Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

'Why' in a very fine nutshell is US immigration via employment so strict?

'Why' in a very fine nutshell is US immigration via employment so strict?

Old Jun 30th 2017, 4:35 pm
Banned

AndrePettersson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Why' in a very fine nutshell is US immigration via employment so strict?

Although I don't actually expect them to hand out Green Cards like M&M's, 'why' have they created such a tight, tough, rigid, complex, difficult and inflexible system, that unless you fall into a few specific narrow categories, it is impossible to get in there to live and work etc?

It is also equally the same for a U.S. Citizen wanting to live and work in the UK / EU. Impossible except for a few tightly defined categories.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 4:44 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Why' in a very fine nutshell is US immigration via employment so strict?

It is protecting jobs, and pay, for American workers, against giving them to non Americans who might accept lower pay.

Why should we not put our own citizens first when a job with a family wage is available?
Old Jun 30th 2017, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Why' in a very fine nutshell is US immigration via employment so strict?

Protectionism.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndrePettersson
Although I don't actually expect them to hand out Green Cards like M&M's, 'why' have they created such a tight, tough, rigid, complex, difficult and inflexible system, that unless you fall into a few specific narrow categories, it is impossible to get in there to live and work etc?

It is also equally the same for a U.S. Citizen wanting to live and work in the UK / EU. Impossible except for a few tightly defined categories.
They are sovereign country, so they can make any rule they like.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

I am very happy to say that I have finally let go of that obsession and fully come to full terms with being happy and content to having the whole of Europe as my playground instead to legally live and work in.

When I also think entirely logically about it here, I would also not get a better role in HR or any other job over in the USA which I already have in The Netherlands, and there is also nothing specifically absent in the field of goods, services, products or other things that I cannot find here in the shops or in the whole of the European Union instead. I simply don't need to live and work outside of my own continent.

Why waste and sacrifice up to 20 years of your life trying to get a Green Card, when I can carve out just as good and successful (and perhaps even far better) career on this side of the Atlantic instead, which I have done, and where I can legally live and work with no restrictions. This is opposed to trying to imagine being happy elsewhere where I am not allowed to live and work.

In addition, with my six weeks annual leave, I can visit the country and travel when I like.
Does not look like your over it.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 5:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
It is protecting jobs, and pay, for American workers, against giving them to non Americans who might accept lower pay.

Why should we not put our own citizens first when a job with a family wage is available?

And to Mr Pettersson's point, it is actually fairly easy (it may take some time, and documentation, but in principal it is straight forward) to get a work visa IF you are a valuable economic commodity who will be an asset to Uncle Sam (O-1, EB-1), or you are a businessman or entrepreneur who will invest capital, create jobs, and stimulate economic activity (E-1, E-2, EB-5, perhaps L-1A for a new branch).
Old Jun 30th 2017, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can tell the UK is leaving the EU precisely because of loose immigration policies. 6,000,000 extra people in the UK in 10 years seems like an awful lot of immigration. The increased housing demand in the UK appears to be the primary result. I used to live in England and remember how crowded it felt 15 years ago.

Similar things are happening in big cities in the USA, lots of internal migrants to Californian cities. The Los Angeles population has exploded - that has led to really expensive housing, homelessness is way up and the freeways are parking lots.

I guess that is why we have strict immigration polices?
Old Jun 30th 2017, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

To prevent this from happening:

Old Jun 30th 2017, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you still care?

I am very happy to say that I have finally let go of that obsession...
Apparently, you either haven't let go - or you're lying. Are you lying now or were you lying then?

Ian
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Globalism is the buzzword among young people nowadays. They don't believe in borders, hence the big backlash against a burger company in the UK about a year ago when they called a bunch of illegal workers to a meeting, to be met by the UK Border Force. Idiots with placards stood outside the restaurant, but I bet they wouldn't have employed those illegals themselves with a £20K fine per worker. They don't realise that if we did away with borders, the world would quickly go tits up.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 4:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I disagree with the premise, which other country has the DV?
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Because, if it was relaxed, everyone and their cousin would try to migrate. There is not enough employment for US Citizens now, let alone everyone who isn't, but wants to come.

Whether our politicians like it or not the first duty of any government is to look after its own citizens. "America First" resonates because it's how it should be. How long would Chancellor Merkel last if she didn't put Germany's interests before those of other countries?
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 2:42 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no experience of applying for a work visa here but from what I've seen on this and other forums it's actually quite easy for the right people. Seeing the L-type applicants posting here, it seems that once the company has determined that you are the right fit for the office in the USA it's not much more than a few forms and a brief interview. And it is remarkably quick too.
I came here on a spousal visa which granted permanent residency immediately and the option to become a citizen three years later. Considering the privilege (and immigration is a privilege) has been bestowed upon me I'm surprised at how easy it was. A few forms asking very basic general questions, a general health check and a brief chat at the embassy. I spent longer at the car dealership getting my new car a few months ago than I spent at the embassy being "interviewed" for an immigrant visa.

I find US immigration is very much an "all or nothing" situation. For those with a viable path to immigration (spouses, qualifying employees, family members) it's a very simple process. For the rest it's impossible. People say "the USA is one of the hardest countries to migrate to" but that depends on who you are. For me it was the easiest place to get an immigrant visa. I imagine if I wanted to emigrate to Australia or New Zealand I'd be in the same position as the OP is with the USA - standing in front of a closed door.

For the right people in the right circumstances it's a walk in the park. It's not immigration that's difficult, it's being eligible for it that is.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 2:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
.... It's not immigration that's difficult, it's being eligible for it that is.
Bingo!
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I have no experience of applying for a work visa here but from what I've seen on this and other forums it's actually quite easy for the right people. Seeing the L-type applicants posting here, it seems that once the company has determined that you are the right fit for the office in the USA it's not much more than a few forms and a brief interview. And it is remarkably quick too.
I came here on a spousal visa which granted permanent residency immediately and the option to become a citizen three years later. Considering the privilege (and immigration is a privilege) has been bestowed upon me I'm surprised at how easy it was. A few forms asking very basic general questions, a general health check and a brief chat at the embassy. I spent longer at the car dealership getting my new car a few months ago than I spent at the embassy being "interviewed" for an immigrant visa.

I find US immigration is very much an "all or nothing" situation. For those with a viable path to immigration (spouses, qualifying employees, family members) it's a very simple process. For the rest it's impossible. People say "the USA is one of the hardest countries to migrate to" but that depends on who you are. For me it was the easiest place to get an immigrant visa. I imagine if I wanted to emigrate to Australia or New Zealand I'd be in the same position as the OP is with the USA - standing in front of a closed door.

For the right people in the right circumstances it's a walk in the park. It's not immigration that's difficult, it's being eligible for it that is.
Well there's his answer. Marry a US citizen.
Seems to be general way for most here on BE USA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.