Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another D/L question..

Another D/L question..

Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another D/L question..

So my sister got her US citizenship and is now living back in Aus for a while. Her CA drivers license renewal arrived in the mail to me. Says she has to notify re address change - question is, I know you have to be CA resident to get the license, but can you keep it if you live out of state/country? ie. can she fill out the form that she has an Aus address and still renew the license? Or change it to my PA address and keep it?

Possibly a dumb question, but I'm sure there's no point calling the DMV numpties and asking them!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another D/L question..

Originally Posted by augigi
So my sister got her US citizenship and is now living back in Aus for a while. Her CA drivers license renewal arrived in the mail to me. Says she has to notify re address change - question is, I know you have to be CA resident to get the license, but can you keep it if you live out of state/country? ie. can she fill out the form that she has an Aus address and still renew the license? Or change it to my PA address and keep it?

Possibly a dumb question, but I'm sure there's no point calling the DMV numpties and asking them!
Don't you have to renew it in person? How can they renew the license if she's not there to be photographed? In NJ there are a specific number of documents you have to provide to prove your ID...the DMV have really tightened up on security since 9/11.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I renew mine by mail each time. If she wants to just renew and use your address this time how would they know she isn't here still.
It would at least give her time to know if she's staying in Aus permanently, then she could not renew it again one the next round.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't you have to renew it in person? How can they renew the license if she's not there to be photographed? In NJ there are a specific number of documents you have to provide to prove your ID...the DMV have really tightened up on security since 9/11.
California allows you to renew by mail or internet if you meet certain requirements:

You may be eligible to renew your license by mail if you can answer No to all of the following questions:

* Does your driver license expire more than 60 days from today’s date?
* Will you be 70 years of age or older when your current driver license expires?
* Are you currently on any type of driving probation or suspension?
* Did you violate a written promise to appear in court within the last two years?
* Have you already received two consecutive five year extensions by mail?
* Do you have a driver license from more than one state or jurisdiction?
You may be eligible to renew your license by Internet if you receive a Renewal By Mail (RBM) Notice with a Renewal Identification Number (RIN), and:

* Have access to the Internet
* Not have a change of address or change of personal description
* Have a verified Social Security Number (SSN) on DMV’s record (since October 2000, DMV verifies SSNs with the Social Security Administration)
* Have a valid credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express or Discover)
The requirement to be able to answer "No" to the question:
"Do you have a driver license from more than one state or jurisdiction?"
would probably preclude the OP's sister from doing this unless her CA license is the only one that she has,
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

No, it says she can only renew online if she hasnt changed address. She doesn't have any other D/L's.