Blackpool 1972-75
Clapham 1975-76
Ealing 1976-80
Chapel Hill, NC 1980-82
Milton Keynes 1983-85
Towcester 1985-87
Wellingborough 1987-2001
Wilmington, NC 2001- present

Carlisle, Preston, Blackpool & Wilmington seem to have cropped up before.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:29 am
Gravity Always Wins

a lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant future

Born Paisley, Scotland 1978
Still in Paisley! Haven't managed to escape the damn place yet, but moving next month to Delaware/Pennsyvania border area. (Not sure exactly where we'll be staying permanently but we'll be in Landenberg, PA for a coupla months.)
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:30 am
Gravity Always Wins

a lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant future

Originally posted by hardasnails

We might well end up staying in Wilmington, DE.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 5:18 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Portland - Dorset
Perth - W.Australia
Portland - Dorset
Mesquite- Texas
Garland- Texas
Rowlett- Texas
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 5:25 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by hardasnails
Born Carlisle
CrossHills
Clitheroe
Forton (near Preston)
Blackpool 1972-75
Clapham 1975-76
Ealing 1976-80
Chapel Hill, NC 1980-82
Milton Keynes 1983-85
Towcester 1985-87
Wellingborough 1987-2001
Wilmington, NC 2001- present

Welcome to britishexpats!

Take a pew and tell us more about yourself if you'd like.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:23 am
Just Joined

vwright is an unknown quantity at this point
Default See you are in Redmond?, whats it like?

Originally posted by Big Vern
Leeds
Borehamwood
Barnet
Leeds
Crowthorne
Bracknell
Southsea
Borehamwood
Newcastle
Leeds
Cornelius, NC
Redmond, WA
Hi,

So whats it like working in Redmond?, - Where abouts do you live Seattle, or closer to Redmond?

I have just been offered a move with my company to the Seattle area and will be moving over once the visa process is complete (!), with my fiance.

We currently live in Leamington Spa.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

It's absolutely superb. We love it - we were in NC for a while but it just doesn't hold a candle (IMHO) to the Pacific NorthWest.

It's very green, trees everywhere, mountains in the distance (including the spectacular Mount Rainier), great facilities, good schools, excellent shopping centre.

Housing is pricey - we rent a 4 bed/2 bath house for $1850, and to buy something similar you're looking at $400k.

Downtown Seattle is a twenty minute drive away, Bellevue (another nice city) is five mins down the road..the area has a very european feel, and virtually everywhere has sidewalks, so walking from A to B isn't a problem - lots of people do walk.

There are two big lakes, Washington and Sammamish and loads of parks and recreational areas. It's a very ethnically diverse area, a mix of all peoples, and the (plentiful) food available kinda reflects that..

I'm going to stop now, I sound like the WA tourist board..

In a nutshell, moving to here made the US expeience for us, so much so that we don't want to move anywhere else....
Old Aug 4th 2004, 1:13 am
Old-Fart

Bangers&Mash is on a distinguished road

Born: Ashtom Keynes Wilts
Moved: Cheltenham Glos
Emigrated: Bristol Connecticut

Old Aug 4th 2004, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Big Vern
It's absolutely superb. We love it - we were in NC for a while but it just doesn't hold a candle (IMHO) to the Pacific NorthWest.

It's very green, trees everywhere, mountains in the distance (including the spectacular Mount Rainier), great facilities, good schools, excellent shopping centre.

Housing is pricey - we rent a 4 bed/2 bath house for $1850, and to buy something similar you're looking at $400k.

Downtown Seattle is a twenty minute drive away, Bellevue (another nice city) is five mins down the road..the area has a very european feel, and virtually everywhere has sidewalks, so walking from A to B isn't a problem - lots of people do walk.

There are two big lakes, Washington and Sammamish and loads of parks and recreational areas. It's a very ethnically diverse area, a mix of all peoples, and the (plentiful) food available kinda reflects that..

I'm going to stop now, I sound like the WA tourist board..

In a nutshell, moving to here made the US expeience for us, so much so that we don't want to move anywhere else....

Fantastic to hear, sounds superb!, we were thinking of living in downtown Seattle - I would have to commute to Redmond, but my commute is a hours drive now. I guess that as long as I avoid rush hour traffic my commute should be less than that??
Old Aug 4th 2004, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Overthere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
I come from Croydon too! Well, actually Selsdon, but no one would have heard of it except maybe you.

Croydon, Surrey1969-1991
Coulsdon, Surrey 1991-1995
Croydon, Surrey 1995-1996
Hong Kong 1996-1997
Croydon (again ) for last 4 months of 1997
Andover, Hampshire 1998-2002
Tampa, FL 2002-2003
St Augustine, FL 2003- present
Oh yes, I know Selsdon well as I actually lived in Sanderstead for five years and no-one would have heard of that except you!
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by vwright
Fantastic to hear, sounds superb!, we were thinking of living in downtown Seattle - I would have to commute to Redmond, but my commute is a hours drive now. I guess that as long as I avoid rush hour traffic my commute should be less than that??
About 30 mins, maybe, if the bridges aren't too busy.

Why downtown Seattle?? If you're not too worried about having a house, Bellevue and Redmond have hundreds of reasonably priced apartment buildings, and lots of facilities - but you can get into Seattle easily for evenings out or shopping either by car or by the public transport system, which is actually pretty good. It might work out cheaper than an apartment in the city.

Mind you, if you're urban kind of people, Seattle itself is a great place...we've only just scratched the surface as we don't get over there that much, but we're really looking forward to investigating further!!!

Back in the UK I used to commute between Leeds and Manchester, often the M62 would be a t20 mile traffic jam, some days it could take 2.5 or even three hours each way. After a year or so of that it stops being fun! I live in Education Hill at the top of Redmond (surprisingly enough it's called that cos the schools are up there) and it takes me about 20 mins to get to my job south of Bellevue - and I get there with a big grin on my face...
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the info, I think my relo package will allow us to stay in temp. accomodation while we search for the best place to live. I have visited Seattle a couple of times with work and LOVE downtown seattle, we have no kids so no schooling / child care to worry about, so being the centre of all the social life and fun is important to us. Also we have lived in suburbia for the last 5 years in the UK so we thought we may try city living for a while.

Also, apparently a lot of company colleagues live in Redmond and Bellvue (guess who I work for !!) so we were eager to live somewhere a bit more diverse. (but thats only what I have heard).