Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to stay - Boston area

Where to stay - Boston area

Old May 6th 2010, 6:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to stay - Boston area

Originally Posted by N1cky

I think I will do as you suggest and keep my eyes open for a deal around Copley Square, I can cancel my current res up to the day before we go.
There are loads of hotels around Copley Square, Heyes Convention Centre and Backbay area, all within 10 mins of each other on the greenline of the T.

Greenline is goo for getting you to a commuter rail if you wanted to travel further out....Redline is more reliable and regular and less fiddly to figure out, but if your not going further outbound than Copley, you should be all set as the greenline branches out just past there.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There are loads of hotels around Copley Square, Heyes Convention Centre and Backbay area, all within 10 mins of each other on the greenline of the T.

Greenline is goo for getting you to a commuter rail if you wanted to travel further out....Redline is more reliable and regular and less fiddly to figure out, but if your not going further outbound than Copley, you should be all set as the greenline branches out just past there.
Old May 6th 2010, 9:22 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I understood what you meant

We won't be out past midnight, we'll have the little one with us.

I was just feeling better and up you pop We normally head out in the morning, do some sight seeing, get a late lunch, do some more seeing, head back to the hotel around 4.00 rest up for a couple of hours and head out for food.

Even though we have the little one with us, we will happily walk 5-7 miles a day, and don't mind walking for half an hour to a restaurant and back on an evening.

Quite like using public transport while on vacation, but try to stay away from taxi's.

I think I will do as you suggest and keep my eyes open for a deal around Copley Square, I can cancel my current res up to the day before we go.
Copley Square's great - Marriott, Westin, Courtyard etc. Close to Newbury St for shopping/restaurants and also an indoor shopping mall in case of bad weather (or cooling down if it's really hot!)

Staying at Long Wharf/Fanueil Hall and around is touristy but also lovely in the summer if you're interested in jumping on any of the ferries. Also loads of shopping and restaurants about. You can even see the seal tank in the aquarium from some of the bedrooms in the Marriott Long Wharf - kind fun to watch them at night just before going to bed! (I reckon they get a kick out of that too in reverse).

Other places as possibilities: Charlestown - there's a Residence Inn just across the bridge - easy walking to all the sights in Boston and also Charlestown itself is lovely and olde worldy to stroll round and has good restaurants.

Cambridge - around MIT: Marriott and Residence Inn are there - a little bit out of the way but nowhere near as bad as where you're at now. T stop right there and a few restaurants too - plus you're on the red line half way between downtown and Harvard square and is also walkable to places.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:22 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
and a circle,
Old May 6th 2010, 11:23 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Copley Square's great - Marriott, Westin, Courtyard etc. Close to Newbury St for shopping/restaurants and also an indoor shopping mall in case of bad weather (or cooling down if it's really hot!)

Staying at Long Wharf/Fanueil Hall and around is touristy but also lovely in the summer if you're interested in jumping on any of the ferries. Also loads of shopping and restaurants about. You can even see the seal tank in the aquarium from some of the bedrooms in the Marriott Long Wharf - kind fun to watch them at night just before going to bed! (I reckon they get a kick out of that too in reverse).

Other places as possibilities: Charlestown - there's a Residence Inn just across the bridge - easy walking to all the sights in Boston and also Charlestown itself is lovely and olde worldy to stroll round and has good restaurants.

Cambridge - around MIT: Marriott and Residence Inn are there - a little bit out of the way but nowhere near as bad as where you're at now. T stop right there and a few restaurants too - plus you're on the red line half way between downtown and Harvard square and is also walkable to places.
Pity the Fairmont aren't doing a deal. The Fairmont chain used to (and still may) offer discounts for agents.
Old May 7th 2010, 12:01 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Pity the Fairmont aren't doing a deal. The Fairmont chain used to (and still may) offer discounts for agents.
Yes, thats the first place I looked, but no deal there at the moment. Hopefully something will come up
Old May 7th 2010, 1:53 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

IHG Friends & Family promotion. Not sure how this compares to rates you've seen - only drawback is it's advance purchase.
Old May 7th 2010, 2:02 am
Sursum corda

IHG Friends & Family promotion. Not sure how this compares to rates you've seen - only drawback is it's advance purchase.
that often means norefundable also.
Old May 7th 2010, 9:36 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by cindyabs
that often means norefundable also.
Yes - that's exactly what it is. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Old May 7th 2010, 11:17 am
Sursum corda

Yes - that's exactly what it is. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
no prob, always an issue for my corporate clients with an eye to watching the travel budget.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:12 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I have changed my hotel to Tremont Street overlooking the Burial Grounds, next to Boston Common.

Sounds a much better location.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old May 11th 2010, 4:47 pm
Septic Sprout

OK, I have changed my hotel to Tremont Street overlooking the Burial Grounds, next to Boston Common.

Sounds a much better location.

Thanks everyone for your help.
It is - I've stayed there many times myself and know the area well. It's very central and isn't too much of a walk to any one area of Boston. There are loads of restaurants very close by and it's also on the edge of Chinatown if that's of interest.

Feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions.
Old May 11th 2010, 4:57 pm
Sursum corda

You'll be able to wave at some of my ancestors over across the street.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:50 am

I am going to buy a Charlie Card to get around. Anyone know if I can just buy and load 1 card for all of us, or if I need to buy 1 card each?
Old Jul 6th 2010, 2:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to buy a Charlie Card to get around. Anyone know if I can just buy and load 1 card for all of us, or if I need to buy 1 card each?
One card is fine, just pass it back and forth over the turnstyle. Didn't realise you ahd to buy the actual card though, but I got m ine ages ago when they were giving them out at the info type desks, you just had to load them up yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.