Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it good that I learned to finally let go of my US immigration dream?

Old Jun 30th 2017, 8:36 am
Banned

AndrePettersson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it good that I learned to finally let go of my US immigration dream?

I am very happy to say that I have finally let go of that obsession and fully come to full terms with being happy and content to having the whole of Europe as my playground instead to legally live and work in.

When I also think entirely logically about it here, I would also not get a better role in HR or any other job over in the USA which I already have in The Netherlands, and there is also nothing specifically absent in the field of goods, services, products or other things that I cannot find here in the shops or in the whole of the European Union instead. I simply don't need to live and work outside of my own continent.

There is also absolutely nothing wrong with spending a lifetime living and working in Europe, and I also actually thank God that I had the fortune to be born a dual UK / Danish and by extension an EU Citizen.

From ski resorts, mountains, coastlines, beaches, river valleys, wine growing areas, historic towns, castles, cathedrals, areas of outstanding natural beauty, national parks, large modern cities, we have it all here in Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Liechtenstein, France, Monaco, Spain, Andorra, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Austria, Portugal, Greece, UK, Ireland, Sweden, Finland, Malta, Cyprus etc etc etc.

Most importantly however, the standard of living is exactly the same or even higher, so there is no real gain for me at all to leave Western Europe for an English speaking country. I get a far better package and deal here as an EU Citizen than the USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand offer.

Why waste and sacrifice up to 20 years of your life trying to get a Green Card, when I can carve out just as good and successful (and perhaps even far better) career on this side of the Atlantic instead, which I have done, and where I can legally live and work with no restrictions. This is opposed to trying to imagine being happy elsewhere where I am not allowed to live and work.

In addition, with my six weeks annual leave, I can visit the country and travel when I like.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 9:08 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it good that I learned to finally let go of my US immigration dream?

In your case, yes.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Jack92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it good that I learned to finally let go of my US immigration dream?

I'm curious how you're going to go about looking for work all over Europe, I'm from UK and want to relocate for a new experience, however a few things put me off, such as language barriers and actually, simply finding work
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why you somewhat seek approval from BE.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Unemployment rate in some of the EU countries makes my eyes water as well!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndrePettersson
I am very happy to say that I have finally let go of that obsession and fully come to full terms with being happy and content to having the whole of Europe as my playground instead to legally live and work in.
Good for you!

Why waste and sacrifice up to 20 years of your life trying to get a Green Card, when I can carve out just as good and successful (and perhaps even far better) career on this side of the Atlantic instead, which I have done, and where I can legally live and work with no restrictions.
I agree - it was a stupid idea from the start!

Ian
Old Jun 30th 2017, 1:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack92
I'm curious how you're going to go about looking for work all over Europe, I'm from UK and want to relocate for a new experience, however a few things put me off, such as language barriers and actually, simply finding work
work for a multinational company, take language lessons and keep telling people you'd like a job in x country.
Better get a move on though because a load of total tossers in the UK seem hell bent on making sure that opportunities like this for Brits are going to disappear.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 2:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is wise that you have accepted that emigrating to the US will be a long and probably hard fought war that you might well lose and that you find satisfaction in your present day life.

However, never give up the dream. Look for avenues that might one day lead you to the correct path to fulfilling the dream. It could be further education, a change in career, employment in a multi-national company with offices in the US or even romance. Lots of Americans visit Amsterdam and you just might meet one some day.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am very happy to say that I have finally let go of that obsession and fully come to full terms with being happy and content...
I'm in the same boat except I'm giving up on the dream of marrying a supermodel.

Oh well, at least I'm on the road to US citizenship
Old Jul 1st 2017, 4:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dek
I'm in the same boat except I'm giving up on the dream of marrying a supermodel.
Never give up your dream.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I am very happy to say that I have finally let go of that obsession.
Have you?

All the different threads you've opened on the subject just this morning alone, seem to indicate otherwise.

How about this:

Stay in the States for as long as you wish
Come as often as you want
Only do it via BE, not BA

No visa required
Old Jul 1st 2017, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you go on posting about it here ...