Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who else got a Wii for Christmas

Who else got a Wii for Christmas

Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:21 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who else got a Wii for Christmas

Originally Posted by franc11s
At 480p is more than good enough for most everything. If you want great graphics but same-old same-old gaming approach then pick up a PS3 or 360. If you want an innovative gaming system, go for Wii.

We had 2 more controllers arrive this morning so we had a real doubles tennis match with 4 of us playing.... sweet.

At $250, it's a steal.
So your sales and marketing catchphrase is ' Go for a Wii '
Could be a winner, enjoy your system.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 2:03 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, out of the new consoles this year, I think Nintendo are the ones that paid the most attention on what's important. Game play.

Sony is gambling with making their PS3 with BlueRay making a high cost item.

After seeing the Wii in action, I think it will prove to be an excellent machine and the future of games for it is looking good. Imagine a baseball game where the spin and pitch type is picked up by how you use the controller!! Sweet!!!

I haven't got one yet, but I think I will once they are more widely available. I don't do the queue for consoles anymore (got the PS2 on the first run and the DVD had major lip sync issues). I want to wait for any kinks to be worked out and when I can go to the store and get one without being mugged

The Wii is something that Sony should have done with the PS3 instead of trying to force another DVD format (remember the VHS and Beta wars??).

Enjoy your Wii, I'm betting it won't grow old for a long time.

Last edited by rincewind; Dec 30th 2006 at 2:05 am.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Only three posts and you've proved to be the most sensible poster in this thread.... they're all a bunch of middle aged buffoons going to through a midlife crisis.. Playing tennis in your living room,getting 2 different consoles for your kids at Christmas. No wonder kids today have no idea how to entertain themselves and go out into the world and have an adventure and be back in time for tea. This game consoles are just breeding a generation of unsociable coach potatoe kids with the comunication skills of a stroppy blanket.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:31 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
This game consoles are just breeding a generation of unsociable coach potatoe kids with the comunication skills of a stroppy blanket.
Which console do you have then?
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by lionheart
Which console do you have then?
BMW 330ci cant beat it for realism.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Only three posts and you've proved to be the most sensible poster in this thread.... they're all a bunch of middle aged buffoons going to through a midlife crisis.. Playing tennis in your living room,getting 2 different consoles for your kids at Christmas. No wonder kids today have no idea how to entertain themselves and go out into the world and have an adventure and be back in time for tea. This game consoles are just breeding a generation of unsociable coach potatoe kids with the comunication skills of a stroppy blanket.
I have to agree with Rushy, and we are still holding back our Son from these thing's, it will come in time no doubt
Old Dec 30th 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Well speaking as a family who got two different consoles for the kids this Christmas I can tell you the four children we are raising are far from being unsociable couch potato kids with the communication skills of stroppy blankets.

Far from killing their communication skills, the games they play are often tools for starting conversations with other children much as discussing the latest episode of Lace, or what Phillip Schofield did with Gordon the Gopher was when I was a teen.

Games are particularly good at teaching problem solving, some games, such as Animal Crossing for example, encourage letter writing and reading within the game which was actually very helpful as a teaching aid when my youngest was first starting to read.

What in particular I love about the Wii is the fact that we can play it as a family, the kind of families that have the couch potato kids with no communication skills would probably have had unsociable kids without the games, that is sloppy parenting and has nothing to do with the consoles.

Another plus for me is that here in Dallas in the summer, it's too bloody hot for the kids to be outside for any length of time without them getting badly burned, even with high factor sun cream.

The games are something, very often educational, that they can do indoors either on their own, or with their friends through a wifi connection.

My children can play games with their cousins back in the UK now, which is far more social interaction than I managed with my cousins who lived in Australia when I was growing up.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 10:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Well speaking as a family who got two different consoles for the kids this Christmas I can tell you the four children we are raising are far from being unsociable couch potato kids with the communication skills of stroppy blankets.

Far from killing their communication skills, the games they play are often tools for starting conversations with other children much as discussing the latest episode of Lace, or what Phillip Schofield did with Gordon the Gopher was when I was a teen.

Games are particularly good at teaching problem solving, some games, such as Animal Crossing for example, encourage letter writing and reading within the game which was actually very helpful as a teaching aid when my youngest was first starting to read.

What in particular I love about the Wii is the fact that we can play it as a family, the kind of families that have the couch potato kids with no communication skills would probably have had unsociable kids without the games, that is sloppy parenting and has nothing to do with the consoles.

Another plus for me is that here in Dallas in the summer, it's too bloody hot for the kids to be outside for any length of time without them getting badly burned, even with high factor sun cream.

The games are something, very often educational, that they can do indoors either on their own, or with their friends through a wifi connection.

My children can play games with their cousins back in the UK now, which is far more social interaction than I managed with my cousins who lived in Australia when I was growing up.
I agree, it's just like television. You can watch cartoons and MTV or Public television and The History channel. The choice is yours...............
Old Dec 31st 2006, 8:20 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

No wonder kids today have no idea how to entertain themselves and go out into the world and have an adventure and be back in time for tea. This game consoles are just breeding a generation of unsociable coach potatoe kids with the comunication skills of a stroppy blanket.

That's always a parents excuse. Kids who don't ever have any games can still grow up to be snotty, uneducated non-communicative planks of wood.

My kids have had all the games over the past 18 years and I'm proud of the pair of them. They are the exact opposite of what you describe above so explain that one.

If you actually bothered to read into the original post you will see that what I was saying is that the wii *is* quite revolutionary. It doesn't replace anything and I never even hinted that it would. Family games are FUN, always have been and always will. the Wii is a FAMILY game - one of the first for a console IMHO.

Happy New Year.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 10:07 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Family games are FUN
Although Monopoly nearly made me kill a number of people in my family

Saw the Wii in Target the other night (display only). Looks pretty cool. On my list for the New Year....which is only a night away
Old Dec 31st 2006, 10:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Who else got a Wii for Christmas

I don't understand this; Target is charging $249.99 for a Wii system, yet Amazon.com is charging a whopping $495.95...! This is the same product, right?

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html...node=242444011

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-F...8&s=videogames
Old Dec 31st 2006, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I don't understand this; Target is charging $249.99 for a Wii system, yet Amazon.com is charging a whopping $495.95...! This is the same product, right?

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html...node=242444011

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-F...8&s=videogames

Yes it's the same thing; when you buy it through Amazon it's actually coming from someone else who is price gouging.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:17 pm
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

The Wii looks great and w eare trying to get one with no avail. I went to gamestop in Plano, TX the other day and they have had PS3's sitting in their stockroom all week, people are even returning them once they realise they cant make a fast buck off of them. yet the Wii you cannot get for love nor money.