Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who likes it here?

Who likes it here?

Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:22 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Who likes it here?

Originally Posted by NJ1974
I guess there are a whole bunch of ex pats out there that are happy with life in the USA and don't feel the need to associate with other British expats and so probably wouldnot even use a forum such as this.

Does one have to be unhappy in the USA in order to associate with other brits? I love my life here, but there are things I miss. One of those things is the British sense of humour, and there is plenty of it around here it seems ( I am fairly new to this site myself).
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by ukmumsie

Also I am getting fed up with people asking me if I am from South Africa or Australia. I know I have been here for 14 yrs but whenever I meet other Brits, they know right away. When they ask where I am from and I say Oxford - blank looks 99%
I'm from S.A. and asked if I'm British all the time We should swop states.....
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I have had fun reading the replies as this is the first time I have ever participated in a forum My homesickness comes from missing the culture (I live in rural Ohio - enough said , and especially my family. My parents are getting older and, coming from a close family, I feel terrible when i cannot be there. i miss the popping in and having a cup of tea. I miss the dry sense of humor. I have close family friends who live in California and I would love to move there (North Cal). I hate the weather here, humid in Summer and freezing snow and ice in the Winter. I do like the schools where I live and the close community. Maybe I am seeing the UK through rose coloured glasses

Also I am getting fed up with people asking me if I am from South Africa or Australia. I know I have been here for 14 yrs but whenever I meet other Brits, they know right away. When they ask where I am from and I say Oxford - blank looks 99%
Welcome to BE I cant believe the amount of Newbies popping out the wood work on this thread.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuggy
Does one have to be unhappy in the USA in order to associate with other brits? I love my life here, but there are things I miss. One of those things is the British sense of humour, and there is plenty of it around here it seems ( I am fairly new to this site myself).
Hiya Spuggy, I have to agree with you about missing the British sense of humour! I miss being able to have a right smutty convo with the girls in the office - it doesn't go down too well in Texas I have one friend who is coming round to my naughty sense of humour
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I think the knitting circle just doubled in size....
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
And you've just joined the Discipline Club.

In a recipient capacity, obviously...
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

This has been an interesting thread. I'm not in the US yet, and not likely to be for a while as I'm just starting the process of getting over there as a nurse. I'm hoping we will cope with the move well as we pretty much on our own as a family unit anyway. We moved up to Scotland 2 years ago from leeds and left my family behind, not that it was a great loss as my parents have never really been all that interested. Don't get me wrong I love them to bits as they do us, but they are not exactly doting grandparents and would rather not bother, we probably see them 2 or three times a year. My inlaws live over in Cyprus and have done for over 10 years and we see them maybe once a year or less. Both myself and my husband are only children, and my parents were both only children so we have no brothers or sisters, aunts and uncles. We have one or 2 close friends and that is it, we are up here in Scotland basically on our own and thats fine by us, we have always managed and always will. I know england to scotland is not the same as Uk to US but the fact that we are complete loners already probably makes it slightly easier to leave and not pine to come back to family.

Ask me the same question in a few years when we are over in the states though and it might be a different story who knows, you'll never know unless you try.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2montreal
...they mentioned someone called enoch powell who was apparently an anti-immgrant politicians....
he was a prime donkey...came close to making a run for prime minister though.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

When they ask where I am from and I say Oxford - blank looks 99%
where abouts? There's quite a few from Oxford and around
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:39 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

My homesickness comes from missing the culture (I live in rural Ohio - enough said , and especially my family. Maybe I am seeing the UK through rose coloured glasses
I know what you mean, this is the third time in 29 years we have lived here. First time I was going insane, second time I was okay, third time we moved into this village that is an anomaly in Ohio. I still miss the culture in England. Rose coloured glasses, no not really? I was back home for a month last year and my opinion hasn't changed. thank heavens for the internet though and cheap phone calls. I remember in 78 we had to book calls home through the operator and it cost an arm and a leg. Now I can talk to my mum almost every day, or via the net.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

Feel free to purl away dearie.....
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:45 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuggy
I know what you mean, this is the third time in 29 years we have lived here. First time I was going insane, second time I was okay, third time we moved into this village that is an anomaly in Ohio. I still miss the culture in England. Rose coloured glasses, no not really? I was back home for a month last year and my opinion hasn't changed. thank heavens for the internet though and cheap phone calls. I remember in 78 we had to book calls home through the operator and it cost an arm and a leg. Now I can talk to my mum almost every day, or via the net.
I know Yellow Springs and yes it is an anomaly, but is a great little town!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:49 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
where abouts? There's quite a few from Oxford and around
Little village called Brightwell-cum-Sotwell - that really does throw them!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:54 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dante
There's really no reason why I would ever move back to the UK. Not even for the aforementioned million dollars. And I mean that. A million dollars would not last five minutes in the UK, and really wouldn't compensate me enough for the lousy standard of living, crappy job, indiscrimate vandalism, bored Saturday night violence, and miserable weather that I would have to endure for the next 50 years.

Are you Welsh ???
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:57 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
at least English people not living in London are now getting a taste of what's it been like being Scottish or Welsh for that matter
Wtf ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.