had met them barely twice and got an invite, so we were expecting one too. But guess who didn't get invited? Yep, that's right, billy no mates here. WTF?? Suddenly we're not good enough for them. Made me realise I'm never going to fully fit in around here.
this is for ladyofthelake I am new to the message boards I was laughing like hell at the post re billy no mate but know how you feel I am also in Florida been here for 16 years and up to now only have one real good friend but still not anything like friends back home Iv given up on this place I hate it so I am going home with my twins hopefully in March and I cant wait to get piss rotten drunk with my mates and no one giving me that look you know what I mean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.