Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why did you decide to live in America?

Why did you decide to live in America?

Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:55 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why did you decide to live in America?

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Car pool lanes!!!

Overtaking on both sides. Took awhile to get used to but now I love it.
....................Having a child that loves sushi and always wants to eat at Souplantation, "because the salad selection is so good!"
Someone who has clicked with the US.........congrats.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
It gets even better:

"New York is such a convenient city — everything is a five-minute walk or a 15-minute taxi ride away. And far cheaper than London. Ready-cooked meals arrive in five minutes; dry-cleaners collect and deliver your clothes the same day. Hairdressers come to your house. Computer technicians swing by to fix your e-mail. The pharmacies deliver cough drops for my children; and my new best friend Charles, the chief sales assistant at Ralph Lauren, sometimes drops off sale-reduced sweaters for me to try on at home if he thinks that I’m too busy to visit the store, which is all of two blocks away."

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...07&postcount=1

i like ur best friend, he might like me. I like sweaters.... need i say more?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

ScottishGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
sorry I didn't mean to make you homesick!

I knew you would have a 'problem' with my post
The OP was wanting a positive thread about what we like here as there have been many negative ones. You know when a negative one comes up I can moan with the best of them
But to pick up on some points I know you are from a posh happening place in the UK

I'm not and unless you live in downtown Glasgow, you do get shops shut early, horrible steaks (unless you pay the earth) You have obviously not been in Glasgow for a long time most malls are open till 10pm and there is the biggest Tesco in Europe built which is open 24 hours, parking bays may not be as large as the majority of vehicles are not as big as American Vehicles, Steaks are lovely and its well known that our beef is the best as there is so much rain that it grows lovely grass this in turn the cow eats and nurishes them lovely. At Christmas time shops are open till midnight.

When we were last in the UK a year and a half ago the dodge caravan (chrysler I think) was way more expensive there, I loved it here and it was the same price as a good car. But my point was more I love the number of cupholders here as in the UK we never seemed to get cars with more than one. Most vehicles have many cup holders but not really a priority! Granted vehicles are more reasonably priced

When you go into Tesco car park you can't parallel park and the parking spaces are so narrow it's hard to open your door. it aint that bad there is enough space for 99% people to get out

I don't like curry (apart from tikka masala) sorry I love Mexican food you obviously havent tried the Pancho Villa in the Merchant City of Glasgow or the new mexican restaurant in XScape just delicious and I have been to Mexico!!!

Driving to Morton-in marsh to see my MIL and suddenly meeting a car on one of those narrow lanes and I have to back up to me does seem dangerous Driving on a summers day in my mini is just amazing on these roads. Freeways can be boring stretches of road with no scenery

Don't know how but maybe open plan and bigger homes here, I clean far more easily than my cramped 3 bed semi in Britain (strange but true) Granted on this one

And I hate hot weather and strangely enough have survived a lot better in 2 hot places and here cause of AC than in the UK. Though as I hate heat I'd say it was more like 3 months that was unbearable to me in the UK get a fan when in Glasgow for our two hot days a year!!!!

But everyones experience is different and I know there are quite a few hate it here and I understand but some of us do like it here as well.
To each their own
Im still looking to move to the states though
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Did you expect her to walk!

HAHA, I have not seen one of my neighbours walk to the mail box at the end of the drive!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loopylorns
HAHA, I have not seen one of my neighbours walk to the mail box at the end of the drive!
I actually have a neighbor who drives down for the mail. Now we do have long driveways, but still...
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Regret the things you do not those you dont.

This is my thinking

I love the bright blue sky and the shopping.

I do however regret comming here and am returning shortly but I know if we had not come here (hubbys job) we would have always wondered.

Life and oppertunities should be seized with open arms for you never know when they will end.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

This is my thinking

I do however regret comming here and am returning shortly but I know if we had not come here (hubbys job) we would have always wondered.

Life and oppertunities should be seized with open arms for you never know when they will end.
That's my thoughts exactly. Better to have lived and learned!!!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

This is my thinking

Gosh - haven't you only just got here? (You are the gal with the rental car problems, right?) What happened?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:12 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottishGirl
Im still looking to move to the states though
Welcome to the forum

I'm glad, but when you were replying to me did you not read the bit immediately before you were talking about Tesco in Glasgow that I said UNLESS you were living in Glasgow and I was talking about loads of shops not just Tesco (much as I luv it!)

And our local Tesco has very narrow parking places and sometimes can't get a parking place at all :curse:

Re mexican restaurant in Glasgow I did mention UNLESS living in Glasgow earlier in post and that I don't?

Living in big cities in the UK then coming to the US is different. I came from a town which have some great things that I miss but also doesn't have a lot of things as well.
So that may make it easier for me to love it over here with the choice of things etc as I can't get that at home.
Just a thought to one of the reasons I may like it here

BTW when and where are you planning to come here, hope it goes smoothly for you.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

uktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to all

1) Standard of living is far and beyond what I had in the UK
2) Weather
3) Overtaking either side of the road
4) American go-getting attitude to business
5) Food is so much better than the UK for "basic" meals
6) HDTV
7) Turn right on red

oh and...

8) Becoming an extra on a Hollywood movie that's filming nearby.

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uktoamerica
2) Weather
6) HDTV
7) Turn right on red

oh and...

When people say the standard of living is higher in the US, they generally mean they can get more house for their bucks. But the houses are glorified garden-sheds mostly, and there are plenty of places - generally the nicer and/or more interesting ones - that aren't exactly cheap either.

American sub-divisions and strip-malls vs terraced houses and the local high street - no contest.

And to me there are lots of things that relate to SoL that are infinitely more important than houses - history, culture, quality of relationships...

As for food being better in the US - you're having a laugh, surely!!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Elvira, do you live in the US or are you back in the UK?

If you don't mind me asking, if you do live in the US, what brought you here?

Can PM me if you like, or tell me to bugger off!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:38 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Leeds_Lass
Elvira, do you live in the US or are you back in the UK?

If you don't mind me asking, if you do live in the US, what brought you here?

Can PM me if you like, or tell me to bugger off!
I live in California - because of DH's work
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uktoamerica
2) Weather
6) HDTV
7) Turn right on red

oh and...

Turn right on red took a bit of getting used to!!
Don't know how many toots I got at first cause I kept forgetting.
Now when family are over they're screaming 'what the hell are you doing, that was a red"
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:46 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
When people say the standard of living is higher in the US, they generally mean they can get more house for their bucks. But the houses are glorified garden-sheds mostly, and there are plenty of places - generally the nicer and/or more interesting ones - that aren't exactly cheap either.

American sub-divisions and strip-malls vs terraced houses and the local high street - no contest.

And to me there are lots of things that relate to SoL that are infinitely more important than houses - history, culture, quality of relationships...

As for food being better in the US - you're having a laugh, surely!!
I agree with all of that.
Our cost of living is much higher here. Although we have a good cultural district in Pittsburgh it's very expensive to buy tickets compared to the UK.

I used to take my youngest to the opera a few times a year, it was our thing.
Two tickets in the front rows of the dress circle were 15 GBP for two. You had to go in the week admittedly. Here we wouldn't get through the door for that. I get the impression that here in Pittsburgh they seem to want to keep the prices high to maintain an exclusivity. The last time I looked at tickets it would have been $95 each.

Food...not enough choice unless you are looking for processed and then there is no limit to the variety of chemicals you can ingest.

I do like the weather here though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.