Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

will the american embassy help me get home from failed marriage in the uk

will the american embassy help me get home from failed marriage in the uk

Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:30 am
Just Joined

RANDYSWAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy will the american embassy help me get home from failed marriage in the uk

I'm an American citizen married and living with a British citizen in the Uk.
My marriage has sadly failed, and i just want to go back home now.
My husband doesn't have the money to pay for my kids and i to fly home as he is now unemployed and losing our home too. His family won't let us live with them, only him, and i only have a settlement visa with no recourse to public funds!
In america i have family willing to take us in and help us resettle again there. Can anyone Please tell me if the U.S. Embassy in London can help me get home, and who to contact for help??
im so sorry and thank you to all whom replyed but my kids are not my current husbands children, they are from my previous marriage. im just desperate to return back to the usa.

Last edited by RANDYSWAY; Jan 26th 2009 at 1:21 am. Reason: didnt give enough information
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:38 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: will the american embassy help me get home from failed marriage in the uk

First, you'll have more luck if you try to the US expats in the UK messageboard. Several of them have been there done that.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/

In the past there was some program for aiding the destitute, but it was subject to abuse and I'm not sure if it still exists. They say they can help arrange for a relative to wire you funds, which I'm assuming is not really an option (or you would have done so already). Another option is for a relative in the US to get a credit card and then purchase a ticket on your behalf and then you pay them back.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: will the american embassy help me get home from failed marriage in the uk

Originally Posted by RANDYSWAY
i just want to go back home now...
doesn't have the money to pay for my kids
Kids are going to be an issue... your husband will have to agree to allow you to take them with you if you choose to do so.

If you go to the US with them without permission, it can be considered kidnapping.

Of immigration concern, you'll need to make sure the US Embassy issues them a "Consular Report of Birth Abroad" if they were born in the UK, and then of course get a US passport for them (if you haven't done so already).
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:19 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Kids are going to be an issue... your husband will have to agree to allow you to take them with you if you choose to do so.

If you go to the US with them without permission, it can be considered kidnapping.

Of immigration concern, you'll need to make sure the US Embassy issues them a "Consular Report of Birth Abroad" if they were born in the UK, and then of course get a US passport for them (if you haven't done so already).
Good point, but I read it as they were "her" children, not her children with him. Important distinction.

The OP has now edited her original post to indicate this.

~SecretGarden

Last edited by SecretGarden; Jan 26th 2009 at 1:28 am. Reason: OP edited, so I did too!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:46 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I would suggest talking to an attorney about your divorce. While your husband may be broke, you have some rights to some funds or at least a judgment against him in the future. Do not abandon your rights to future earnings simply because there are none now.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Good point, but I read it as they were "her" children, not her children with him. Important distinction.

~SecretGarden
Ah, yes, made an assumption.

I assume then that the kids were born in the US? And already have a US passport? Basically ok on that front then.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In america i have family willing to take us in and help us resettle again there.
As someone else suggested, my idea would be to have the helpful family in the USA buy your tickets.

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden

~SecretGarden
It's still not clear what nationality the father is...if he's British she may still have a problem...if he's American obviously there isn't one.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's still not clear what nationality the father is...if he's British she may still have a problem...if he's American obviously there isn't one.

Yes, there might be even if he is American. If he is domiciled in the UK, he might not want his children to be removed from the UK and returned to the US. Still a letter of permission would be required.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

but my kids are not my current husbands children, they are from my previous marriage. im just desperate to return back to the usa.
So long as the kids are US citizens your are good to go, unless their father (ex partner) in also in UK and doesn't want them to leave.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, there might be even if he is American. If he is domiciled in the UK, he might not want his children to be removed from the UK and returned to the US. Still a letter of permission would be required.
True...I'd not thought of that scenario.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:31 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
True...I'd not thought of that scenario.
It's worse than that. Even if he is not the biological father, If he's accepted status as father to the kids, then he has certain rights, which must be addressed.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:57 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

I'd be amazed if there is no UK equivalent of affidavit of support...........