British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Who else got a Wii for Christmas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/who-else-got-wii-christmas-415868/)

franc11s Dec 29th 2006 3:06 pm

Who else got a Wii for Christmas

Finally, the industry has woken up and produced a computer console that's a family entertainment system by coming up with a completely new approach to gaming. My wife and I never really played games but this changes EVERYTHING :)

This thing is amazing, truly. We have had such a laugh with hours and hours (even my wife and 85 year old father-in-law) over Christmas.

The whole concept is the new "hand-held" controller - if you can call it that. You hold it in your hand and actually "play" tennis by swinging your arms and moving around - it's so "real" it's scary.

I thought that when I read about people suing due to breaking their TV's with the controller flying out of their hands or hitting things was just another "sue everyone" America... Not true. My wife nearly got whacked in the back of her head by her sister playing tennis (her sister is 50 and my wife is 43 !!!!)... But we were crying lauging.

We've had real bowling tournaments and it really feels like you are bowling as you can actually twist, go fast and do what you can with a normal ball just by "almost really" bowling with the controller. The only difference is you are not holding a 15 pound ball!!

Anyway, since this is so radically different and I know how we brits like a good laugh, I thought I'd drop a note in here and see who else got one and what other stories you have already....

In our family, this is by far, the BEST computer console EVER :)

NC Penguin Dec 29th 2006 3:17 pm

Re: Who else got a Wii for Christmas

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 4234579)
Finally, the industry has woken up and produced a computer console that's a family entertainment system by coming up with a completely new approach to gaming. My wife and I never really played games but this changes EVERYTHING :)

This thing is amazing, truly. We have had such a laugh with hours and hours (even my wife and 85 year old father-in-law) over Christmas.

The whole concept is the new "hand-held" controller - if you can call it that. You hold it in your hand and actually "play" tennis by swinging your arms and moving around - it's so "real" it's scary.

I thought that when I read about people suing due to breaking their TV's with the controller flying out of their hands or hitting things was just another "sue everyone" America... Not true. My wife nearly got whacked in the back of her head by her sister playing tennis (her sister is 50 and my wife is 43 !!!!)... But we were crying lauging.

We've had real bowling tournaments and it really feels like you are bowling as you can actually twist, go fast and do what you can with a normal ball just by "almost really" bowling with the controller. The only difference is you are not holding a 15 pound ball!!

Anyway, since this is so radically different and I know how we brits like a good laugh, I thought I'd drop a note in here and see who else got one and what other stories you have already....

In our family, this is by far, the BEST computer console EVER :)

Report back in six months time. The novelty may have worn off by then.

NC Penguin

franc11s Dec 29th 2006 3:22 pm

True BUT.... it's also more than a game, it's a permanent fixture to our plasma and gives :-

Internet access - we were watching my sons you-tube videos on the BIG screen rather than crowding around my laptop.

3D Weather - ok just fun but cool.

Fitness - don't laugh, I have tennis elbow so it works :scared: I also had to REALLY sit in the corner after round 1 of boxing my 15 year old.. I was kn**ckered.

I think slingbox will come out for it and allow me to watch Brit TV through it.

My wife can finally show all of her PHOTOS on the big screen and VIDEO's with a controller even SHE can use :)

Soon I'll be able to watch my networked MPEGS on it from UKNOVA and do away with my pinnacle media center.

and more..

So I think it'll be around for quite some time to come... IMHO...

franc11s Dec 29th 2006 3:35 pm

If you want to see the Wii in action - check this out..

Slightly bigger screen than me :)

http://www.thatvideosite.com/video/3785

nethead Dec 29th 2006 4:01 pm

I really really want one.

Sarah Dec 29th 2006 4:37 pm

sounds fab - what else can you play on it besides sports though?

franc11s Dec 29th 2006 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah (Post 4234745)
sounds fab - what else can you play on it besides sports though?

Pretty much anything. It'll still play all the old Ninentdo 64 games. There's already tons of stuff on line...... through the web as well.

Then there's all the typically adventure, fighting, skiing, skateboarding, adventure stuff..

dan_alford Dec 29th 2006 6:17 pm

I got one for Christmas. I agree its great fun. My wife and I play tennis on it a lot and she really likes the bowling game. As for other games I have Zelda (Role playing/ Adventure game)and Call of Duty 3 (First person shooter) for it and both are good fun.

The weather channel is neat also. I hope they get a Google Maps/Earth app for it with the same control mechanism.

It might not have the best graphics but the gameplay sure makes up for it. There have even been reports online of PS3's sitting on game store shelves whilst people are still having problems finding Wii's.

Dan725 Dec 29th 2006 6:59 pm

Didn't know the Wii could provide internet access, that makes it more attractive, certainly. I take it thats via wifi, and is configurable with your usual router security options?

Are all the games of the swing the controller around your head type? I can see how that would get on your nerves after a while - are there any games that you can play in the regular couch potato fashion?

dan_alford Dec 29th 2006 7:21 pm

Not all of the games are as active as the sports game. Zelda uses mostly wrist movement with the pointer part and you move by using the stick on the nunchuck attachment. Call of Duty 3 uses the pointer part as the gun and the stick for movement.

snorkmaiden Dec 29th 2006 8:35 pm

We got a Wii, we're having a great time with it. I am really enjoying the tennis and the kids are working their way through Zelda Twilight Princess at the moment.

We got ours on release day by driving around targets in the early hours looking for a line to join which wasn't too long. Then we hid it for the kids to get on Christmas morning. Just before Christmas, our Target had PS3's available, but no Wii's.

The company my hubby works for got everyone either a Wii or a 360 for Christmas and so we got the 360 and hid it, so on Christmas morning the kids had both systems to open, my ten year old practically wept with joy :D

The wrist straps have been recalled, so if you go to the Wii site and give them your serial number, they will send you new ones. I've just had the email saying mine are on the way, and if you sign up and register your Wii, you get an extra 90 days of warranty. If you register more products, like the Gamecube, DS, SP etc I think you have to register 3, you get three months of Nintendo Power magazine for free as well.

Dan725 Dec 29th 2006 8:35 pm

I see it doesn't have the HD graphics like the Xbox 360 and PS3, I guess that was to keep costs down, but that might trip them up in the longer term.

Hugh Handbag Dec 29th 2006 8:48 pm

Not trying to be funny or nothing but why not leave the house and actually go bowling, fishing, golfing etc.

Dan725 Dec 29th 2006 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Hugh Handbag (Post 4235135)
Not trying to be funny or nothing but why not leave the house and actually go bowling, fishing, golfing etc.

:D :D :D :D :D

You're not funny. And the OP didn't ask "Who else went bowling, fishing and golfing for Christmas", did he?!

franc11s Dec 29th 2006 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 4235105)
I see it doesn't have the HD graphics like the Xbox 360 and PS3, I guess that was to keep costs down, but that might trip them up in the longer term.

At 480p is more than good enough for most everything. If you want great graphics but same-old same-old gaming approach then pick up a PS3 or 360. If you want an innovative gaming system, go for Wii.

We had 2 more controllers arrive this morning so we had a real doubles tennis match with 4 of us playing.... sweet.

At $250, it's a steal.